Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .243 for moose?

Default .243 for moose?

Looking for opinions on whether a .243 would be enough for a moose. Any thoughts?

It has been used before. Not ideal, but with a good bullet and good shot placement it will drop a moose.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    It has been used before. Not ideal, but with a good bullet and good shot placement it will drop a moose.
    +1 on this. That's what my 13yo son shoots and has killed all but a brown bear with it. Like mentioned above, good shot placement is all it takes.

good lung shot, or right below the ear
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

just keep the distance realistic, and you'll be cutting up meat.

If it's recoil, there's other options if you want. If it's sentimental ... then go for it.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by pjstaley View Post
    Looking for opinions on whether a .243 would be enough for a moose. Any thoughts?
    Is an arrow enough.......Yes. Is a .223 Rem. enough........Yes. Is .243 Win. enough......Yes. Good hunter that has harvested 47 moose needs very little cartridge. Virgin on their first (or third) moose hunt thinks they need a large cannon, so it will compensate for their lack of skill and experience/confidence.

.243 wouldn't be my style but I don't see why it wouldn't be adequate.

Good bullet made for big game, some straight shooting and a reasonable distance will give results. Moose are big but die pretty easy.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Roy Weatherby's favorite caliber was a .257 Wby Mag. He took it on a hunting trip and shot an antelope, mule deer, and a moose. Point of it...it's all about shot placement. Know your rifle, understand the ballistics of your ammo, and enjoy your hunt!
    "Shoot straight and keep your powder dry"

Man, I wonder how many times this/similar question asked? And is there possibly a new answer or opinion? Doubt it.

Heck ya it will kill a moose, so will a .22 in the eyeball. Since 06, I have taken 2 moose that I dug .24, .25ish sized, 100 grain approx bullets out of. 1 was fresh, through shoulder blade, slight lung damage, just into other shoulder, slight limp. The other was old and healed over, broke a rib just behind shoulder, slight lung hit, stopped in liver (obvious slight quartering to) but decent angle shot, just not much damage. Other folks using this type caliber has been pretty good for me. Fire away

Quote Originally Posted by pjstaley View Post
    I wouldn't trade you a moose for your 243... or vice versa as that seems illegal.

I'd never loan a moose a 243. At least until they demonstrate they could keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

I have had problems killing Alaskas game with a .243 on occasion and the problem was using the wrong bullet (to save cash). Its probably obvious to most but choose a heavy solid bullet. A .243 is a .308 cartridge just with a much smaller bullet. It is screaming fast so with a small light bullet you can have problems. Choose a heavy slow one as always. (100 grain partition would be my choice) And you would need to be selective about your shots. Shooting in thick cover with no clear shot or no chance of followup might lead to losing wounded game.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I've taken quite a few moose with a .243, always with handloaded Nosler 100grain partitions. As others have said, the bullet type is very important. If you don't reload I think Federal Premium has the same combo.

Federal also offers a Barnes TSX in .243
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

My mom, aunts, and sisters all have plenty of dead moose from a .243.

My daughter shot her first grizzly with a .243 at over 200yards. I agree with selecting the proper bullet and of course shot placement. She got it right behind the shoulder and it tore through the vitals and did what it was supposed to do. So I say yes, but like others have said on here....bullet selection and shot placement.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Is an arrow enough.......Yes. Is a .223 Rem. enough........Yes. Is .243 Win. enough......Yes. Good hunter that has harvested 47 moose needs very little cartridge. Virgin on their first (or third) moose hunt thinks they need a large cannon, so it will compensate for their lack of skill and experience/confidence.
    Having not taken a moose, I agree and would leave the .243 at home and tote the .30-06 instead. Food for thought: I recovered these .243 mushrooms from deer this fall. Both shots were 30 yards or less. Hornady SST 95gr. mushroomed bullets.jpg piled the deer up very quickly, and both rounds busted a rib before making jelly of lungs and liver, stopping under hide on other side. Entry wounds did not bleed at all which made me glad that I didn't have to follow a blood trail.

If its all you have, make it work. Looking to buy something new or get someone started there are better choices. Stepping the bullet weight up would stop alot of the if questions. 7-08 or 308 increase all performance issues and not add much more in recoil.

Due to the lower power levels of 243 you may have a moose that decides to become race horse or a seal; This would entail a lot of tracking or a field-dressing job in knee deep water. HINT: moose seldom run towards camp. The 243 will work but choosing shoots and distances will be paramount. GOOD LUCK !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

good luck finding a blood trail when you have an entry hole as tiny as they come, and no exit hole. When moose run (with 22 caliber or 24 caliber entry holes), they plug up and stop bleeding. Some spots of a moose are rich with fat(especially the ribs or along the back), which may explain why they stop externally bleeding, although the bleeding may continue internally.

Sometimes I like this question: Is a 243 enough for a moose when a bear challenges yah for it? Probably not. Is a 243 enough as a youth rifle with other shooters around backing up the kid? Probably. Some regions of AK are predominantly black bear, while others have a very healthy population of grizz or brown bear.

Wouldn't be my primary gun, I have too much respect for the moose to take the chance. It's a deer caliber, plain n simple. It's not a large or dangerous game gun.

There's a whole spectrum of cartridges that are far more sufficient based off this very same 308 parent case. Doesn't mean yah have to get all magnum mania.

As for the 243 for Moose, I wouldn't! But if you persists, I would definitely recommend one of the premium 85-100 gr bullets. You want to be very careful in the selection of a cartridge, there are a lot of 243 varmint loads out there that are definitely not appropiate!
    I recommed these:
    Federal Premium Vital Shok with 100 gr Nosler Partition
    Remington Premier with 90 gr Swift Scirocco
    Federal Premium with 85 gr Barnes Triple Shok X
    Federal Power Shok 100 gr (Hornady bullet)
    Remington Express 100 gr Core Lokt (old standby)

The first three are expensive, but will hold together and "get-r-done". The last two are cheaper standard lead core bullets with the core bonded to the jacket and have been around for a long time and are proven performers on DEER sized game. But if he is going for Moose with a 243, I would spend the $35/box and get good ammo!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast