Thread: fly fishing around fairbanks

Default fly fishing around fairbanks

ok so I'm a student at UAF and its spring I want to get some fly fishing in before we head home (may 13) and was wondering where can I fly fish right now???

The chena river has greyling but last I checked you cant keep any. There are white fish and greyling in the chateneka. I am told the white fish winter out there and return to the bigger rivers some time in spring not sure when. There is also a stocked lake near campus but I cant remember the name. bunco or byers some thing lik that it seems

i'm no expert on fairbanks, but i would imagine things are still breaking up in mid may there... am i wrong?
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

You should probably leave earlier and stalk the great peterson creek steelhead with me and take me and my buddy king trolling!

I'd look at the chena theres some nice grayling in it. Heck I've seen some nice ones rise downtown. You could look around for pike too.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Cool Hit the Chena River

Your best bet for Grayling would be the Chena at places that are broke up. The further you go towards Chena Hot Springs the easier to locate fish. I do not know how far up the river is broke up, but in town the river is almost completely broke up. I recommend using an elk hair caddis fly. The Grayling can not resist them. If you are going with a buddy have him use a different bait and you can catch the pickiest fish. The mesquito dry fly works well also. Good luck.

Default Yep Yep

I'll make this KISS. Go to Badger / Chena Slough! Fish white small bead head woolly Bugger. The Grayling will be entering pre-spawn and can be caught however the White Bead Head Woolly Bugger will be your best bet. If you do not have any check with the Alaska Fly Shop Howie will set you up.

Grayling head up the side slough directly after break-up the Main Chena does hold fish however they will not start there final migration up Chena Hot Springs for a while.

Badger Gas Station for those who like crowds is a great place to start. No deep secret.

You will find fishing prior to leaving! If you hit Nordale you might find fish however be careful what side of the road your fishing one of the house owners there is a real &^% if you know what I mean. Thinks the high water mark is his to.

Any Who Tight Lines.

Richard Mousseau
    www.bluemooserafting.com

hey thanks I know where badger station is (fished there in the fall) I will probally get out sunday and fish there.

sorry pat finals end the 13th and its going to take us a little bit of time to get back (88 F-150s don't drive to fast)

well I'll see you in whitehorse!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.