Thread: Heading up.

Default Heading up.

Confirmed new employment earlier this week (in Anchorage). My wife and I are looking at houses in Eagle River, and I hope to be on the ground up there sometime mid May.

Very excited to get outdoors and soak up all the wildlife and scenery I can. Not sure if I'll be able to hunt in 2007 - Might wait until I can establish in-state residency. Even so will do a lot of fishing this summer.

If anyone is hunting this fall and needs a non-hunting partner to help setup camp / pack out game, etc - drop me a line. I'd like to start learning the area.

Great board, very informative. Thanks in advance for all the good info.

Nate

Thumbs up

And you can pack how much weight? How far? In what time frame?,,, Just jesting! However, some good people here- might- take you up...

Welcome to Eagle River. We have lived here for 20 years. Great schools and even greater views.
    My wife and I watch the dall sheep in back of our home almost every day. If you need anything drop me a note.
    Randy
    Tennessee

Default Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by nrc View Post
    Confirmed new employment earlier this week (in Anchorage). My wife and I are looking at houses in Eagle River, and I hope to be on the ground up there sometime mid May.

Very excited to get outdoors and soak up all the wildlife and scenery I can. Not sure if I'll be able to hunt in 2007 - Might wait until I can establish in-state residency. Even so will do a lot of fishing this summer.

If anyone is hunting this fall and needs a non-hunting partner to help setup camp / pack out game, etc - drop me a line. I'd like to start learning the area.

Great board, very informative. Thanks in advance for all the good info.

Nate
    Nate-

Welcome to Alaska! Drop me a line when you get settled and we'll go out for coffee. I'd be happy to share what I know and help you get started.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

[quote=nrc;95379]Confirmed new employment earlier this week (in Anchorage). My wife and I are looking at houses in Eagle River, and I hope to be on the ground up there sometime mid May.

Congrats!

Non resident hunting is very expensive. Let me know if ya want to do some fishing together

I have a hunting partner this year but if he's not able to go I'll let ya know, hows your back? Ever do much in the way of alpine hiking?

Rick P

Default Thanks

Dedwuf - I do better than some, not quite as good as others - hows that? Seriously tho', I understand it is quite a bit of work.

Randy and Mike - will drop you each a pm in about a month when we're on the ground. Appreciate the welcome.

Rick - My tentative plan for 2007 is to pony up the out of state bucks for Fishing, and maybe also small game hunting - I'd like to at least pick up a grouse or ptarmigan here or there. 2008 and beyond eventually I'd like to pursue Moose, Black Bear, and Caribou but we're taking things one season at a time. I've done a little above treeline hiking in the cascades down here in Oregon, but It wouldn't hurt for me to do some more conditioning.

Thanks again everyone -

I am always looking for someone to help split fuel costs for halibut fishing. I have the boat for it but with the price of fuel it always helps to add a friend or two!
    Tennessee

Nrc

Your welcome, lets get together when you get here and see where things go, kinda picky about hunting and fishing partners but it never hurts to add to the list of friends.

Default Good Choice

from the City Of Roses to the Great Land.

Congratulations

from an old Orygun native.

Congrats.

It's a good time to buying, the market has settled down a bit and homes aren't moving as fast as they used to.

Two things to consider in Eagle River, if you buy in the valley itself, the closer you are to the river, the longer your house is in the shade during the winter. We're near the walmart, and have about 2 months when the house sees no direct sunlight.

The other thing is, while there are great views from the houses high up on the North side of the valley, those steep roads can be trecherous when we get freeze/thaw and icing on the roads in the winter.

I used to do allot of business up that way and those roads are kinda scary at times, 0 visibility, snowing sideways, wind blowing the truck around you get the picture.

Rick - My tentative plan for 2007 is to pony up the out of state bucks for Fishing, and maybe also small game hunting - I'd like to at least pick up a grouse or ptarmigan here or there. 2008 and beyond eventually I'd like to pursue Moose, Black Bear, and Caribou but we're taking things one season at a time. I've done a little above treeline hiking in the cascades down here in Oregon, but It wouldn't hurt for me to do some more conditioning.

Thanks again everyone -
    You are taking the same route I've been planning. I'm going to concentrate on learning to fish trout and salmon and get a small game license the first year. I'm hoping through small game hunting and a lot of time at the range I can get my marksmanship back up to a respectable level. I'm also considering picking up one or more of the following: muzzlelodeing/fly fishing/reloading during the down times. I'll be interested to hear how your doing.

Default Good info

- Thanks again for the heads up on the shade, and the roads.

- MN Viking; I've been muzzleloading for awhile. I might be able to meet you at the range one day if you want to give the a try. I might even show you how much fun they are to clean

- Thanks again for the heads up on the shade, and the roads.

- MN Viking; I've been muzzleloading for awhile. I might be able to meet you at the range one day if you want to give the a try. I might even show you how much fun they are to clean
    I might take you up on that offer. My grandfather has been into it for years but I'm not sure he's up to making a trip up there to help me out.