Thread: Fury 2 vs Firestorm, which one?

Default Fury 2 vs Firestorm, which one?

I'm looking at upgrading the Foxpro. At this point, I'm looking at either the Fury2 or the Firestorm. Looking for input on which one would work best up here. Is the Fury worth the extra $100, seems like it would be since it comes with 50 more sounds and a few more features. A few questions I have are; volume, sound quality, remote and call function in the cold. I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks

RB
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

What are you upgrading from? And how often do you call will determine if you think it is cost effective, they are both good as far as sound goes and how they perform in the cold all determines on the quality of battery that you use. Also if you use a lanyard for your remote tuck it in between your jacket and body when not in use to keep it warm.

I'm upgrading from a spitfire. I'm mostly concerned about remote function in the cold, as that can sometimes be a problem with the spitfire, and the Fury looks to have a significantly more complicated remote than the firestorm. I call fairly often, at least once a week throughout the winter, and hopefully much more this winter.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

I have a spitfire that I have used for 4 seasons and now have a CS-24 this year. I never had remote problems with the spitfire if you do like I mentioned and tuck it in between your jacked and body when not in use. Also a hand warmer and rubber band around the back of it will help alot. The remote functions all depends on your battery selection. If you put in crappy batteries it doesnt matter whhat remote you have its going to be slowww and have delays etc. I always use lithium ion batteries and have never had problems up to -40. Alkaline batteries tend to crap out after about 10 minutes at anything colder than -10. Go over to predatormasters.com if you arent a member and start reading there are literally hundreds of threads over there remember everyone thinks what they are using is the best so take alot of it with a grain of salt read all you can and decide what is best for you.

For the remote in my spitfire I got a 9v lithium rechargeables from radio shack on college that work amazing dont remember the brand off the top of my head but they work great. The lithium costs add up after a while so rechargeables is the only way to go IMO. Hopefully snowcamoman will chime in as he is an E caller GURU and has done far more field testing and research than I have.

I've been using a FoxPro CS24-B now for the past few seasons and am amazed at how well it works here in the cold. The remote with the LCD screen can be sluggish if you keep it out for extended periods of time. I usually keep it in a pocket or in a neoprene cover with handwarmer in it. I almost strictly use the 10 presets on the remote, so don't rely on looking at the screen much. The only things I look at on the screen is when I'm changing my presets, or if I want to look at the timer. I use the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries in the remote and they have lasted me two season's of hard use. The Energizer's are expensive, but well worth it for me and reliable as can be. If you want a caller with a lot of volume and durable enough to take a fall off a snowmachine at -30F on a hard packed trail, check out the CS-24B. If you want, I can meet up with you in Fairbanks and show you my caller.

Thanks Snowcamoman,

I'm in Anchorage, and not sure when I'll be in Fairbanks next, but if you don't mind meeting with labman, he's a good friend in Fairbanks and can give me the scoop.

It looks like the CS-24B has the exact same features and remote as the Fury 2, so the difference between the two must be in the speakers. Can someone elaborate on the differences between the two set ups? I'm assuming the CS-24B has a higher quality speaker with more volume? How much value would it be to have the two speaker set up, such as on the fury2?
    Henry Ford

riverboater,
    I see labman tried PM'ing me, but my inbox is full. I cleaned it out, so I can receive messages now.

The CS-24B and Fury use the same remote like you said. The speaker of the CS-24B is mostly aluminum, except for the rear cap and the center part of the cone. It has a really good sound to it and is tough as nails. I haven't put the Fury and CS-24 side by side for volume, but would guess the CS-24 would have the edge in volume a bit. It's really loud and really spreads the sound out with the size and shape of that speaker. For up here, the CS-24 is about as perfect as it gets if you ask me. If you really need serious volume, look at the FoxPro Krakatoa. That thing is beyond loud. The Krakatoa is a big speaker though and probably more than you'd need, unless you call a bunch of snowgeese or crows.

Thanks again snowcamoman,

I just got off the phone with Foxpro. They recommended either the CS-24B or the Hellfire for my style calling. The guy I talked to said that the Hellfire would produce nearly the same volume and quality, if not the same as the CS-24B. The main differences are:

The Hellfire has the same remote as the firestorm, and so it has the same features.

It has only has 2 presets, as opposed to 10

It does not have foxcast (design play lists and automatic volume variations)

It does not have foxfade (can't be used on the CS-24B without an external speaker anyways)

It comes with 25 fewer sounds, and the remote is only good for 150 yards, rather than 200 plus.

The horn is plastic, rather than aluminum. This is my biggest concern with the Hellfire.

There is a substantial price difference between the two, by the time you equip both with rechargeable batteries (recommended by Foxpro for the cold), it comes out to about $280. How valuable are these extra features? I realize that is a subjective question, but I'm not sure the extra features of the CS-24B would be worth it, since I suspect 2 presets would likely be sufficient for most situations. However, the plastic vs. metal is a big concern, and perhaps that alone is worth the $280.

