Thread: Two Clicks Left and Ready To Hunt

Default Two Clicks Left and Ready To Hunt

Nosler M48 TGR 7mm08 24" barrel, 140gr Sierra HPBT G/K 47.5grs W760, Fed 210 match primers, Rem brass, 2858fps average, 9 shot group, hunting load, ready for hunting season.

This load is for white tails, hogs, coyote.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Is the 140 HPBT a hunting bullet? I thought it was a match bullet, just wondering. If its a match bullet, I'd be concerned that it may blow up and fragment, especially on hogs and deer. Even if it did blow up, it would probably still kill a deer, but hogs are much tougher and if not placed just right, may not penitrate well. Big hogs can take a pretty hefty blow to take down. I'm just curious and wanting to get better educated on bullet performance. Please let us know how well the load performs on game.
    Last edited by OKElkHunter; 10-22-2012 at 12:02. Reason: clarification
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Quote Originally Posted by OKElkHunter View Post
    Is the 140 HPBT a hunting bullet? I thought it was a match bullet, just wondering. If its a match bullet, I'd be concerned that it may blow up and fragment, especially on hogs and deer. Even if it did blow up, it would probably still kill a deer, but hogs are much tougher and if not placed just right, may not penitrate well. Big hogs can take a pretty hefty blow to take down. I'm just curious and wanting to get better educated on bullet performance. Please let us know how well the load performs on game.
    It is a hunting bullet, used it many times and for many years in 7mm, 30 caliber rifles, it is one of their toughest bullets, harder core than match or other bullets they make and the jacket is double drawn. It will go right through and exit a deer or hog.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Actually the Sierra match bullets, such as the HPBT-MK (Match King) in various calibers and weights are a very tough bullet. Not likely to "blow up" but not likely to expand either. This is the reason Sierra does not recommend them for hunting. They are an open point bullet with a tough jacket crimped closed over the cavity. The HPBT Game King is an open point jacket over a hollow point core. They are designed to open (expand) and do perform with the best of the big game bullets. They are also extremely accurate. A very good mix when we hunt most of our big game species. I have never found these game kings lacking in any way on game animals.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

OK, Thanks for the update. I just got back into reloading after taking a long hiatas from it. I haven't done much with Sierra bullets because I shot a moose back in the early 90s with a 180gr GK from a 300 win mag. It made a nice entry wound, turend the heart & lungs into jello, left no exit wound and I never found the bullet. I assumed it decintegrated in the vitals and I have never used sierra bullets again. It did kill the moose though.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

If using the 7mm08 on large big game I perfer the Nosler 140gr Partition 140gr Accubond and the 140gr A-Frame (each depending on game to be taken), but since I am hunting deer, hogs and coyotes this year with no trip out west, I find the 140gr Seirra HPBT G/K more than enough.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Just curious, but how do the HPBT MK compare to the Berger. I've been shooting 140gr berger bullet out of my 7-08 it shoots really good plus it hammers critters; even the mighty wapiti.. The berger bullet has exited everything I have shot with it. Do you think the sierra will do the same ??

Quote Originally Posted by alaska2go View Post
    Just curious, but how do the HPBT MK compare to the Berger. I've been shooting 140gr berger bullet out of my 7-08 it shoots really good plus it hammers critters; even the mighty wapiti.. The berger bullet has exited everything I have shot with it. Do you think the sierra will do the same ??
    The Seirra HPBT G/K (not match king) has exited the last 20 deer and four hogs I have used the bullet on in my 7mm's and 30 caliber rifles. I have put it through a large black bear out of my 30-06 Ackley Imp Sako TRG custom and the shot was 90 yds and that bear leaped in the air and then hit the ground and never moved. I called Seirra and ask them at this piont about thier G/K HPBT and they said it will open up quick and have devastating terminal results and they are right from evidence in the field. So I took my 300Wby and loaded the 165gr HPBT and at 25 yards shot an 8" laminated beam and the enterance hole was a 30 caliber hole and the exit hole was the size of a quarter. I did it three times and it exited three times. So convinced it would penetrate enough I took that 300Wby Ruger #1 on and elk hunt and on a broad side shot 125yds that bullet exited that elk. Now this is some of my experience with the bullet. I also used it when culling deer, coyote and hogs for the state and it always only took one shot, and 38 deer dropped where they were shot, hogs and coyotes the same. It is a very underrated bullet, but it is terminally surprising indeed.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by alaska2go View Post
    Sierra match king bullets win more matches than all other bullets combined.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

