Thread: Winch recommendations

Question Winch recommendations

I purchased and installed a 1500 lb winch this last winter mostly for using with the snowplow on my ATV. I have had ATV's for 11 yrs and never felt a winch was absolutley necessary. Having said that its is faster to push or pull with another machine than pay out your line. On rare occasion I have used a comealong because it was necessary although very slow.

So... I just went to a link that was posted on winches and read that it is suggested that you purchase a winch that is 1.5 X's stronger than your vehicles weight. That being said if a loaded wheeler is 900 lbs X 1.5 =1350 lbs of pull suggested. So a 1500 lb winch should be more than adequate. IF it isn't strong enough then you could use a snatch block and double the pulling strength. I keep hearing about 2500 lb winches on ATV's and I'm wondering if that is necessary, overkill or more is just better. What are some of your actual experiences and opinions?

What you are saying is true however there are other factors to consider. A ATV stuck in the mud will weigh way more than the weight of the atv simply from the mud stuck on it plus the mud will hold it in place. This is why you need more power. How much do we need? Good question. I think a 2,500 is perfectly adequate but I have a 3,000 on my Arctic Cat simply because it is better built than the older 2,500 models. I also carry a snatch block.
    And dont forget, what a winch will pull is calculated on the first wrap of line. As each level of line increases the power of the winch is reduced.
    I never thought a winch was required till my brother and I went moose hunting last year. Five miles into the trip my Warn fried and I didnt have a winch on the KQ my brother was riding. The trail was terrible and it was a long 14 hours getting to camp. I kept on thinking.......what if I get stuck and he can not get close enough to pull me with a tow strap? I learned my lesson and will never own another machine without a winch.
    Tennessee

Another thing to consider. You decrease the pull weight of your winch by 12% for each wrap of line on the spool (see website link)...hence the need for a bigger winch. I don't know why it works this way, but it is what was in my Warn 2000 manual when I bought it.

As stated before me, mud will definitely put a strain on the best of winches. Suction is a M.F. and it will definitely increase the dead weight of a quad tremedously. More than one time, my winch couldn't get me out of the mire by itself. My quad weighs 750lbs (dry weight)

http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/faqs/winches.html
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Ditto what Snowwolfe said. I think a 2500# is minimum for the average sized 4x4 these days. Once you get them mired down in the mud, you are pulling much more than just the machine.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

When I am stuck i never have a big tree for an anchor most of the time it small brush’s. What good is a 2500# or an 8000# wench if your anchor will only hold 500#?

If you need more than a 2500# wench, i would suggest you carry a jack, 100' cable and a shovel.

LOL
    My thoughts exactly, that's why I carry different lengths of cable in my cargo box, 25', 50', 75', and 100'. Aircraft grade cable rated at 4500 lbs is cheap at AIH. I have been in too many spots where there were no anchor spots. I also carry a 36" shovel strapped to the back of my Tamarack cargo box. People laugh at it, until they need one.

I have a 2500 pound winch on my grizzly. I also keep 100 feet of 1/2 inch rope and a rope come along on the back of my rack just in case. I seldom need any of it as two or three guys can usually push the machine out quicker than winching but you never know especially when you go out by yourself.