Thread: Advice on hunting pants vs snowpants for Snowmachine/ATV hunt up north

Default Advice on hunting pants vs snowpants for Snowmachine/ATV hunt up north

I am going on a hunt up north below Fairbanks in a couple weeks. The area we are going will probably not have enough snow for a snowmachine, so it might be ATV instead. In any case, my question is this...

Can I wear my Russell APXG2 L5 waterproof breathable unlined pants in lieu of traditional snowpants?

I have a couple pair of snowpants, one insulated pair with no side zips and a full zipping shell that is a bit too tight. I will be wearing the first two layers of the polartec cold weather gear (military surplus, I love them) and optionally a pair of fleece pants if it is super cold. The Russell APXG2 are loose enough to accommodate all my layers, has enough stretch to make them very comfy, and they worked awesome on a bear hunt in Whittier in early May.

I also have some white bunny boots as I don't think my mucks will be quite warm enough since we intend on very little hiking. I grew up in North Pole, but I was never into outdoor activities to any serious degree... I relied on crappy snowpants and heavy carhart stuff. So while I could easily load up on old wool gear or the like, I would like a modicum of comfort and not to have to fight my gear when I try to move.

Any thoughts?

First and foremost: Do NOT wear anything that is snug or tight. You will not be warm. This includes boots. Sounds like the pants will work with enough layers underneath. Riding a wheeler is very cold. Can you stay warm for 30 miles just sitting there at 20 below? You shooting smokepole or center fire rifle?

Good point on not wearing anything tight. I will go for the waterproof pants... they have plenty of give and room underneath. I think I might throw an extra wind layer on if I can manage it, some wind chaps or something, since it looks like about a 30mi ride on a well made dirt road in the middle of nowhere.

I will be shooting a 30.06 marlin xs7 or something like that. It is a nice little rifle, I am very happy with it. Well, that is after I broke it down and lock-tighted everything, can you believe the take-down bolts FELL OUT on a 4-wheel trip on opening week of Moose season up in Hatcher's Pass? I was pretty pissed off... but they sent me two sets, an alan wrench next day air and I haven't had any issues since. I am on the fence about exploring black powder or bows next...

Thanks for the quick reply.