Thread: More hunters getting themselves in trouble.

Default More hunters getting themselves in trouble.

http://www.adn.com/2012/10/21/266769...e-william.html

More people are killed by falls and cold water than any dangerous game in this state. These guys were lucky. Be safe out there, all you who are going out for deer or trapping.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

If you don't care about yourself, at least put the life vest on to set a good example for the kid. And get a raft.

It's easy to armchair quarterback this situation. The best situation to quarterback is your own. When heading out take the time to voice sinarios and go over gear requirments. If your with a new partner, ask questions! Show concern about your safety and the desire to return. Once you've estabished Travel logistics and safety then turn your attention to the sport and recreation. File you trip plans. In this day and age....if you can afford a charter you can afford at least a SPOT device.

Good luck this winter and I hope everyone enjoys many safe outings!

They may have made a poor decission on the life jacket, how many others do the same? The son shows someone is doing a good job teaching. To keep his cool and get help is not an easy task. Hats off to the young man for paying attention to Dad.

I am happy to hear the kid had the know how and presence of mind to make the call.

I seriously can't believe that the CG has to send a copter from KODIAK to make a PWS rescue. Has anyone actually used a SPOT for rescue purposes? I have one and use it, but haven't used it to call for help yet. I can't imagine that it would be a very quick source of rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    It's easy to armchair quarterback this situation. The best situation to quarterback is your own. When heading out take the time to voice sinarios and go over gear requirments. If your with a new partner, ask questions! Show concern about your safety and the desire to return. Once you've estabished Travel logistics and safety then turn your attention to the sport and recreation. File you trip plans. In this day and age....if you can afford a charter you can afford at least a SPOT device.

Good luck this winter and I hope everyone enjoys many safe outings!
    Spot on.. it's too easy to critique somebody's mistake or bad choice when it could have happened to anybody. The best was made out of a terrible situation. My hats off to the young man.. I'm sure he feels like no hero, just doing what he could.

A canoe in PWS??? What were they thinking?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Spot programming

I've programmed my Spot with phone numbers and info relative to Sitka in hopes that durring a time sensitive emergency the right departments would be notified. In my case USCG sector Juneau and Sitka SAR. The contact info for my spouse is also on there. It's not a conversation but it's emergency communications . I haven't used it for an emergency yet.

Hnd site is always 20/20, well usually anyway. Most of us can look back at at least one trip and think, ya, that probably was stupid. I used to hunt ducks in Ketch in Nov/Dec in a Kayak, but I was wearing a dry suit. I'd use a canoe to do what they were doing, or at least what I envision they were doing, but I'd have a life jacket on as well. I wouldn't be going all over the place in it, just getting my birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    A canoe in PWS??? What were they thinking?
    Whats wrong with a canoe in PWS? I have used one and know other people that have as well. Its not any different than using one on any of the lakes or rivers in Alaska. The water is the same temperature and the wind picks up almost as bad on some of the big lakes as it does in the sound. Heck they were 50 feet of shore, why they didn't just hold onto the canoe and paddle it to the correct shore before their muscles cramped up is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Whats wrong with a canoe in PWS? I have used one and know other people that have as well. Its not any different than using one on any of the lakes or rivers in Alaska. The water is the same temperature and the wind picks up almost as bad on some of the big lakes as it does in the sound. Heck they were 50 feet of shore, why they didn't just hold onto the canoe and paddle it to the correct shore before their muscles cramped up is beyond me.
    I think it said that the tide was headed out.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    I think it said that the tide was headed out.
    Yeah it was but I have spent a lot of time in PWS over the years and never had the tide suck me out when in a boat, canoe, or raft. Cook Inlet on the other hand I could see the tide causing some problems.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Yeah it was but I have spent a lot of time in PWS over the years and never had the tide suck me out when in a boat, canoe, or raft. Cook Inlet on the other hand I could see the tide causing some problems.
    I was in a spot in the sound this last weekend where the tide was like a river, when I was idling in gear in boat, I was moving backwards.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I was in a spot in the sound this last weekend where the tide was like a river, when I was idling in gear in boat, I was moving backwards.
    Yea, but Bronco has a Woolie not a Hewey! Harrison lagoon can rip pretty good on an ebb or flood. There are lots of places out on the Sound that rip pretty good.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.