Thread: ATV Tire Size??

Question ATV Tire Size??

Buying the 2007 Yamaha 700 Grizzly in 2 weeks and was wondering on tire sizes. I have a 500 Quadrunner with 27 in Blackwaters on it and I've never had a problem with it turning them. I was thinking either 27" or 28" Mudlite ITP's on aluminum wheels for my new ride when I pick it up. I heard anything bigger than 26" tires and your CV's and tranny take a beating is this true cause I was liking the idea of the 28" tires, I ride in the mud and goo alot to get to my hunting area. Got a friend with a 660 and he has 28" tires doesn't seem to have any problems that I know of. The dealer said you only gain a little but that little never hurts does it? Just looking for everyone elses input on this I don't want to sacrafice a lot of power cause I tow a meat wagon too just want the all around package. Thanks

With a 700 powerplant you can easily get away with 28's. The Yamaha's have a super tough, probably the best cvt, on the market. As long as the meats fit in the wheel well I think you are golden. The 660's have had problems with cv joints but I think a lot of those problems are contributed to a heavy hand on the throttle. When your stuck, break out the winch, it's useless to dig yourself a hole to the other end of the world and that is when nasty things happen.

If you feel that you have lost too much power due to larger tires you can always install a clutch kit which will bring most of the power right back to where it was with stock tires.

I have 28" bugs on my 750 brute force. I am been sporting those tires for almost three years now and about 2200 miles later I have had no major problems. I replace belts more often than most but my cvt design is a spin and grab which will eat belts much easier than the ultramatic design on the Yammies. With a clutch kit and oversize tires I can mash the throttle from a dead stop and I will be facing the sky. It's amazing what a clutch kit will do.

Take a look at mudbugs. They are just as "lite" if not lighter than mudlites in the same size. IMO they get better traction and are better in the mud.

I have 27's on my 06 Griz. I put in a clutch kit also and it made a HUGE difference.

Default Clutch Kit?

Is it hard to put in the clutch kit? I'm good with tools but inexperienced in ATV workings and don't want to jump in over my head. Where can I buy one at the dealer? Thanks and keep the info coming.

Heel clicker makes a good one (reportedly). Go to ATVFrontier.com and send "Cob" a message about it. He will hook you up for around $180 if I remember right. Install wasn't very difficult from what I have seen.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

For the Griz you can go with the Highlifter Clutch kit made by EPI. www.highlifter.com They have a couple of them. The "Outlaw" kit is designed for machines with the 29" inch tires. I have the regular one. I installed it myself except for changing out the big spring on the secondary. I pulled the pulley and took it to my dealer and had them swap the spring for 20 bucks. HL sells a spring compressor if you want it.

It's best if you have access to an impact wrench. The kits come with instructions. You do have to change the wet clutch springs which means draining the oil and pulling a cover to get to them. In so doing you need to replace the gasket. You can get it from your dealer for a couple bucks. Yammi actually calls it a "carb gasket" for some reason. Make sure you get it before you start the install.

The clutch kit was the best 200 bucks I spent on my quad after going with taller tires. It gives the low end back and makes a HUGE difference with reverse since reverse is high range, not low.

Thumbs up Thanks

Well I spent 3 1/2 hours checking all the stuff that all of you have put in here. Wow is there a lot of info in these sights. I will be putting on 28" tires for sure now. Too many choices.... I have had 27" Mud Bugs and really liked them, I like the ITP 589's also just haven't tried them yet I ride the swamps and trails I haven't decided on the tire yet more info on all your experiences in the field would be great. I was planning on a 10" tire in the front and a 12" in the rear any thoughts on this? I currently run a 9" and 12". And I will be adding a clutch kit. Anyone have 29 or 30 in tires??

My buddy silvertipgriz over at www.atvfrontier.com ran 29inch outlaws for a while. For an all around tire they were just to much. You reach a point of no return where you just start breakiing stuff. He has run 589's, Mudlites, and both 28 and 29 inch outlaws. He now runs 28 inch Highlifter MST's. Swampwitches are similar. AKMud runs them. Personally, if I were gonna tire up my new quad I'd probably go with the HL MST's. They have all the right stuff. Go over to atvfrontier and raise SilverTipGriz for a first hand report.

