Thread: Agressive Bear in Trapper Creek/Oil Well Rd area-cabin broke into

Default Agressive Bear in Trapper Creek/Oil Well Rd area-cabin broke into

Just thought I would put this out there as a kind of public notice. There is an unusually aggressive bear roaming the area of GMU16A in the vicinity of Oil Well Rd, Cottonwood Creek, etc.

A bear ripped a sheet of T-11 Siding off our cabin in Trapper Creek, broke into the cabin, ate all of the sugary foods in the pantry, and ripped open everything else and spread it around. Part of the destruction included ripping out two studs from the wall, and destroying a home made (mostly 2x4's) bunk bed and pulling it out, through the whole in the wall, one piece at a time. (The bunk bed was blocking his entry.) Other damage included pushing the cast iron barrel stove around. While the mess was a lot to clean up, we count ourselves fortunate that there was no bear scat in the cabin.

My father-in-law is of the opinion that this was a brown bear because the whole in the wall is from 5-10 ft above ground level, indicting a rather tall bear. Claw marks in some of the debris indicate that individual claws were about 2" apart. However, we found no scat and no hair, so there is no way to know for sure.

The area has long had an over population of black bears, and it is not uncommon for them to raid burn barrels, bbq grills, and improperly stored garbage. This past summer, we have found black bear scat very near the cabin (within 100 yards), and have found tipped over grills, but this is the first such incident for us or anyone we know in the area. We've never known bears to come this close to the building, so this is a rare bear.

Just thought I would put this out there for others living in the area or owning recreational cabins up there.

Don't tell fish and wildlife about it, they might shut down the whole GMU!

Its good to know about this problem bear, it sound very dangerous and we should make the entire area off limits so that the bear is not habituated and nobody is harmed.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

open season..just get hunting party to walk around after eating a good bacon breakfast.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Better hope someone tags that dude or dudete. my experience is once a cabin trashing bear, always one. And they train the little ones up good if it's a sow.

You're not the only one. I've sold two doors in the last month to replace ones knocked in by a bear in the same general area. It's a fairly common occurance around here and the only way to end it is to shoot the bear. A few years ago one tore up over a dozen places on Bunco and Home lakes.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    You're not the only one. I've sold two doors in the last month to replace ones knocked in by a bear in the same general area. It's a fairly common occurance around here and the only way to end it is to shoot the bear. A few years ago one tore up over a dozen places on Bunco and Home lakes.
    A couple years ago there were a bunch of black bears breaking into cabins around our place which is roughly in between Bunco and the OP's cabin. Everyone within 2 miles of our cabin got busted into (we have an electric fence and were left alone). 7 dead black bears later and the break ins stopped. No problems last year or (so far) this year.

Sounds like a typical bear to me, nothing unusual or aggressive.

We have had our cabin broke into 3 times in the last month. The first time there was some food in there and after that we cleaned out the cabin and left nothing for him to get into. Also it got into 2 other cabins in the same area that we are in. It ripped out a window and made new door the first time and the other times it broke out 2 other windows to get in. The tracks and prints we found looks like it is a big brown bear doing it.

I was wondering when was the last time you were at the cabin? Just trying to find out if it is the same bear we a dealing with? We are off of shulin lake trail.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter300saum View Post
    I was wondering when was the last time you were at the cabin? Just trying to find out if it is the same bear we a dealing with? We are off of shulin lake trail.
    Sept. 7 and 8 was the last time we were up there. We closed everything up. Pulled out all of the water, canned goods, anything that could freeze, etc. I think a friend of the family used it during all of that heavy rain to dry out from their hunting trip. A friend of my gf's brother, who lives in Pertersville or something, went by there last Friday, to check on the cabin for water damage, and found the hole. So..it happened sometime between mid September and now.

Thanks for the info on your experiences. We can't conclusively say "brown bear" but, based on your statements, it's quite probable that we're dealing with the same bear.

Post Script: After discussing this with a coworker who bear baits in the Spring, I've realized my mistake. We left a half full 5 gal bucket of Blue Buffalo dog food in the cabin. I think that was the trigger. My coworker says nothing works better than dog food for bringing in bears. (ALTHOUGH...others have left smaller amounts of dog food there in years past with no issues.)