Thread: Hewescraft Wiper Upgrade

Default Hewescraft Wiper Upgrade

This project stemmed from a wiper motor post in the power boat section.
    I finally got the wipers wired and installed. I decided to relocate them to the top of the window to help minimize water leaking in on the motors and in the glove compartment. It was actually a pretty easy swap. I'm using a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate with Marine Sealant and a couple bolts in the original holes to cover up the old holes. The motors were mounted up top with plenty of room and I sealed up around the bolts with sealant as well. I used the original 2 position switch so I could use the high and low feature on the motors. The downside is that the park feature gets confused due to each motor running at a slightly different pace. But they match up and stop pretty quick. Overall, It's a good upgrade from the original wipers. Here are a couple photos of one side.
    Wiper motors are MRV (AFI) and were bought at www.surpluscenter.com for $29.99 each and the wiper arms are AFI Pantos from Jamestown Distributors. Next, I'll install a couple covers over the motors to clean it up some.

Old Holes below the window.

New holes above.

Motors inside.

Finished
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Looks good Rob, can i ask what the arms cost ya? Jamestown ain't cheap !! Its funny i ordered my motors before you and only got them today? or did you go for faster shipping?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

WOW. It took that long? Must be because you live in the Valley...... LOL I just ordered them on the phone. USPS is how they came. Nothing special. The arms are the AFI deluxe adjustable 17-22" pantos. I paid $49.99 each. About the cheapest I could find online. It's a shame they cost so much compared to the motors. And I used 18" ANCO wipers from Wally World. They fit the arms just fine.
    MMSI# 338232859

you can fix the parking problem by installing diodes in the park circuit.since they are both wired to one switch the power back feeds from one motor to the other

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but the normal load on each motor is about 2 amps. Stall is much more and it would take a heck of a diode to handle that. So I ordered a DPDT switch that has On-Off-Momentary. I'll just use the slow speed and put the high on the momentary side. Since it's a DPDT switch, no diodes needed.
    MMSI# 338232859

aslong as the park wires are wired into the same switch changing to a dpdt switch will not solve the park problem.the park circuit must still recieve power after you turn off the wipers or they just stop where ever they happen to be and not park.it doesn,t take much of a diode at all to make this work.I worked for one of the largest hewes craft dealers in the country as head rigger and have done this at least a hunderd times

Ok then. Thanks for the info. I'll let ya know how it works out nest week when I'm off work again.
    MMSI# 338232859

Digging around the archives. I had a problem last time out with my hewes starboard side washer. I am wanting to just replace the motor with stock equivalent - but with a delay control module of some sort. Any recommendations as to where to buy? I haven't troubleshot my issue yet. It started out as intermittent, but then when the freezing spray stuck hard to my windshield and the waves picked up - then it quit working all together.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

From a model A? At least they always worked!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Good one Steve. Bullelkklr, I believe Deweys had a coulple of the replacement motors on the shelf. I'm betting the reason your wiper stopped now afte it iced up is that the plastic gears inside stripped out. I gave my old motors to Alaska Gray. PM him and see if he has any of his old motors laying around that you might be able to salvage some parts from.
    MMSI# 338232859

I still haven't trouble shot the issue yet. It didn't sound like the motor was even trying to get power - so I am hoping for a bad electrical connection/connector.

I have a 1/2/all perko to wire into it also - and I plan to re-work the majority of the wiring under the dash - it is a mess (a stock mess I believe for the most part).