Thread: Ice... and divers

Default Ice... and divers

3 of us went out this morning. LOTS of ice, up to 2 inches thick on the lake. Made for a crunchy boat ride... It was a very slow morning, a few big groups of goldeneyes came through and a few didn't make it out. Toss in some lesser and greater scaup, and a hen mallard that seems to have forgotten to fly south and call it a day! We came out with 13 total, 1 of which was a full color common goldeneye drake.Oct 20 divers.jpg

The squirrel was a casualty of war...

Great job man...thats awesome, I will assume DL was the lake you were talking about ..looks like the road at least..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Nope, maud lake. We set up in the creek (nowhere else to set up I guess, the cats outta the bag!!) Not much out there anymore, less than 150 birds I'd guess.

Awesome!!!

AK Marine how do you cook your diver birds the only way Iv found I like them is to have sausage made out of them but it takes alot of birds to make 20 pounds LOL
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    AK Marine how do you cook your diver birds the only way Iv found I like them is to have sausage made out of them but it takes alot of birds to make 20 pounds LOL
    I do the same thing. I've got about 100lbs of duck/goose breasts to be ground up... probably going to mix it with another 100lbs of pork.

I cooked up some goldeneyes and ptarmigan a week ago. Soaked them in egg and milk for a day. Spiced em up with cayenne, white/black pepper, garlic, and onion powder. Wrapped and pinned them with bacon. Cooked to medium in the oven. Not a whole lot of difference between the duck and the Ptarm. Tasted fine even though I am not a big duck eater. Now that dal that I cooked last night with Stid's recipe - well - it was awesome.

Last time I suggested a similar recipe I was told that it didn't taste like duck and they would not do it, just wrap it in bacon and grill it.
    Bet your glad you did it your way! Good eating!
    Jesse