Thread: Would like to go off grid in Alaska

Default Would like to go off grid in Alaska

My fiancee and I have been planning to go off the grid for a year now. After researching many lower 48 states I have decided that Alaska would be perfect for us. Can someone lead me in the right direction on a good spot for the beginning Alaskan?

I found this site that offers cheap land. http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/otc/ But I need help finding something that I might be able to live through.

Would like a pre-built cabin or hire locals to help build.

I would like to have a garden in the summer months,canning - fishing - hunting would be primary source of food, I don't mind the cold but might need a milder cold, would like to use solar, wind and hydro power, I like my space but would like to have neighbors within a mile of me, seasonal road to the property...ect.

I know this move will not be easy to start...going into this with my eyes wide open.

Any help would be appreciated.

I would recommend moving up here and living "on the grid" for a year or so. If you head up towards Fairbanks you can find lots of dry cabins (no running water) that will give you a taste of roughing it.

If you want someplace a little warmer (for Alaska lol) Look around Trapper Creek or Talkeetna.

I do not recommend trying to live off the land for your first couple years, Alaska kills plenty of people that have lived here their entire lives every year.

I don't know how wealthy you are. Many people think it is cheap to live in rural Alaska (On or Off Grid). Alaska is very expensive.

Default Start Reading A LOT

If you plan to go North, do a lot of reading, it might change your mind, it is not easy to do unless you have a lot of money to get started. If you have to fly in and out, it could cost up to $2,000.00 per round trip, South East Alaska is warmer, but it rains all the time and it is hard to grow much for vegies. There are seasons and limits for most of the wildlife and fishing, It takes a lot of time to gather enough food to live for just a while, A boat is almost a must have, Just to keep warm in the winter takes a lot of time to get firewood. Chainsaws run on fuel and hauling wood is not cheep. There is a lot of information here on this forum and other sites, Get to reading.

All you need to live that lifestyle is $50K a year income, 2 snowmachines, 2 cargo sleds, 1 ATV, meat wagon, dipnet poles, fishing poles, tackle, A reliable vehicle or 2 (depending on employment), greenhouse, rototiller, water pump or well, $20K Solar/Wind Battery setup, 2 generators, 500 gallon fuel tank, an awesome set of tools, chainsaw, weed burner, guns, meat processing equipment, smoker and enough startup money.... say.... $100K for land and cabin. You can furnish it off craigslist and VIA the Salvation Army stores. You can gather several food items like berries, dipnet salmon, subsistence fish for whitefish hunt bou, moose, bear, birds, small game.... but you have to be a resident first for some of these and that means your first year will be expensive for licensing IF available where you have transportation to get to the resource. Hay can be very expensive, so you might have to buy milk and cheese. Chickens may be a possibility.

If you dislike winter, remember Cold Gets Old..... How do you deal with 4 hours of sunlight?

There are two cabins for sale on Tom Place here in Wrangell.One is $39,000 and one $59,000.Best to have a 18' boat and 50hp for getting to town but its no real problem.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

You really need to come up and live here before moving into the bush.

I can't say this strongly enough.. DON'T BUY ANY LAND WITHOUT WALKING IT DOWN FIRST! I know of two outfitsí offering land for sale, one in Valdez and one in Prince William Sound. In both cases the pictures looked great, but the land is d*mn near vertical, (mountain sides). Both these outfits preyed on people out of state.

When we lived in Delta Junction we were acquaintances of a couple who bought cheap OTC land from the state then moved up. What they got was cheap land, mosquito infested tundra. They did their best to make a go of it, but they sure had it rough.

This is my favorite site for remote property http://remoteproperties.com/

BTW Ė If you want to live off the grid, you donít have to move into the bush. There are a lot of places on the road system that donít have power.

Now with all that said my family and I live 15 miles from the nearest road and love it.

Good luck with what ever you decided.

dirtofak's requirements could be trimmed down some (not much) but it is an accurate statement for being comfortable, especially when you haven't made the transition from civilization to the off-grid location. Best advise, live on the grid in or near Fairbanks and after a few years, go for it. You will have met enough people to either help you or talk you out of it.

I don't think there is one reply on here that couldn't be found in another fairly recent thread. These "I'm coming to live off the land in Alaska, but haven't been there yet" are ridiculious.
    My advice--Get and/or keep a job.

As you can see no reply to any suggestion from Herbalgirl again how many times do we here this "I want to live off the grid".

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

No offense to the op, but if you need someone to build a cabin for you, you have absolutely no business living off the grid in Alaska.

There are a whole host of skills you'll need that you simply can't learn by reading about them. Coming up to Alaska and renting a place on the road system for a couple of years before heading off the road system is highly recomended. You'll be able to find out whether or not Alaska is for you without getting yourself too over your head.

It is extremely rare for an Alaskan to live a self sufficient lifestyle, most of those off the grid started with a significant sum of money, and have some sort of income or pension fund to assist with expenses. Living in Alaska is expensive, living off the grid is more expensive.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

It is extremely rare for an Alaskan to live a self sufficient lifestyle, most of those off the grid started with a significant sum of money,....
    and have ended up with a not so significant pile of lint