Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Brown Bear hunt starts

Default Kenai Brown Bear hunt starts

Good news. This morning an announcement was made that the B.B. season in unit 7 and 15 will resume Thursday Oct. 15th. The season will remain open thru November for drawing and registration hunters. If 6 sows are killed the season will end.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Good news. This morning an announcement was made that the B.B. season in unit 7 and 15 will resume Thursday Oct. 15th. The season will remain open thru November for drawing and registration hunters. If 6 sows are killed the season will end.
    I think you mean Oct 25th...
    "Your papers are not in order"

Man, I sure wish I could pick up a permit in Anchorage. I need to figure out a way to get down to Soldotna before the weekend... With this clear weather, it might make for a nice excuse to take a long hike on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Man, I sure wish I could pick up a permit in Anchorage. I need to figure out a way to get down to Soldotna before the weekend... With this clear weather, it might make for a nice excuse to take a long hike on Saturday.
    YES, that pure bull'snot that you can get a license and PFD online Yet can't register for this hunt online, Someone needs their head removed from where the sun don't shine. I do apologize for being wishie'washy about my feeling on this subject.

Roland,......Thank for the heads'up.....I have no interest in driving to Slow'dotna for a permit. But strongly hope eight thousand bears get harvested.

Thanks for the catch "sigabrt " I did mean October 25th. I wonder if I had your hunting license number if they would allow me to get those like BRIAM or AGL a permit? I'll call and find out.

Well, I tried. I just called F&G and was told you have to pick it up in person and have the metal locking tag. sorry guys.

Well, I tried. I just called F&G and was told you have to pick it up in person and have the metal locking tag. sorry guys.
    I have ways of dealing with this.

Everyone want's something for nothing these days. Not sure why some think they're more special than others.

This isn't the only registration tag in the state that has to be picked up at a specific local. Some people have priorities, and make an effort. Others like to complain about it because it's too hard or too much of an inconvenience. Either you want to go hunting or you don't, itís really pretty simple.

I guarantee the ones that have complained the most about there being too many bears on the Kenai, are the same ones that likely didn't hunt. Here's your chance (er second chance) to make a difference, and practice what you preach. Too far of a drive to pick up a BROWN BEAR TAG? Wow..... there are people that would spend thousands of dollars at the chance, thatís too much of an inconvenience of a couple hours for some.

I don't get it...

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    Everyone want's something for nothing these days. Not sure why some think they're more special than others.

This isn't the only registration tag in the state that has to be picked up at a specific local. Some people have priorities, and make an effort. Others like to complain about it because it's too hard or too much of an inconvenience. Either you want to go hunting or you don't, itís really pretty simple.

I guarantee the ones that have complained the most about there being too many bears on the Kenai, are the same ones that likely didn't hunt. Here's your chance (er second chance) to make a difference, and practice what you preach. Too far of a drive to pick up a BROWN BEAR TAG? Wow..... there are people that would spend thousands of dollars at the chance, thatís too much of an inconvenience of a couple hours for some.

I don't get it...
    I, for one, am not complaining about the system. Yes, I wish I could get one near where I live, but I'm not asking for the system to be changed and I most certainly don't think I'm more special than others. That said, you're right - I do have priorities - my job and my kids, and getting down to Soldotna just hasn't worked in the past few weeks. I'm going to try to fly down after work on Friday, but I might not make it in time. It's not that it's too far of a drive, but some people simply can't do that during the week and F&G offices don't have weekend hours. I've always thought that F&G offices should be open Tuesday-Saturday (much like the DMV), but they've yet to call me to ask what I think.

Brian M and any others that want to fly into kenai on Friday (or any day ) I will gladly pick you up and take you to F&G before 5PM Call me at 262-7837

Brian M and any others that want to fly into kenai on Friday (or any day ) I will gladly pick you up and take you to F&G before 5PM Call me at 262-7837
    I might take you up on that, Roland. I get off work earlier than usual on Friday, so if the weather holds, I might make the trip.

I don't get it...
    Well SIR: I have harvested a few hundred Alaska bears, and I at age 66 would not drive from Hope, Alaska to Soldotna for a legal Brown Bear permit. I don't want or need to harvest any bears. However as I have lots of bear problems on my homestead, I would be willing harvest a local Brown Bear and give the hide to anyone who wanted it, but I would not drive to Soldotna. I have my own way of dealing with problem bears. I live on $551.00 a month income, l live a subsistence lifestyle, that does not include driving two hundred miles for a permit. I would much prefer that sports hunters harvest the bears, that said I have for 43 years dealt with bears in a way that does not require any paperwork.

What I fail to understand is how they say "PLEASE" ....."PLEASE" File for your PFD, vehicle tags, Hunt Drawings, PROFESSIONAL licenses online because it saves the state time and money. My truck gets 10.1 miles to the gallon so that is 20 gallons of diesel fuel @ $4.49 a gal. = about $90.00 to go get a tag that I don't need to just shoot and shut-up. Which works out well, as all the bears I shoot are not a matter of record which saves me and the state time and money.

I don't get it...
    so, why is it that the permits can not be available in anchorage? it would save people from burning gas just to drive down and do the same thing that could be done without all the driving.

i don't get it either.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Well SIR: I... just shoot and shut-up. Which works out well...
    Not everyone milks the system, nor can afford to break laws. Most of us are required toabide by the current hunting regulations and get a permit.

The state offers numerous registration permits with preference clearly given tothe residents of the nearest town/village(s), thus protecting the subsistence lifestyle of that area. You know those people who actually live off the land and aren't connected to it by a highway... or live in a tourist town within sight of Anchorage.

Should they do away with all those permit requirements too? Iím guessing youíd say no because it would hurt the ďsubsistenceĒ way of life. But since this permit is for bears, and you hate bears, then it should be open and easier to get. I don't care one way or the other. It's not hard to play by the rules.

Why they require it in person? Call and ask. I'm guessing if you could get them in town or over the internet, there would probably be 3000 issued and turn into a nightmare to keep track of. They limit the numbers of hunters by weeding out the ones that will make the time to go I guess?

What I find amusing about your posts, is how full of yourself you are. You chose to live the way you do, and no one really cares, no matter how much you want them to. I'll give it to you though, without a doubt you take the gold medal for biggest whiner, and you have stiff competition around here.

What I find amusing about your posts, is how full of yourself you are. You chose to live the way you do, and no one really cares, no matter how much you want them to. I'll give it to you though, without a doubt you take the gold medal for biggest whiner, and you have stiff competition around here.

Sir: I think you could enhance to quality of your Alaska Outdoor Forum "EXPERIENCE" by simply using the special feature that allows you to hide 100% of my posts.

BS, I think the biggest whiner hangs out at the salt water fishing sub forum. You must not frequent there, eh? Just saying'.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

For Brian M and any others interested in flying down to Kenai to pick up a registration Brown Bear permit. I offered to pick anyone up at the kenai airport and take them to F&G. This morning a thought occured to me. I called U-haul about renting their van. The cost is $19.95 aday plus $1.00 enviremental fee and .59 cents a mile.
    A couple guys could share the cost and just sleep in the van. If you think this might be of interest to you call me at 262-7837 and we'll get it done.
    To all the hunters, a safe and successful hunt. F&G closes at 5PM on Friday.

He's still out there guys...!!!........lol

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Man..that is a beast..nice looking brownie for sure. think i remember that pic from the springtime..along with some others.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast