Thread: Nail through the tire: Patch it?

Default Nail through the tire: Patch it?

I got a small nail through my stock ATV tire. No, I wasn't doing anything spectacular, just pushing the king quad out of the garage for spring cleaning.
    A friend said buy a new one because if you ride a long ways you will be stuck. Patch the old or get a new?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Put a good Quality plug in it and forget about it. I carry a plug kit with me all the time om the trail.

Woody

Quote Originally Posted by smwwoody View Post
    Put a good Quality plug in it and forget about it. I carry a plug kit with me all the time om the trail.

Woody

I second that. I have had a plug in one of my 28" bugs for almost a year now and it has not leaked. If the plug doesn't do the job you could also slime the tire. Highlifter has a really cool air sealant that injects pieces of teflon that is supposed to plug up a hole around 1/4". Much cheaper than buying a new tire.

My dad had so many patches in one of tires of his TRX 300 that it looked like a trimmed porcupine and it never leaked.

Default Green slime

Plug and put the green slime in your tires it works great ,Thats the first thing I do when I buy new bikes is let the air out and fill it with the slime seal , Buy it at Walmart

http://www.slimesealant.com/product.php?product=yellow
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Plug and put the green slime in your tires it works great ,Thats the first thing I do when I buy new bikes is let the air out and fill it with the slime seal , Buy it at Walmart

http://www.slimesealant.com/product.php?product=yellow
    Man, if you had to get a new atv tire everytime it got a hole in it...I would go into the atv tire business...TODAY! Don't know where your buddy got his info from, but it's totally wrong.

To piggy back on Roger's post here.... I would go to www.highlifter.com and order some of their tire sealant (AIRLCKHL-12HLP AIRLOCK TIRE SEALANT 12 PK. (32 OZ BOTTLES). This stuff is pricey 179.00 for the 12 pack (this will do three atv's). If you have older atv's this may be too much money. But if you have a new quad(s) this is the way to go. If you call them, you should be able to get individual bottles (four bottles for one quad) for a much cheaper price. Their online catolog only lists the bulk purchase prices.

This has been the best sealant I've ever used. They used to have a display in their showroom that has a 2-ply turf tire on a spindle, along with a large (12" long) taper punch that has been sharpened. You take the punch and puncture the tire, drive in the taper punch as far as you want. Remove the punch and you hear the air coming out of the tire. Rotate the tire slowly one turn and you immediately hear the tire seal. This sealant will seal your tire hole in one revolution of the tire. This display tire had well over a hundred holes in it, and it held air with no problem. This was all I needed to be sold. I put it in all 4 of my vampires 6 years ago....I've never had a flat from a puncture. Truelly good stuff (but for that price it better be... ).

I do carry a plug kit just in case though.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

"Nessesity is the Mother of Invention."

Had a buddy sidewall the rear tire on his '88 250R some time back, we ran out of the brown tire plugs you can get at Napa but we had a pretty good sized can of the vulcanizing glue. Drianed all the fluid out of a butane "Bic" lighter and jammed that in there. Glue actually melted and adheared the lighter to the tire, and he didn't just baby it home. Rode on it all weekend and it held. He keeps the tire at his shop for proof. Was the same guy that got a bunch of us involved in reseating a tire using some gas for propellent and peanut butter for tire lube/sealant. Sure stunk but it worked!!!!

"Ya' don't gotta' be smart, ya' just gotta' want to get home."

Ride safe, have fun!!!!

Just patch it. Yes, I'm cheap. But patches work. If possible, go for one of those nice internal patches rather than the plug. I've used the plugs, and I've used slime. But I haven't found anything that does its job and holds as long as a good internal patch. Certainly tougher to do, but well worth it in my opinion.

Default patch plugs

I've been using automotive patch plugs for years. Works for me. I hate dealing with the slime in a tire later on. Nasty stuff.

Plug it, I have several times, even on the sidewalls and no leaks yet.