Thanks,

RB
    Henry Ford

I wouldnt worry much on the speaker as their warranty is pretty darn good if anything should happen and their customer service is top notch.

I checked out the Hellfire at the local Sportamans WH and it looks like a nice caller. I assumed that it would sound just as good as the CS-24 on the volume/sound quality side of things. I know that if I had had the Hellfire last year when it accidentally fell off my machine, the speaker would've been ruined. Of course, I don't know of many callers that can handle that type of fall and not crack in the cold. If you're going to be hunting from a warm vehicle a lot, I'd say go for the Hellfire. If you're going to be on a snowmachine, I'd get the CS-24. The trails I ride and the way I strap down the CS-24 would crack the speaker on the Hellfire. Don't worry about the extra sounds, that's not a big deal and you really only need a handful of them to do what you want. The FHSS technology in the CS-24 TX500 remote is really nice and has been reliable for me in instances where the 418MHz remotes typically fail. I've never used Foxcast, so cannot comment on that. Think about it this way. If you go on a long trip on your snowmachine in the cold and your e-caller gets damaged due to the cold, is it worth $280 in savings? I'll meet up with labman and he can check out my CS-24 and report back with you about it too.

I deeply apologies for going slightly off subject........I am interested in calling from my cabin using speakers mounted under the eves powered by 110/120 volt. I have a wolf or two wolves in the yard one "night" a week. Does anyone make a system for 110/120 volt, if not I guess I could use a 12v deep cycle battery keep the battery in the cabin and set the 12v speakers down the shooting lane. Any thoughts......???? I learned a lot from this thread. Thank you.

AGL, are you wanting to use 120AC? If so your laptop is a perfect source and all you have to do is run the mini-jack out to an amplifier of some sort, an older stereo works good. I bet you could rig up something from the second hand store here in Kenai for under $50. Not sure if that was the direction you were thinking?

Sounds can be had all over the internet, just play them with media player, itunes, etc. PM me if you want more detailed directions.

Thanks, I had not thought of that. But yes 110/120 AC.

Thanks again Snowcamoman and BSJ425, I think I've been talked into the CS-24B. My next question is about batteries: What batteries are you running in the CS-24B? I did a quick search on google, and it looks like you could get a pretty high powered rechargeble Li-ion battery for a lot less than what fox-pro offers on their web page, that would last a lot longer. It seems as though the external battery pouch would give me a lot more flexibility in the size of battery I used.
    Henry Ford

riverboater.
    I'm using 14.8 volt rechargeable Li-Ion battery packs. They're over 6 years old now and going as strong as day 1. The only problem with them is that you have to get the connector and solder them up for your FoxPro. If you get in touch with FoxPro, they can sell you a pigtail connector that all you need to do is solder the wires, instead of the connector itself. Soldering those connectors is tricky and FoxPro does a better job that a standard guy can do at home. The Li-Ion's are not cheap, but they run great in the cold and hold a charge for quite a long time.

Well, I've finally been able to get out with the new call. I've been out a few times in the last two weeks, and picked up the first critter last night, a lynx. I'm real happy with the call so far, my only complaints are that it is easy to bump the remote on accidentally, and it is a metal horn, so care must be taken not to brush it against brush or other things that would make noise. If the remote gets bumped occasionally if you don't check that it is off before you turn on the call it will start playing a random sound at full volume. I ordered a 14.8 volt Li-Ion batter pack for it from amazon, which has worked very well so far, with one exception:

Last night I was on a stand when the call abruptly quit playing. The green light on the back of the call was still on, but it wouldn't play sound. I thought that the battery pack was finally dead. I had ridden about 5 miles back off the road via snowmachine, and when I got back to the truck the charger indicated the battery pack was still full. When it warmed up a bit it started working again. It wasn't absurdly cold when I left the truck, around -10. I suppose it could have dropped significantly when I dropped into the valley on the machine, but it didn't feel like it did, though I have no way to tell exactly what the temperature was down there. I was under the impression the lithium battery pack would solve these problems, but maybe not? The rest of the night I kept a hand warmer in the battery pouch and it worked just fine. Snowcamoman, or anyone else running li-ion batteries, what sort of cold weather performance are you seeing out of your set up(s)?

Thanks

Attachment 66428
    Henry Ford

I have had my li-ion batteries out calling down to minus 44 below. They have been cold soaked on the back of my snow machine down to minus 30 easily over the course of a day and performed just fine. My batteries are going on 5 or 6 seasons of use now and still work great.Good job on the lynx too by the way.

Thanks, it seemed like it should not have had a problem at the temperatures I was in, I wonder what was going on?
    Henry Ford

It is possible a cell is bad in the pack. I have not had that happen but it is possible. But you say was working fine when the heat pack was in with it so that might not be the issue.