OK, Thanks for the update. I just got back into reloading after taking a long hiatas from it. I haven't done much with Sierra bullets because I shot a moose back in the early 90s with a 180gr GK from a 300 win mag. It made a nice entry wound, turend the heart & lungs into jello, left no exit wound and I never found the bullet. I assumed it decintegrated in the vitals and I have never used sierra bullets again. It did kill the moose though.
    So the bullet failed miserably. How did you find out about the heart and lungs of the moose?

I think that many a time hunters spend more money than need on bullets than they need to spend. I have killed a whole lot of game with Game Kings, Remington Corelokts and Hornady Interlock bullets.

I always like to read your load work up stuff Tooth. I just recently bought a Vanguard SubMOA in 7mm-08 and am having a hoot with it.

I have been shooting Hornady 129 GMX bullets and getting great 100 yard groups with Varget, CFE223, H4895. The gun is not fussy in the least with any powder and the best groups come when near maximum loads are fired with all powders tried.

In the end my bullet of choice will be 120 grain Hornady soft points scooting along at 3100 fps. Will use them for pretty much the same stuff you are going to hunt with the 140s. I am a boiler room broadside shooter only so feel the 120s will be enough.

Nice looking gun ya got there too!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I think that many a time hunters spend more money than need on bullets than they need to spend. I have killed a whole lot of game with Game Kings, Remington Corelokts and Hornady Interlock bullets.

I always like to read your load work up stuff Tooth. I just recently bought a Vanguard SubMOA in 7mm-08 and am having a hoot with it.

I have been shooting Hornady 129 GMX bullets and getting great 100 yard groups with Varget, CFE223, H4895. The gun is not fussy in the least with any powder and the best groups come when near maximum loads are fired with all powders tried.

In the end my bullet of choice will be 120 grain Hornady soft points scooting along at 3100 fps. Will use them for pretty much the same stuff you are going to hunt with the 140s. I am a boiler room broadside shooter only so feel the 120s will be enough.

Nice looking gun ya got there too!

elmerkiethclone thanks, yes the 120 will do it on deer and such, 7mm08 is a cool cartirdge.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

139 GMX not 129. My brain knew what to type but my fingers didn't care!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    So the bullet failed miserably. How did you find out about the heart and lungs of the moose?
    "OK, Thanks for the update......... It made a nice entry wound, turend the heart & lungs into jello, left no exit wound and I never found the bullet......... It did kill the moose though."

"OK, Thanks for the update......... It made a nice entry wound, turend the heart & lungs into jello, left no exit wound and I never found the bullet......... It did kill the moose though."
    Sorry, I hope you recognized that as sarcasm.

No biggie...I just thought you missed it. I had a Hornady 165 BTSP Interlock explode on a deer once, as well. I had it loaded pretty hot and spined the deer at 15 yds. Took out a 4 inch chunk of meat and spine and left copper and lead fragments all through the wound. I still use the Hornadys and have had great performance on deer, hogs, moose and elk, except for that one time; I believe that high velocity, impacting bone at short range was the culprit of the failure in that case.

The moose that I shot with the Sierra was at 150 yds and the load was average but very accurate; the bullet only hit a rib, no reason to decintegrate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Sorry, I hope you recognized that as sarcasm.

I've had similar results with many good bullets. None are perfect. Lots of good ones out there though.

I love your signature line. Coolidge had some good ones.