Thread: Looking for tips for a Float Hunt Combo Moose/Caribou 2013

Default Looking for tips for a Float Hunt Combo Moose/Caribou 2013

Hi everyone. Just joined and have read through some threads, but thought I would pitch for some advice on locations for a hunt.

We are local in Anchorage, yet over half of us are from the lower 48 (working contracts in Anchorage). Couple of us have been on float hunts many many years ago, but want some updated advice on the best locations to hunt.

Details are as follows:

*6 total guys
    *Looking for the best success rate area even if trophys may not be possible (though desired)
    *Money is not neccessarily a factor
    *Willing to drive north to Fairbanks and fly out of there
    *Looking for something late August through mid September
    *Maybe a 10 day total hunt

Would love suggestions on charter service, locations to hunt, etc. I hope we are not planning this to late as I know they can book early.

Thanks everyone!

Ryan

Just my nickel, but 6 guys on one hunt trying to score will have about the same odds as all of you going to a bar and scoring on the same night. Add the non resident limits and it further complicates issues.

6 guys would need 3 rafts, if you all killed a moose that would be approximately 4200 lbs of moose meat. That is 6 flights for a average bush plane just for the meat alone, even in a Beaver it would be 3 or 4 loads. Add trying to keep all that meat edible and you can start to see all the logistics involved.

I would recommend you look into hiring a hunt planner. There are simply just not many places that offer moose and caribou and the areas that do many of which will have non resident antler restrictions for moose.

Michael Strahan, the owner of the site offers hunt planning and I think this would be money well spent in your situation.

http://www.alaskahuntplanning.com/Lo...pany/Home.html
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I agree with stid2677. I think too many people come up here thinking that the rules and game hunting reflects upon stories written in the 50's-70's. And if as you stated, money is not a critical issue, why not invest into a hunt planner such as Mike. Maybe he won't plan the entire hunt for you, but at least you have an experienced knowledge base to draw from and build upon.

Good luck.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Score II for Steves advice. One possible hunt is the Alaskan Range Caribou permit however that does not leave much time for booking flights.

There are options PM if you wish to chat about the Two I would recommend however again both are based on the Combo hunt with an Alaskan Range Bou tag in hand.

Of course certain areas off the North Slope offer a potential combo without having to draw a tag but as Steve pointed out Logistically they are a bit more to deal with.

Best Wishes

RMM
    BMR

I have floated with BlueMoose & he is a top notch guy

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Just my nickel, but 6 guys on one hunt trying to score will have about the same odds as all of you going to a bar and scoring on the same night. Add the non resident limits and it further complicates issues.

6 guys would need 3 rafts, if you all killed a moose that would be approximately 4200 lbs of moose meat. That is 6 flights for a average bush plane just for the meat alone, even in a Beaver it would be 3 or 4 loads. Add trying to keep all that meat edible and you can start to see all the logistics involved.

I would recommend you look into hiring a hunt planner. There are simply just not many places that offer moose and caribou and the areas that do many of which will have non resident antler restrictions for moose.

Michael Strahan, the owner of the site offers hunt planning and I think this would be money well spent in your situation.

I like what Steve said about going into a bar and having expectations for all of you scoring. Not only funny, but an excellent analogy. I met my wife at a church, but back in my younger years I spent too much time in the bars.

All kidding aside though, he hit the nail right on the head. If you are going with 6 guys I think it is safe to assume that you are all not going to fill your tags with moose and caribou. But, there are some options. #1, you could try going into an area that offers multiple species ie. moose, sheep, caribou, black bear, and grizzly. There are some places where you can do this. For example the Alaska Range as someone else has already mentioned. That way you all don't have to be stepping on each other's toes. #2, If you flew into unit 20E, you could do combo hunt where three of you hunted for caribou and 3 hunted for moose. You are only allowed to have a moose OR caribou tag for parts of that unit. You can't possess both at the same time. That way you could be hunting together and share a raft with two guys like others have already mentioned. #3, you could stagger your drop off dates in increments of a few days. But I tend to agree with Steve. Realistically 6 guys is pushing it. 2-3 guys is perfect IMO. After that, you really start to crowd each other. Alaska doesn't have the high density of animals you might see in other states. I believe the average statewide density for moose is a little under 1 moose per square mile. If you are in a really good area you might have 2-8 moose per square mile, but then you probably won't have an oppurtunity for caribou in those areas. Good luck.

As Non- Residents you will be limited to Moose, Caribou and Black Bear, but if you have your heart set on it, I would consider doing it this way.

Break your group down, 2 groups of 3 would be tight in most rafts but is very doable. Would be better in 3 rafts with 2 each. All could travel and fly together. Share a base camp and get ready to float, then break off in your groups and hopscotch your way down the drainage taking turns at floating first. You could meet in the middle and share a common camp and then continue on to the take out and again share a fire there.

Having done many floats, I can say it is hard to find a camp for 2 guys to hunt at the same time, never mind 6.

If you guys are serious and do your research there are a few places that you can do what you are looking for, but it is more limited for Non-Residents without some draw tags.

I still believe that a hunt planner split between your group would be a wise investment.

Be safe and have fun.

No offense intended.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

When I was putting in on the river for my hunt this year, three guys from Colorado were as well. They were saying they "planned" to kill one bull by point X.., then fly him out, then float a bit more, then kill two more. Then start on caribou. I told them that of 700 permits the year before 100-150 moose were taken.. many of those were from very experienced hunters, and folks that pay pretty good money to hunt planners, and air services... not to discourage them.. I suggested we get in touch after the hunt to tell stories.. exchanged addresses.. still no word.

When you read this forum, and see the great pictures, and read stories like the guy whose party killed three bulls .. one a 67 incher.. and his only complaint was he only got to hunt 10 hours.. you start to get a skewed view of Alaska hunting. Every year I kill a bull I think of myself as extremely lucky. This year I saw two moose in 10 days, and just by luck one was a legal bull. Go with 6 guys, and wow... lots of noise, scent, politics.. but could be fun I guess. Just difficult logistics. I felt like I was traveling with a crowd this year as I had my son along..two guys.. pretty quiet.. limited scent exposure..(looking out my window right now.. three moose, cow and two really good looking calves)).. more than I saw on my 10 day 40 mile hunt..lol Hunting the wrong area?..lol

If I were trying to do a hunt with five friends, I would completely forget about moose. I would do one of two things - book a fly-out hunt for caribou or a fly-out hunt for deer. Both species can potentially provide good chances of success for many people in a reasonably small area. If you fly out to a good location for caribou (out of Kotzebue, Bettles, or Happy Valley, for example), it is entirely possible that every member of your party could bring home a load of meat and antlers. It would be a great time, the six of you could share a camp, and the expense and logistics of getting your meat out of the field would be easier.

I think Brian likely has the best suggestion. In the right spot, 6 folks could reasonably hunt caribou or deer and stand a good chance of success in a 10 day hunt.

Moose? Good luck. Legal bulls are just fewer and farther between than that. Logistics of 6 moose hunters traveling in a group is just mind boggling.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Hi Ryan:

I agree with the other guys. If you serious about the hunt switch to a caribou hunt out of Kotz, best chance for your group to bag animals and come up for a moose hunt with 1 other friend next year. Getting 2 tags in a sub unit is a stretch, 6 over 50 inches??/ Nope.

Drop me a line and we can talk a bit.

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.net
    Unit 23 Float and Drop hunts

Ryan,
    I will have an airplane based on the south side of the brooks range for the 2013 hunting season, if you are interested.
    thanks
    Jeff Kruse