Thread: 348 Win. and a Moose

Default 348 Win. and a Moose

Recently acquired 1936 Winchester Mod. 71 with bolt peep sight and a nice bull (52inches).
    Using 250gr Woodleigh and 48gr H4895 at 150 yds or so.
    Our 16 months old daughter decided to have a nap while we worked on the animal. She woke up 3 hours later, just in time to watch us bringing the last quarter into the boat.
    So now we're ready for winter.
    It's a relaxing feeling to know that you've got all you need for the next several months:
    Food,firewood...diapers?
    The boat is out and that marks the end of a busy season. Now we have to wait for freeze-up to travel anywhere; possibly the end of November/early December.
    Soon we'll loose direct sunlight in the cabin for 3 months.
    But we can go 6 miles up river at solstice to have a glimpse of sunrays for a few minutes, weather permitting.
    I can live with that!

A really great rifle, thoughh I had a .458 hole pulled through mine to make it a .450 Fuller.

Good hunt, too, and congratulations !!!

Golly gee Whiz, You mean that old gun can still kill a moose. Shouldn't you have one of the new high-tec magnums ? congrats.......
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Those are some great pics and congrats on the moose, looks like a good one. Thanks for sharing.

What a beautiful spot you live in. What's it called ? Great pictures and a beatiful daughter. Thanks for sharing. May the time go fast to solstice.

Good for you!! I completely understand that feeling of relief when the boat is pulled and the ice is running. I got serenaded by a small pack of wolves this morning while having coffee. Grabbed the rifle and camera but by the time I got the 1.5 miles upriver where they had been they had moved along. I hope you feel as lucky as I do to live this lifestyle. It takes a lot of work although many don't realize. Have a good freezeup and be careful traveling once that ice stops. Thanks for posting the pics. I really need to start doing that as I enjoy all the pics shared by others.

Very nice for sure, cool rifle, cool moose, cool pics! Kinda neet rack with good width and skinny palms!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Love the 71s. Great old rifles. Nice to see it come out of retirement and get to do a little work. Good bull, too. Congratulations.

Bout time to see some pictures of guys shooting moose with lever rifles. The pictures are few n far between. Nice rifle, and Nice moose! Did you recover the bullet? I too shot a moose with a Woodleigh, the 275 grain protected point (358 Win), and I never found either bullet. Really liking those woodleighs. Congrats on the winter meat!

Is that the Yukon River in the one of the pictures?

That is just wonderful! Great photographs too. I have a Win 95 in 405Win that I want to take out but I always chicken out and take the 358 Norma. I keep thinking I'll get a long shot but it never seems to happen. That Model 71 looks like it is very much at home. Congratulations, great to have your daughter along too I bet.

Are you one of those "Yukon Men"?
    Cool pics. Take care of that antique gun.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

That's really neat to see the "old iron" putting up the winter meat for you! Have a good winter and thanks for sharing.

Model 71 in 348 Winchester: The most righteous combination!! What an awesome rifle, thanks for the pictures and story.

However, it's an old cartridge and the bullets will bounce off of even fawn deer unless you're within, say, 7 yards. HA!!

Still anxiously waiting for more info on the performance of your handload. So far, this is the third bull moose I've read of on this forum that was taken with a .34-35 caliber woodleigh. Another forum member (I think his name is akheloce) took one last season with a 310 grain woodleigh roundnosed bullet from his whelen, I with a 358 winchester using the 275 grainers mentioned, and you, a 348 winchester with the 250 grainer. Did you find a bullet to weigh?

One bullet went right through and this
    one was lodged against the skin with a weight of 242gr.
    I didn't have time this fall to do a
    lot of shooting but I would like to experiment more with some loads
    next spring.
    I also have an extra barrel that I am
    considering to have it chamber for the 348 improved Ackley.
    To add 300 fps or so might be worth it.
    And there's the 375 Alaskan or the 450...
    The 180 gr is for my 270 Weatherby
    (65gr/H4831). Beautiful bullet and with that I got my moose a year
    ago. The retrieved bullet was stolen by a gray jay from my boat!
    Cheers,
    GB

no dice on the pictures. That Woodliegh still weighing 242 grains is impressive. You're lucky to find one in a moose, they seem to always exit! A few months ago, I had swaged down 286 grain round nose (.366"/9.3) to .358". You might consider doing this for your 348. The 348 has some serious powder capacity as is, I'd have no qualms swaging down 310 grain .358" woodleighs to .348", especially if you get that rifle "improved". Probably not needed, but it would be an interesting endeavor.

Those old's workhorses live forever and never let you down! I wish I could have gotten my hands on Roy's old Savage model 99 in 303 British. That was the most balanced rifle I ever held in my hand and he killed him a pile of critters with that gun out of our camp.

Certainly a fine looking Moose. The Win 71 is something else. The used ones cost a ton! You are really lucky to not only have come across one but bought it as well. If you re-load your ahead of the game cause ammo is like finding hens teeth. See it every now and again at Gun Shows and it is ....pricey. Hang onto that puppy.