Thread: fish cracker baits

Default fish cracker baits

Found these while looking around.
    http://www.fishcrackerbaits.com/products.html

I can't imagine using a 37.00 bait!!! Anyone ever tried one?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Default Re: fish cracker baits

I honestly think they are a gimmick.
    The guy who makes them got mad at me when I looked at them and told him so at last years sportsmans show.
    I make my own jigs. I would put my stuff against the butt cracker anyday.
    Seriously I believe they catch more fishermen than anything.
    Sure they probably catch fish.
    Probably no better than a
    $10 jig.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Went out with Crazy Ray's we used them no luck,But he said they were hot during the summer
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

$37 for a jig!?!?!? LOL! If you'd like I'd be happy to post pictures of the lings/yelloweye/halibut I caught this last summer (including 3 fish that were ADF&G Trophy Fish Certificate worthy) using a $5.00 jig head and "wishbone" grub from Boneyard. If the guy that makes them wants to send me a few to try out so I can pit them against my usual Boneyard jigs in one of my many "scientific" tests I'd be more than happy to give him my opinion on them when I'm done. If they're as good as he seems to indicate they are I'd be happy to switch, but I'd have to have a little more positive feedback on them then 3 "testimonials" on his website. I'm not saying they won't catch fish, but it sure wouldn't be worth it to me to purchase them unless they totally outfish a regular jig I can buy 7 of for the same price. Where I typically fish I consider a day that I only lose 1 or 2 jigs to rocky structure to be a good day. I'd be scared to death to allow clients to fish them knowing I might lose $74 to $111 dollars worth of jigs in a day of fishing.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    $37 for a jig!?!?!? LOL! If you'd like I'd be happy to post pictures of the lings/yelloweye/halibut I caught this last summer (including 3 fish that were ADF&G Trophy Fish Certificate worthy) using a $5.00 jig head and "wishbone" grub from Boneyard. If the guy that makes them wants to send me a few to try out so I can pit them against my usual Boneyard jigs in one of my many "scientific" tests I'd be more than happy to give him my opinion on them when I'm done. If they're as good as he seems to indicate they are I'd be happy to switch, but I'd have to have a little more positive feedback on them then 3 "testimonials" on his website. I'm not saying they won't catch fish, but it sure wouldn't be worth it to me to purchase them unless they totally outfish a regular jig I can buy 7 of for the same price. Where I typically fish I consider a day that I only lose 1 or 2 jigs to rocky structure to be a good day. I'd be scared to death to allow clients to fish them knowing I might lose $74 to $111 dollars worth of jigs in a day of fishing.
    I suggest that you contact as he is local and offer your unbiased opinion and see if he takes you up on it!!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I was looking at some pretty nice looking powder coated kodiak jigs at B&J's the other day for 23$ a piece......the way we loose jigs I just won't swing for that. 12$ is about as much as I can spend - and some are near that even if I make my own rigs.....

That is a heck of an idea though. Now all of his fishing trips are tax deductible - R&D baby R&D!

Ya, I usually loose 5-10 lead heads a day drifting rockpiles for Lings. Now if it were a Blue Water bait for big marlin, that would be on the cheapside. But I don't mind loosing a $50 lure to watch a 700lb fish clear the water, but loosing one to a rock, well, ya, different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Ya, I usually loose 5-10 lead heads a day drifting rockpiles for Lings. Now if it were a Blue Water bait for big marlin, that would be on the cheapside. But I don't mind loosing a $50 lure to watch a 700lb fish clear the water, but loosing one to a rock, well, ya, different story.
    Yeah, I was being VERY optimistic saying a loss of 1 or 2 jigs being a "good" day. I usually assume I'll lose 4 or 5 and chalk it up to the "price of admission", so losing 5 jigs in a day of fishing at a cost of $37 each would be ridiculous.

