Thread: Para Ordanance?

Default Para Ordanance?

I recently purchases a Springfield Armory stainless steel 1911-A1 45 ACP TRP. I could not be happier. That got me to thinking about a higher cap pistol in either 45 ACP or 40 S&W. The Para Ordnance folks used to have a questionable quality reputation but I understand the company changed ownership and/or management and the quality has improved with the new management.

Can anyone tell me the current state of fit, function, and accuracy of the Para Ord's currently being produced?

Can anyone tell me the depth and width of the grip on the 45 Limited...is it similar to the Glock 21?

Thanks,

MyTime
    MyTime

Quote Originally Posted by MyTime View Post
    I recently purchases a Springfield Armory stainless steel 1911-A1 45 ACP TRP. I could not be happier. That got me to thinking about a higher cap pistol in either 45 ACP or 40 S&W. The Para Ordnance folks used to have a questionable quality reputation but I understand the company changed ownership and/or management and the quality has improved with the new management.

Can anyone tell me the current state of fit, function, and accuracy of the Para Ord's currently being produced?

Can anyone tell me the depth and width of the grip on the 45 Limited...is it similar to the Glock 21?

Thanks,

MyTime
    Not sure from where the bogus allegation of questionable quality comes, but I have been carrying a P12-45 for about 20 years. It's a very well engineered design, and has been 100 percent reliable. 13 round capacity with one in the chamber, fits my medium-small hands better than any single stack, and is much more comfortable to shoot. I would imagine the current production continues to be on par or better than what other manufacturers are producing.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Its not that they changed ownership. They moved to the USA to get away from all the Canadian fooey over gun registration and their oppressive handgun laws.

That said, I have an old P12 and love it for the same reason as iofthetiaga. The huge double stack fits my small hand much better than a normal 1911. The gun runs well with no issues so far. I have no idea about their current production quality.

I don't know if my old P12 would be comparable to their current production guns in size. I do know that they fit my hand better than any Glock ever has.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    I have an old P12 and love it for the same reason as iofthetiaga. The huge double stack fits my small hand much better than a normal 1911.
    Not to hijack the thread, and I don't have 1911 here for comparison, but to me the double stack seems anything but 'huge'. Not sure what the actual measurements are, but the length of pull on a slab side 1911 seems uncomfortably long to my hand. As I said, my hands are probably average to slightly smaller than average, and the Para LOP feels much shorter. My opinion for what it's worth, is that the Para design is far superior to the original 1911.
    Its not that they changed ownership. They moved to the USA to get away from all the Canadian fooey over gun registration and their oppressive handgun laws.
    I would think the move to production under a US corporate structure had more to do with avoiding US import taxes, than Canadian registration laws (?).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

iofthetaiga and AK Ray,

I used to live outside of Ft Bragg in NC in 2008. Para Ordnance had a real bad rap (reliability and customer service) from gun dealers outside of the front gate and through the local area. I think the Paras look real good on the computer but I haven't known anyone who actually owns one..so I turned to AOD. It sounds like you guys have had a good experience with them and that wanted to read. Thanks guys!

MyTime

If you're in the Fbks area you're welcome to range test mine.
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    If you're in the Fbks area you're welcome to range test mine.
    I thank you Sir. Truly a kind offer. The Army cancelled my orders to AK and kept me at Fort Campbell in KY. I retire in 2 years and will most likely stay here. I'd still like to get up there for a visit some day but living there is probably not going to happen. I wish I could take you up on your offer.

MyTime

I took a class with a well known instructor this summer. He said he carries a Para, but only after most of the internals were replaced with Colt parts. It is, in his experience, the best way to get a reliable Para.

There was a brand new Para in the same class built as a unit commemorative gun, and it did not run well.

And Para was in fact bought by the hydra known as Freedom Group. Ask Wildalaska how that worked out for Marlin quality.

I've carried and shot a P-13 for close to 10 years, only problems I've had with it were due to my lead handloads (bad bullet shape). It's never, ever had a problem with factory ammo. In 2009, I was running 100-300 rounds through it once a week, at least three times a month. Yikes! I just realized how many rounds I shot through that thing!

It seems a lot of guys like the P-12, grip's too short for me. I wish I knew why Para dropped the P-13. I haven't seen one in years while I've seen 3 P-12s for sale in the last month.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!