Thread: Tips for flying W/ ski's

Default Tips for flying W/ ski's

Hi Guy's , I'm looking for some tips for flying a C-185 on ski's. I've never flown ski's before and a pair of Fluidyne 4000's came with my 185, Also a tail ski. I'm looking forward to doing lots for ice fishing. Thanks in advance Tom

Don't get stuck! Lol Seriously... Not a 185 but here's some general advice..... Overflow and "Flat light" will ruin your day. You will have No brakes, always park in your own tracks when in deep snow, and don't be scared to "firewall it" to turn around while lifting the tail and using full rudder. Ski flying is a blast! Have fun!

Fluidyne 4000s? FliLites maybe?

In soft snow you'll need lots of power to taxi. On hard snow and ice you need lots of room to stop. Most days it'll be something in between. Being able to judge the conditions and you and your plane's capabilities will take time and experience. That means you'll have some good days and some bad. Limit the bad ones. A 185 is not fun when you're stuck and alone.

Advice items...
    Revise your winter gear to include snowshoes, a shovel, and ice screws.
    Give yourself lots of space for landings, takeoffs, and for turning around. And for taxiing around other planes.
    Learn to identify overflow potential. Then avoid overflow. Stuck in overflow is the worst kind of stuck.
    Watch for drifts and snowgo tracks. They'll torture your airplane.
    Preflight your ski rigging carefully.
    On hard snow pump wheels down for parking. It'll keep your skis from freezing down.

Checkout this website for some good tips especially relating to overflow: http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...ng-tips-needed

I have carried 8 feet of one inch thick rope in the past. It can come in handy if you find yourself in a position too tight to turn around. Throw a couple of wraps around the ski that you want to pivot around, power the plane into the desired position, remove the rope and go.

Dont forget a pair of skis or snowshoes, and a shovel. If the snow is powdery make sure to drag it a few time, and treat flat light like a glassy water landing. Like new adventures in any off airport, start conservatively. Also normal survival stuff like sleeping bag, fire starter, water, etc.
    -Out-of-State for school, remembering why I love Alaska so much

Quote Originally Posted by Monguse View Post
    Checkout this website for some good tips especially relating to overflow: http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...ng-tips-needed

I have carried 8 feet of one inch thick rope in the past. It can come in handy if you find yourself in a position too tight to turn around. Throw a couple of wraps around the ski that you want to pivot around, power the plane into the desired position, remove the rope and go.
    Great reminder - - - and it works !