I run 27inch MudMachine BiTri Claws, great swamp and trail tire. When I bought them the MST's and many other tires were not in production. Lots more good ones out there now.

Thumbs up A pic of the swampwitch tires...

I went with the 10" in front and 12" in the rear and the setup works great. I did have to use spacers on the front to clear the tie rod ends though.

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I think the company that makes swampwitches makes the MST's for HighLifter. Of course HL claims their tires tires have a special "mo-betta" rubber compound. Who knows for sure. I don't think they make swampwitches in 28's though do they? Not sure. Anyhow, if they'd have been on the market when I bough tires I'd have bought them or the MST's in 28's. According to my friend they really have a good grip on slick rocks, logs, etc. as well as being a great mudtire. My claws don't grip qutie as good as I'd like at times. But they are great in the slop and decent on the trails.

Consider putting aftermarket wheels on that griz. The extra inch or inch and a half offset per wheel gives the griz a great stance. A little wider. Also, most griz owners remove the rear anti-sway/anti-articualiton bar. You can stiffen up the shocks a little to dial in the suspension. It's useless unless you like to do highspeed cornering. Otherwise it just limits suspension travel. Unless they have redesigned it on the 07's.

Also the MST's have a sipped thread and have more sidewall thread, according to the great folks at HL. A buddy of mine has these in 27" and they were impressive at our Pinochle ride last year. Unfortunately we didn't get to play in the slop. If you like to ride fast even with 28" tires I can keep up with some of the faster atv's out there, but maybe that is the vtwin power talking. I guess that doesn't matter if I sink it in a creek or blow an exhaust pipe. Two trips and two booboo's.

Talking As always..

You are all a wealth of knowledge and make my choices alot easier. Thank You for taking the time to share your experiences and opinions and please feel free to keep posting I still have a week before I purchase the new wheeler so I'm spending hours every night doing my research.

I run 28's on my 03 grizz with a outlaw clutch kit. Them ITP's mudlites are great-a good 6 ply. have not needed to use my 2.5 winch much at all but when I did I needed it. I run up thru the brooks with mine. Don't know how much I trust the new 07's with all the diagnostic that are required when a break down insues, something the old grizz is better at when in the field I suspect.

Default Do you have a lift kit?

Was just wondering if you have a lift kit on your Griz? How much tire clearance do you have in the front and rear? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    I run 28's on my 03 grizz with a outlaw clutch kit. Them ITP's mudlites are great-a good 6 ply. have not needed to use my 2.5 winch much at all but when I did I needed it. I run up thru the brooks with mine. Don't know how much I trust the new 07's with all the diagnostic that are required when a break down insues, something the old grizz is better at when in the field I suspect.

no I would not put a lift kit on as that might just tip me over at some point or make a mess out of my output/drive shafts. I clear many obstacles just fine with them tires. Clearance is great, no tire buff in fenders etc when hammering the machine or turning. I have used mine pretty darn good up here in the Brooks and find no other machine to match its abilities-you will enjoy your bike thoroughly!Tremendous pulling power! Just make sure you don't tweak your front shaft(s) when locked in to 4wheel dr. lock-this is based on my older 03 grizz remember-understand the 07's are pretty well built compared to the 03's with EFI and improved steering and what ever else.

have fun.

Default mud lite xtr

I bought a 700 grizz about two weeks and I think you will love your machine!! I'm running 26inch mud lite XTRs and they will go anywhere I have the balls to take it. If you do decide to go with the Mud lites I recommend the XTR because a friend of mine has had to replace his regular mud lites several times (weak side walls). I wanted to go with a bigger tire but the dealer talked me out of it.

Talking I got tires!

Well I was going to get 28" tires for a 700 Grizzly my wife changed my mind. She opted for me to get 25x11.50x9 inch tires eight of them. She bought me a 2007 Argo Avenger EFI so who was I to argue with her, she said I could get the grizzly later this summer if I wanted. I also punched the side wall on one tire in 2 hours and ended up buying a new one already. Thanks for your input I will be getting the Grizzly in August so I will set it up then with 28" tires and a clutch kit.
    Last edited by fishingis4play; 05-07-2007 at 21:40. Reason: forgot word