Thread: Small Game help

Default Small Game help

I have recently been stationed on JBER and live in Eagle River. I am an avid hunter but like most people who start out here, I need a little guidance. I would like to start stocking my freezer for the winter. I would like to get in some small game or some fishing tips. I wouldnt even mind helping someone with their hunt if needed. (Always willing to lend a hand) I am looking for places to go and some tips other than what I have read on the DNR site. Local knowledge is best knowledge. Thank you in advance.

Smith, welcome to Alaska. I recently retired from the Army up here and would like to say welcome to Alaska. I recommend you sign up on the iSportsman web site which will give you a lot of area on base to hunt small game and do some fishing as well. There are a lot of rabbits from what I saw Saturday. You may need to hustle depending on how big your freezer is. Jim McCann who frequents here wrote a book entitled "Upland Hunting in Alaska". I got that a couple weeks ago and followed the descriptions for Grouse habitat and it was right on. I found birds with that info. Highly recommend the book and get a highlighter with it. I don't hunt hare but there are a lot of guys here who do, so I'll leave that alone except that I saw a lot of rabbits on base. I know that folks hunt for them on the Hay flats but I have never been there.

Fishing tips depend on where you are going and what you want to catch. There is a book called "Fly Fisher's Guide to Alaska that I used when I started up here several years ago. It is a good reference by road system and time of year for fishing freshwater.

Smithd,

I'll add my welcome to Alaska, and thank you for your service to our country. The US Army brought me to Alaska some 41 years ago and I stayed. Won't get out of here alive! Although big game rules in Alaska, I think you'll find the small game hunting quite good. Always be the student and learn as much as you can about your quarry and its habitat. Searching for places to hunt and fish is a big part of the adventure. Enjoy every minute of it.

Thanks Armymark for your kind words about my humble book.

Jim

Some of the best small game hunting near home is where you work. Get into the base wildlife office and start asking questions to get you set up for recreation hunting permits. I think their website is up now so that you can check in and out on line and find out what is closed each day.

The small game populations fluctuate a lot around here and some years there is nothing out there. Other times you are overwhelmed with the bounty.

Here is the link to iSportsman which is the new JBER webpage used to manage the recreation on post. You must first register which will get you a permit number and a PIN. Once you have the permit and PIN you go to the access link to see the maps and then the sign in/sign out link to getin there without stopping at the gate. Make sure you register your firearm at the visitor center the first time you take that specific firearm onto post. If an area is not open, you won't be able see a drop down to that area. It is pretty simple. Go out and drive it and you'll be in good terrain to start. Additionally, make sure to pull the regulations for post from the iSportsman site, there are some variations that go beyond the regular state regs, it's only a one pager.

http://www.jber.isportsman.net/home

Thank you all for the help. I will look into the books for sure. I am always willing to learn and pass on my knowledge to the next person. That is what keeps our hunting tradition alive. Im always willing to help. Again thank you all.