I guess the big question I'd have to ask is why do they cost so much? If they had some "magical" patented "thing-a-ma-jig" that is proven to catch more fish than the usual methods (something like the Pro-Troll "echip") then it might be worth it, but from a cursory glance I don't see anything to them that a person couldn't just reproduce if they have any mechanical knowledge and tools. I could be wrong, but it looks to me as though they're just two pieces of stainless steel that "crack" together to make some noise. But there are certainly ways to do that other than paying someone an exorbitant amount of money for something that could easily be reproduced. And that's only if they do indeed produce better than a regular ol' Boneyard jig at $5 a shot. I'd have to see a lot more than 3 or 4 "testimonials" on his website to convince me of their worth.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Certainly there is no doubt these lures will catch fish.
    What we have to question is whether or not they catch more/bigger fish than traditional jigs.
    A coworker and friend of mine was telling me how he once dropped a wrench tied to his line with a hook underneath and caught a halibut just to prove a point to somebody. In the right spot at the right time anything will catch halibut.
    What I would like to see on video is a day where nothing seems to work in a spot and then a Butt Cracker is dropped and fish start to bite.
    Another scenario is dropping a traditional jig and a Butt Cracker side by side and seing which one catches more and bigger fish.
    I feel the same about these jigs as I do the Glow Crazy jigs. When they first came out they were trying to get me to buy some at the Anchorage sportsmans show. I asked the guy why I should buy his jigs when I had not failed to limit out on Halibut the previous year from my boat fishing out of Homer.
    He basically said that if I was consistently catching fish I suppose his lure wouldn't help me much.
    What I did not care for with the Glow Crazy concept is the $2 refill you have to buy to take full advantage of the Glow Crazy concept.
    They made the glow stick hole on the jig large enough that a standard glow stick would be too small to fit the lure or be way to big. So you either had to mess around modifying a cheaper smaller glowstick or buy their expensive refills.
    I did buy some small glow sticks to try and make some of my own version of these. I got mine for way cheaper than what you would pay for a Glow Crazy refill though they aren't quite as bright. I haven't had time to make any yet but I just might this winter.
    I do like to use glow in the dark paints on my jigs.
    I do make some different sized and shaped jigs than the just the traditional leadhead. But they certainly aren't $37 dollar jigs And I am not trying to sell them to anybody especially not for an outrageous price.
    Maybe some of these fancy expensive jigs work better in areas such as out of Whittier where the Halibut fishing is not as consistent?
    Areas where even a small advantage can help they MIGHT be worth it. Who knows?
    I am noy going to buy them though. Not until I am convinced they outfish what I use now and not until I have trouble catching Halibut and filling my freezer.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Ya, I had enough on my Mack's reward card from jigs alone this summer to cover the tent I jsut got. If I'da paid 37 a piece, I coulda bought a new boat with those points. I'll stick with my good ole' twister tail.

IIRC they are made from stainless steel....that would be a solid reason for the high price. I`m sure you can get just as many fish as any other similar size/shape jig but at a much higher price.

Personally, when fishing rock piles I use verticle jigs and rarely loose hardware anymore. Even novice fisher peoples do alot better with verticle jigs over the leadheads on rocky slopes/bottom. The leadheads just dig in and won`t let go. While they do work I consider the leadheads as third-string now especially if I have someone new to bottom fishing along.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I went to big live herring, too big for the bass to get hold of and run them on 30lb mono with a 6oz banana sinker. No more lost jigs for newbies, and Lings love em and only think I really loose is a hook.

We put a buttcracker into action on Sunday south of Elrington. Caught some decent rockfish and a keeper ling cod. It worked just fine though I WAS worried when it hung up on the bottom for a couple of minutes...

So a couple of years back we headed out for bing ling trip. Somone thought it would be fun to bring along one of these wonderful loud butt clacking jigs. Now let me tell you we came back with our limit of fish, less a full limit of halibut due to not needing to keep that many. But this wonderfully expensive jig caught nothing. Not even a chicken but, a ling, or yelloweye.

We thought this was weird and that it couldn't be the jig, had to be something else. So we dropped this down a well known halibut chicken hole, yeah that didn't even help. Pulled it up, dropped down a vertical bar jig, a regular cod jig, and a big ol' lead head w gub, and what do you know they all caught fish.

Fast forward 2 years later, and the jig still lives on the boat, slightly rusty, but still alive... no one had ever bothered to use it again. Good thing I didn't have to pay for this experiement. Now don't get me wrong here, mabye it's just me, or my friends, or anyone else that has tried the jig. But for that kind of money, you might as well just go to Safeway and buy the fish.