Thread: Winchester M70 Coyote Outback 300WSM

Default Winchester M70 Coyote Outback 300WSM

Hello,
    I have a friend that have this gun and I love it. His is in 22-250 for varmint hunting. I want one in 300WSM.
    My question is, will this laminated stock be OK to withstand pouring rain/snow all day or should I just get a synthetic stock. I really want this gun, but I want it to be practical as well.
    I have read that even though it is laminated, it is wood and it will swell.
    It is also considered a lightweight model so it will have more felt recoil.
    What do you guys think?

I think they are a great gun. I also have a buddy who has one in 22-250. He's pretty hard on coyotes with it too.

I think I would go synthetic if hunting in an all day rain type scenerio. Even laminated wood soaks up water when it gets wet and stays wet. I don't know of a bullet proof sealer to put on any wood in that kind of weather. Marine varnish would probably help but you would have to seal every nook and cranny in the stock.

my "understanding" of laminated stocks is that they are done under pressure with epoxy resins and impregnated to such a point as to be pretty much nonpermiable to moisture - laminated stocks have been used for a long while by benchrest shooters due to the stability of the "wood" - be advised that they are heavier - Boyd's stock co. would be a good one to ask for definitive information I would think - the synthetic stock by Bell & Carlson feels better to me ......

This is from the Winchester website: There’s never been a rifle that looks and performs like a Coyote Outback Stainless. The satin-finished gray laminated stock with extra bipod stud has been extensively lightened with flow-through cutaways in both the buttstock and fore-end areas, saving more than a pound of weight. A bedded matte-finished stainless receiver and medium-heavy, free floating fluted stainless barrel save even more weight, making the Outback easy to carry all day long across the roughest terrain found in your own favorite “outback.” It’s available in a full line of popular calibers, including WSM chamberings.

They have it listed at 7lbs. 12oz. without optics. I thought that was pretty good.

Agoyne,

The Model 70 Extreme Weather version is advertised at 7lbs in 300wsm and has a stainless reciever. The laminated stock looks pretty nice but I would bet it is heavier than the synthetic stock. For constant exposure to the elements the Extreme Weather version would be my choice.

Good Luck!
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by agoyne View Post
    They have it listed at 7lbs. 12oz. without optics. I thought that was pretty good.
    Once you include scope, rings, sling and ammo, you'll be more at 9lbs. all up, so recoil shouldn't be an issue. Is that rifle from the New Haven plant or is that one of the new Model 70s assembled by FN? I don't see it listed on the Winchester website.

Here is a simliar one but with a B&C stock, which is a little lighter than the laminate:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...01C&mid=535115

But I honestly wouldn't worry about the laminate stock at all. There is lots of Ruger all-weather rifles that get used in the woods up here that wear the brown laminate stocks.

Its my understanding that it has not been on the Winchester website since 2006.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...01C&mid=535986

Yeah, that's a rifle that was made in the New Haven plant, a classic model. I think that model was only available for a year before they shut their doors. Not sure if you are familiar with gunbroker or not, but there is a few on there listed at the moment for sale. A nice rifle for sure, sort of looks like a extreme weather model with that fluted barrel.

Yeah I've ordered several guns from gunbroker. I'd really like a 325WSM but I can't find one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by agoyne View Post
    Yeah I've ordered several guns from gunbroker. I'd really like a 325WSM but I can't find one of those.
    This member has one for sale and I can say he is a stand up guy and I would buy from him.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...eather-325-WSM

I have the same rifle and have killed about everything walking in Alaska with it.

I would be careful about buying a Winchester that came out of the New Haven plant before it was shut down. However, since Winchester was bought out and under new management their rifles are awesome. I own 2 of the new Model 70s one in 270wsm for my wife and my 325WSM. Both come in at about 8lbs ready to hunt. Both have proved to be sub MOA out of the box, fluted barrel, composite stock, adjustable trigger. That is a lot of gun for the money.

I'm a gun nut and have owned several new rifle in the last few years and IMHO the Extreme Weathers are one of the best deals for the money in factory rifles on the market today.

With all that said,, if you do not reload I would just buy the same Extreme Weather in 30-06. I have a safe full and the last couple years I just take my Model 70 Stainless Steel Featherweight. Endless ammo choices available anywhere in the state and will kill anything you point it at. Plus ammo is a fraction of the cost.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I don't have the time or patience to reload. The .325 factory ammo is so bad that I need to buy a 30.06?

Default Winchester M70 Coyote Outback 300WSM

No there is some great factory ammo. It is just about twice the cost of 30-06 ammo. I love my 325wsm and use it a lot. Just like carrying that 7lb 06 better when I have a long backpack trip.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

FYI, my son just yesterday decided to let his Kimber Montana 325 WSM go - I built a load with 220 Sierra Gamekings and it shoots quite a bit better than the one I had (and just sold) He'd most likely ask $925 with DNZ mounts on it and if the right offer was made the VX3 3.5 x 10 x 40mm would probably still be mounted and sighted in and a bunch of good handloads as well

Going out on a limb here, did you by chance sell that gun in AK?

No Clint, that was mine - I, my son and a buddy of his who hunts with us a bit bought all three Montanas at Sportsman's Warehouse in Portland when that Canadian outfit bought some of those stores - He found out I had sold mine and now thinks it a good idea for him to as well (I'm still rubbing my pocket from that UPS bill, BTW) both his and mine (yours) shoot the same 220 SBT load sub MOA at 2800 fps

Lol, I'm looking forward to finding new recipes for her! Bound and determined to shoot those 200gr Noslers. If you could, can you send me your data?

(Purely by chance I saw your latest posting selling a gun)

Edit:

I have zero problem using the Seirra, it has been my go to bullet for decades.

I have the M 70 Coyote with laminated stock in 22-250 and it's a .5 MOA tack driver to 200 yds plus. That said, I've never had it out in the weather. A laminated stock is definitely more weather resistant than a solid piece wood stock, but wood is wood. No getting around that. Wood is like a moisture sponge, it will take it in and move it out and when it does... well you get it. Depending on what kind of shooting you're doing, it may not make a difference. Oh yeah, it's not a real light weight gun, but not real heavy either.