Thread: Ranger cabs and heat?

Default Ranger cabs and heat?

Wife and I are discussing unloading a bunch of our toys and converting to a Ranger 6x6. Part of the consideration would be some sort of cab system and with that thought I am curious about heaters. Is the engine heat enough to naturally heat the cab or is it better to install some sort of ducted heater? I have seen several heater kits but none seem to spell out how they work. I assume that they plumb in and use the engine coolant so I am curious how hard they are to put in.

Only downfall of the 6x6 seems to be the price, it looks pretty easy to run up towards 20k if you deck it out with a cab/winch/plow/tires!

Mine is plumber in with a heater core and two speed fan.....hot? Yes. Too much at times even with the wastegate valve to shut off flow through the core but nice when you really need it. Yes very easy to throw money at it and reach the numbers your talking about.

Default Ranger cabs and heat?

I have a few friends who run Curtis cabs with heaters. They bomb around in tshirts. Worthy investment if warm and dry is what you seek. Again, not cheap. Expect to drop $3k on most cabs.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I have a canvas full cab on my 2010 Ranger XP800 and no heater. In the winter I stay comfortable with just the engine heat coming up into the cab. I would like to have the defroster though because at times I get fogged up on the windshield. In the summer time, engine heat becomes a problem in any cab and you need to be able to open the side windows to control temps.

x2 on the canvas cab and no heater. the only time I feel the need to wish for a heater is on shorter rides when the engine doesn't produce quite enough heat yet to totally warm up the seat. I know some guys have complained about the seat being too hot, I actually love it. it's like having a heated seat. that being said I don't ride a whole lot during the "hot" summer months, working too much. but during the cooler time of year I get enough heat off the seat to keep me warm. I don't ride during the winter, so couldn't add any "cents" on needing a heater that time of year. if I was riding lots during the winter I would probably look at a heater. although I'm pretty much dressed to get outside for the weather and a heater would make it way too warm inside. I don't think the canvas cab was $3K and it has held up well for me the last two years.
    really it's all about comfort and budget level. my budget was the canvas cab and I'm pleased with the comfort level it offers without a heater.

For you guys with the canvas cabs...what kind do you have and how do you like them? It appears that this type of cab is made both with a steel frame covered in canvas or in a zip-up style door, if I am comprehending what I am reading right. According to Marita, they don't offer 6x6's with canvas cabs anymore...so we are going with Poly, but the problem with the poly cab is the windows don't open.

LuJon, what type of heater/defroster are you going with? MotoAliance (maker of Viper winches) builds one for about $400...not bad. My wife and I are in the same boat as you -- a couple of small kids and my wife are all much happier if they are warm and dry! (OK, me too.) The heater looks easy enough to install; it's just like a car heater...small heater core with a fan, plumbed into the cooling lines.

I have the Polaris canvas cab made for the Ranger. It has hinged opening doors with a magnetic catch that works great. It has full zippered windows that can give you any amount of cooling air you need on a hot summer day. And believe me it gets HOT in a Ranger cab on a nice summer day in Alaska ! Do not get a cab without opening windows unless you plan to take the doors off in the summer time.

Riding is an outdoor activity for me. I don't want to be encased in a coccoon that isolates me from being in the elements. If I wanted to be indoors, I'd stay home or in the truck.

I had a great RZR ride yesterday. Snow, ice, brisk temps. Dress for it and enjoy it. The current trail conditions are perfect for riding and the RZR is so much fun it should be illegal. No cab for me.

One more thing. We had three RZRs out yesterday. One had partial doors. The others used the stock side nets. It was apparent early on that I was staying dry and the other guys were getting wet from the snow blowing on them. My RZR came with the doors. I never gave them any thought but I like dry better than wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Riding is an outdoor activity for me. I don't want to be encased in a coccoon that isolates me from being in the elements. If I wanted to be indoors, I'd stay home or in the truck.
    Exact reason I bought a Grizzly and left the Ranger home this season. Even with the crappy weather it was a better experience.

I could see the ranger with a heated cab being sweet for winter bunny hunting and some other specific activities. I suspect that much, if not most of the time I would have it configured with doors off.

well did you pick up a new ranger yet.. I am a bit jealous of the 6x.... I bought a 4 wheel ranger as it was mostly a family rig and my wife prefered it over the 6x so had to keep her happy(it does as I put on 10 miles to her 300)

you going to go with a hard cab or canvas.. I think budget wise I will be trying out canvas..

I am working over seas and will be for a good while. I will hopefully get the boat sold and pick one up in the spring

I really hate when work get in the way of playin

In my opinion the 6x6 is an awesome hunting machine, it's not worth a crap otherwise, ie.. not fun to drive around in, also it sucks the fuel and constantly needs repair. I have a 2011, and yes the passenger side and middle stay plenty warm... for what it is, (my primary hunting tool) it does awesome. I have a canvas roof and back panel, 1/2 windshield, does great. one thing I can attest to is that if you go in moving water and it gets deep having doors could literally kill you. without doors you can abandon ship and swim to shore. just something to think about.

This is an interesting topic. I have a heater in my RZR. Half doors, half windshield, rear canvas, and a hard top. I bought it this way. I don't know the heater is there whether it's on or not. I guess my wife would like the heat source for warming hands and such but she has no interest in cold weather 4-wheeling. I dress for the outside temps and driving makes me generate heat so getting cold in that machine is not a threat as long as I'm moving and a heater isn't much good when I'm sitting still. I admit some of those cabs look pretty slick. I just don't have a need.