Thread: mat valley pike

Default mat valley pike

i know of probly a dozen good pike lakes in the mat valley memory, big lake, south rolly,pond behind the church at big lake cut off, a few awsome ponds in the nacy lake rec area and so on but the last two years havent been great i fish rod and real and bow got some nice pike but this year and last caught more weight in pike in the smallest lil pond of all them then the rest combined whats every one elses take on the local pike

how is redshirt? thinking of skiing out there this winter and poking some holes.

Quote Originally Posted by jbfreyer View Post
    how is redshirt? thinking of skiing out there this winter and poking some holes.
    russians just fished it out 20 minutes ago!
    Semper Fi!

Rofl!

Maybe if they did we could get the native fish populations back up in that lake lol.

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    i know of probly a dozen good pike lakes in the mat valley memory, big lake, south rolly,pond behind the church at big lake cut off, a few awsome ponds in the nacy lake rec area and so on but the last two years havent been great i fish rod and real and bow got some nice pike but this year and last caught more weight in pike in the smallest lil pond of all them then the rest combined whats every one elses take on the local pike
    I tried that lake behind the church last year and earlier this year for pike and couldnt get a single one to bite! Use to be able to pull them out with ease but either they dropped in numbers or they are getting wiser to those around biglake looking for easy pike lol.

I usually head out to redshirt when ever I have gone for pike, but I hear they are really starting to invade a lot of the lakes around here. Maybe this winter I may try some through the ice. When I was younger we would camp at South Rolly and hike in to Redshirt for pike and during the later part of the day when we were relaxing we would through out for pike from camp and just watch the bobbers.

the lake behind the church has one guarenteed spot with a fly rod and boat pay attention to deep lilly pads in large numbers if that helps or drive in were they blocked it a while back due to trash im sure. south rolly has two ponds behind it at the rite time they are amazing and huge fish but south rolly when fresh stocked just paddle around with the biggest group of stockers and watch with a bow the big pike are every were second best ive seen for numbers that happens day after day bring bug dope! memory is my fave with the biggest numbers seen ive seen over 30 36" plus fish in one spot at a time good glasses sunny no wind day and the rite color on the bottom of your boat u can creep rite over them great bow or jig fishing if u find them its fun there always in the same spot for over a month just not this year lol

Thats one thing I wanted to try this year that I didn't get to was Bow fishing for Pike. I wondered about those two ponds but never tried them.

I have had best luck using weedless frogs/mice when I go for them. I have had decent luck using hearing off bottom or with a bobber in shallow areas but they seem to like movement the most from my experience.

I have never fished Memory, may just have to give that one a try.

As for Redshirt, the most fun I have had was on sunny days and the water is calm. Cast to shore then twitch it back out from the weeds through the "under water clearings" if that makes sense. Funny watching all those little "Logs" suddenly hone in on that frog like 5 or 6 little submarines lol. Its awesome watching them come up and nail it.

Sounds like I should have gone out to redshirt this summer before the russians got there. i was out at long lake and the rolly lakes twice this spring to only find the ice was still out there. breakup must be behind in that area? new to the game in the big/nancy lake. area
    Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    russians just fished it out 20 minutes ago!

Quote Originally Posted by jbfreyer View Post
    Sounds like I should have gone out to redshirt this summer before the russians got there. i was out at long lake and the rolly lakes twice this spring to only find the ice was still out there. breakup must be behind in that area? new to the game in the big/nancy lake. area
    I have noticed that Wasilla lake is usually out before those are. I believe that when Biglake is out those are out roughly the same time, at least South Rolly is roughly give or take a week.