Thread: Is this system any good ??

Smile Is this system any good ??

Would like to hear what others that have used this method have to say.
    Tubbs fire lapping to reduce copper fouling. Rifle shoots well but copper fouling is big problem.
    Spend hours cleaning copper from bore after every shoot. Right now barrel is clean as new, is this the best time to think about perhaps fire lapping ???
    NO idon't want to hear about any Molly or Lubealux Or what ever they call it.
    Don't even think about it, Please im too old to hear about that (&&#@%.
    Thanks for your help.
    I have not been here in a while, but glad to be back.
    Furbearer

Fire lapping will generally cause accelerated erosion at the throat, as the lead or jacketed bullet will "shed" most of the lapping compound at that point. It works well if you plan to unbarrel the rifle, cut an inch or two from the chamber end, re-thread and rechamber after you have lapped the barrel. I've known a couple of the local high power shooters that have done just that, after they shot the throats out of their barrels by fire lapping. Or just buy a high quality barrel that doesn't require lapping.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Fire lapping can probably smooth the barrel and reduce copper fouling but it will also cause some wear in the throat. Although hand lapping is a lot more work, it's much safer. If you are going to fire lap, use cast bullets shot very slow (700/800 fps) and don't go any further than you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by furbearer View Post
    Would like to hear what others that have used this method have to say.
    Tubbs fire lapping to reduce copper fouling. Rifle shoots well but copper fouling is big problem.
    Spend hours cleaning copper from bore after every shoot. Right now barrel is clean as new, is this the best time to think about perhaps fire lapping ???
    NO idon't want to hear about any Molly or Lubealux Or what ever they call it.
    Don't even think about it, Please im too old to hear about that (&&#@%.
    Thanks for your help.
    I have not been here in a while, but glad to be back.
    Furbearer
    I've used Tubbs system on several rifles. It works. It does reduce copper fouling. Don't expect miracles, but for someone who can't hand lap (most of us), it does the trick. Yes, it does set back the throat (read the Tubbs literature, it explains exactly how much it sets it back), but it is designed to smooth the throat, as well as the rest of the barrel. I have found only moderate improvement in accuracy, but I have had improvement.

I used it on my Swede M96 and it drastically reduced the fouling. For $30.00 if you reload, it's worth the risk.

I'll most likely get some flak for this comment but I've done it - Cryogenic treatment will smooth the surface matrix of the barrel steel, I've had it done at least a dozen times and it does work - you can also give TETRA OIL treatment a try as it functionally smooths the bore too - I've also moly coated thousands upon thousands of bullets (and fired them with excellant results) although I've never moly'd a barrel ?

What do you use to get the copper out of your barrel? Wipeout? It really does work THAT good.

I used the Tubbs stuff and noticed that I had more of a jump to the lands and had to change the distance to the lands in the gun I was shooting at the time. I only did it to one gun and decided to not mess with the throat on any others. I used wipeout soon after that by coincidence and don't worry about copper fouling any more. I went so far as to try electrolysis on one of my guns. What a PIA that was.

Thanks for all the imput, seems tubbs will not be used in my rifles.
    If i had better shoulders at my age i would try hand lapping. But since i do not, i will try to figure out which product is best copper remover.
    Have for years used the sweet's 20 minute soak in my barrels, but need of shoulder replsacement"s has left me looking for better methods.
    Shoulders or not im not going to give up hunting=shooting.
    So i guess my next guestion would be, is there anyone that does quality barrel lapping on rifle barrels??
    That is not replacement barrels, but existing barrels??
    Thanks again.