Thread: Finally some nice clouds, water, and ice

Default Finally some nice clouds, water, and ice

A couple of photos I took today. I have been waiting for some nice clouds, and my wish came through on my way home from work.

Default Postcard

Perfect postcard images. Great job! What lens did you use for these shots?

-Eddie
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Quote Originally Posted by tull777 View Post
    Perfect postcard images. Great job! What lens did you use for these shots?

-Eddie
    Tokina 12-24mm f/2.8 set at 12mm, and a Hoya Ultra circular polarizer over the lens. It's a great little lens for landscapes, and very sharp. The Tamrom 17-50mm f/2.8 is another outstanding lens for general use that is much better than the 18-55mm Canon kit lens. Since the filter is so expensive, I have a step-up ring (67mm to 77mm) I can mount on the Tamrom and use the same 77mm filter I use on the Tokina.

grizzeyes

geez, wish i would take the time and go out to shoot but is all i have is a 500.00 digital panasonic lumix dmc fz20 no attachments, nothing. did you use a tripod when taking these pics

Quote Originally Posted by grizzeyes View Post
    geez, wish i would take the time and go out to shoot but is all i have is a 500.00 digital panasonic lumix dmc fz20 no attachments, nothing. did you use a tripod when taking these pics
    No. I just wore my hip boots and waded to the middle, and then stood still for a couple of minutes until the water settled down. My camera cost around $800.00 last year, but since it has been upgraded by Canon, the new upgrade costs $800.00 and mine now costs half as much. The expense is in the lenses, high quality filters, and such, specially if you buy brand name lenses. I can't afford Canon "L" lenses, so I have a Tokina 12-24mm, a Tamron 17-50mm, and a Sigma 70-300mm. The Canon lenses I have are cheap, but I have taken pretty nice pictures with them:

18-55mm kit lens, and a second-hand 35-135mm Ultrasonic. The first one costs around $45.00 at e-Bay, and I paid a little over $100.00 for the second one.

Since my Tokina is my primary landscape lens, it takes a while for me to save the money and buy a good filter. This Tokina uses 77mm filters, so the added glass size brings the cost up. But if your lens uses smaller filters, lest say..58mm's or so, these don't cost as much as a 77mm filter of the same kind.

A good quality polarizer filter blocks a great amount of the light that is reflected on the water's surface, right into your camera lens, and not as much for the indirect light in the rest of the picture. So the sky looks clearer and with greater contrast. What you want is a circular polarizer. The filter has a little mark on the ring, so I rotate the filter so the mark is on top.

Another filter that I am saving for is a high quality neutral density one. The effects of a ND filter can be seen here:
    http://www.gimpguru.org/Tutorials/NDFilter/
    Last edited by RayfromAK; 04-28-2007 at 11:04.

Just goes to show that good things come to those who wait! Nice images Ray!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page