Thread: Learned a few things this weekend calling coyotes

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Learned a few things this weekend calling coyotes

Spent Friday afternoon and most of yesterday with the Fox pro, and an assortment of mouth calls, and made about 30 sets in a 15 mile range,.

seen yotes, and what i learned

1, when he is sitting on the shoulder of the road, watching cars, hes not that hungery... and they always seem to sit ON THE ROAD..

2, warm weather +15 and up... they looked at my calling location but made no move to investigate...

3 seem to be up mid day during the low light and bedding at night still...

4 i am really good at calling in ravens and grey jays and mag pie... the raven swooped in and attacked my Fox pro decoy, while it bobbled around.... not sure it can be sewn back up... nearly lost the entire critter..

need more snow and really need colder temps.. lots of single animals.. and at least two packs back in the hills yet, heard what sounded like 20-30 yowling in the hills behind us... all with in a local area..

needless to say, only ones i seen were ON the road... and unable to be shot, and only spooked off when big rigs blew by them.. I did find a dead, half eaten husky/sled dog,,, asked around but havent located its owner so they can stop looking
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

At least your seeing them, I was out doing some work today and saw one fox about 9 am. Nothing seems to be coming in to calls. Haven't seen a yote since moose season. Thinking about going up the steese or elliot next weekend.

I saw one this weekend as well.. right on the road! looked like a youngin. im thinking the early season is a good time to take advantage of the younger, less educated coyotes.
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

I saw 4 different coyotes on my way back from Valdez on Saturday. They were between Meiers lake and Summit lake. One appeared to be just sitting in the brush line looking at traffic. Two others were crossing the road and the other one was in a small pullout. I also noticed alot of eagles sitting in the trees along the Gulkana river from the paxson lodge all the way up to the rest area by the outlet on Summit lake. I did not count every eagle but there must have been at least 30-40 of them.

Labman and I went out yesterday and saw a grand total of one roadkill moose, and one roadkill coyote. But it was a gorgeous day. We did a bit of exploring, found a few new areas to keep an eye on, made some great sets, walked Roca for a bit, it was all good. We did not hear any coyotes talking either, but oh well. We found we are adept at callling in camp robbers though. How exciting is that?
    Overall bunny numbers appear to be way down, we saw sporadic upland bird sign, and surprising enough, only a little small rodent sign. I'm wondering how all of these wild dogs are going to eat this year?
    Did see some lynx tracks which give us some hope for after the start of trapping season. All in all it was a good day to be out, not too cold, not too windy, clear and sunny. We'll be out again soon just looking around,
    ARR

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Re: Learned a few things this weekend calling coyotes

Ah good to hear your alive Greg...and better to hear your out and about

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yep, they say I'm to darn mean for cancer to get ahold of me and too tenacious to lie down and die. So the only other thing to do is get out and enjoy life, which means spending time w/ Roca and my son. Spending a day driving around enjoying the scenery and NOT having to skin an animal is way ok by me. Not sure I had it in me to pull the trigger if I saw something bigger than a Hare.
    Life is good Vince,
    ARR

So just a question for you guys out there about calling. do you only use a distress call or do you ever use a howler. Im a rookie when it comes to calling coyotes just want to know what works best.

Obviously you should not be asking Vince or myself as we could not find a dog if it were in a cage, that is if you don't count roadkills. Snowcamoman is pretty good at all this, hope he can weigh in, or one of the other guys that have seen success. The only two coyotes I've ever taken were solely w/ a distress call, but that is all I had. I did not know they made a howler back then.
    ARR

I'll try to give a little of information on how I've called in coyote's I've seen before calling, or called and they wouldn't commit and I've come back later in the day to get them. If I've seen one near or cross the road, just keep on driving. Go down the road a ways and turn around. It really helps if somebody is with you, so they can do a "slow roll" and you can bail out of the truck on the road. They just drop you off 300 or so yards from where you saw that coyote cross. Setup as best as possible, playing the wind and all of those other variables that you can to put the odds in your favor. Try using a rabbit distress or bird distress at a lower volume, since you know there's a coyote probably within 600 yards of where you sit. Let it play for a minute and then go to silence mode. Wait 3 or 4 minutes to see if anything happens. If not, go into a coyote bark/howl at a pretty loud volume level. You already know the coyote is non commital over the distress sound, so go for their other sense (territory). Just play the bark/howl for 20 seconds or so (one or two repetitions). Then go silent for 4 or 5 minutes and see if you can pick out that coyote sneaking in. If nothing shows, try using a coyote/rabbit fight scenario if you have that type of sound. At this point, you're trying to make that coyote think that there is now an intruder in their area and he's getting a free meal too. I've had success with this type of calling, it just takes a bit of patience. A good way to call like this is using a shotgun and standing in the thicker wooded area along roads.

Hey thanks for the information im going to try and get out this weekend. I saw a lot of fox and coyote tracks last weekend when I was rabbit hunting and not any rabbits.

use the howler at first light or at dusk to locate them.. move to their location.. set up, then use a distress call and wait.. patiently... if their hungry, they will come.. if their bellies are full.. they will still come but usually hang up outside and just look and watch..

what I do know is my phone didnt ring Vince! LOL Went out the other day, had the wind swirling everywhere. Had a nice silver come in, but not close enough for a shot before the wind swapped ends on me! every time I set up the wind was wrong, blah. Pulled the plug and sorted some more gear that needed put up for winter.

Glad to hear of you again AK River Rat...welcome back!