Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gee, I wonder why...?

Default Gee, I wonder why...?

Gee, i wonder why there are no Grouse around here?

Ran into this guy at real close range today while poking around on base looking for birds. He didn't have a care and was very cat like arrogant! This is taken with my phone. Look how close my shadow is, this linx is the size of a labrador!

Wow cool experience though did it eventually wander off or did it just hang out. Real close experience with a lynx

After a few minutes, he stretched and walked off. It was pretty cool. This might be a better picture...

of course, if there actually were no grouse, he wouldn't have been there...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

...they don't eat rabbits?

probably grouse AND wabbits around...
    been seeing lots of bunny tracks around the house, a few lynx (at least one monster!) and some wolf sign the other day. lots of grouse on the roads before it snowed, as well.

That's pretty crazy that he let you get so close, but it really doesn't surprise me. Like any cat, they are pretty curious animals. And other than us they really don't have any predators.

My wife was driving down our road one winter day and pretty much did the same thing......she stopped and had a stare down with it from about 50 ft. away before he wandered off. Even the car didn't scare it....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I am so jealous! As a wildlife photograher of some 35 years I search for moments like this all the time, and only rarely have I been so lucky. In all of my travels across Alaska I've only had one opportunity to photograph a lynx. It was indeed a pretty good opportunity to get a couple of grab shots in poor light, but I'd be extremely pleased to ever get an opportunity like you did. And in great sunlight no less!

Good for you. This image will be etched in your memory forever.

Jim

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    I am so jealous! As a wildlife photograher of some 35 years I search for moments like this all the time, and only rarely have I been so lucky. In all of my travels across Alaska I've only had one opportunity to photograph a lynx. It was indeed a pretty good opportunity to get a couple of grab shots in poor light, but I'd be extremely pleased to ever get an opportunity like you did. And in great sunlight no less!

Good for you. This image will be etched in your memory forever.

Jim
    Well, I'm no great photographer as is evident, but if you can imagine the comedy of me running to that cat at close quarters sunning himself. I went into a Keystone cops/circus clown drill to get my phone out which is an iPhone. After frantically sliding my gloved fingers across the screen to no avail, phone in one hand and shotgun in the other, I had to take a glove off with my teeth to bring the camera into operation. There I am holding my shotgun in one hand, phone in the other and glove in my teeth wondering what that weird taste is, I started then fumbling with my glasses to try to get a better photo because I had been aiming at the brown blur on the screen hoping it was the Lynx. The only way anything comes into focus without my stupid glasses is at exactly 4 inches longer than my arm. While all of this was happening, I was marveling at how close I was to this cat and how much bigger it looked than what I remember seeing on TV. I'll admit there was brief moment where I wondered if a Lynx had ever attacked a human.
    I never did get the camera into zoom mode before the cat, with the arrogance that only cats possess, walked off realizing that whatever I was, no threat. How's that for an image!

That's funny. I can relate!

Cool picture. I saw a lynx (maybe the same one) on base two weeks ago.

Many years ago I was hunting sprucehen in Kasilof. As I was driving down the road I spotted a sprucehen cross in front of me.
    Before I had the truck pulled over two more crossed in front of me.
    As I was stalking towards these birds the sky erupted with at least a dozen sprucehen.
    I carefully watched which tree at least three of the birds settled into. I walked up to the first tree and waited for the bird to stick his head out.
    As soon as the dead bird hit the ground a small lynx ran up and grabbed the bird in his mouth like a birddog.
    I shot over his head and he looked back at me and then kept walking.
    I shot twice more and he dropped my bird backed up ten feet and stared at me.
    I grabbed my bird and backed out of the woods and let him have the rest of the birds.
    Of course I did not have a camera or a cell phone with one.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Many years ago I was hunting sprucehen in Kasilof. As I was driving down the road I spotted a sprucehen cross in front of me.
    Before I had the truck pulled over two more crossed in front of me.
    As I was stalking towards these birds the sky erupted with at least a dozen sprucehen.
    I carefully watched which tree at least three of the birds settled into. I walked up to the first tree and waited for the bird to stick his head out.
    As soon as the dead bird hit the ground a small lynx ran up and grabbed the bird in his mouth like a birddog.
    I shot over his head and he looked back at me and then kept walking.
    I shot twice more and he dropped my bird backed up ten feet and stared at me.
    I grabbed my bird and backed out of the woods and let him have the rest of the birds.
    Of course I did not have a camera or a cell phone with one.
    About a year ago last fall I had one run across the road in front of me on K-Beach....

But the one I will remember the most is when we were driving home from Valdes in a snowstorm after a deer hunt in the sound. It was dark. There were 3 of us in the front seat of the truck and it was snowing really hard as we dropped down into the Anchorage bowl. As we all sat there, tired and kind of mesmerized looking at the snow in the headlights, I was looking as far ahead as I could when I started seeing these "flashes of white" about the size of a softball just above the surface of the road. I didn't say anything yet as I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me and it would stop for a few seconds and then start up again. We kept driving and it looked as though these "flashes of white" where getting closer. Finally I had to say to my buddies...."are you seeing what I'm seeing...what the hell is that? Then the guys said "you see that too?" what the heck? When we were almost upon whatever it was, it started zigzagging and then I got a sideways silhouette. What I had been seeing (the flashes of white) were the back paws of a lynx as it ran down the highway directly in front of us. When we got too close it finally turned and jumped off the road.

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Back when I was working as a Game Warden for the Army I rescued a lynx from a wolf trap after the season closure. I was having a heckuva hard time getting him out of the heavy trap so I arranged for a syringe and a sedative to be delivered to me way out on the Tanana Flats. Long story. But after getting the 40 pound tom out of the trap he was supposed to only sleep for about 45 minutes. Well, about 8 hours later, and only after I had wrapped the big cat in a space blanket and laid him on a bed of spruce boughs near a large fire I'd made did he finally wake up and walk off into the forest. The next spring I came upon another lynx lying out in the same trail and just knew he was also in a trap as I drove up on my snow machine right next to him, took my parka off and prepared to deal with the lynx. That's when he got up and walked off! It was mating season and that's all that was on this cat's mind.

Watched this guy from 40 feet or so for 20 minutes - pouncing on rodents - he only looked up at me once!

Lynx.jpg

A snap of me and the sedated lynx. I had no idea I'd be out there in the backcountry well into the evening hours waiting for this fellow to wake up. I did spend a lot of time palpating his foot and leg and never could find any bone damage from the heavy trap. When he finally awoke, lying next to me in front of the fire, the lynx just stood, stretched, and walked off. He stopped to look back at me from the edge of the light and I just waved to him and said "See ya, Lucky!"

Well, I appear to be having some issues with copying the photo via my Ipad. I'll try later.

u should have tried to hold and pet it.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Well, I appear to be having some issues with copying the photo via my Ipad. I'll try later.
    Assuming your using safari, It's not possible to post photos via iPads safari browser. But Tapatalk will work.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Okay, let's try this again! "Lucky" the lynx.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast