Thread: bear parts...for sale...just hides???

Default bear parts...for sale...just hides???

so in parts of unit 16, we can shoot unlimited black bear after July 1st, 2007. The hides are sellable. What about the more sought-after part, the gall bladder? You can go online to Canadian sources and find 6' black bear skins, tanned, for between 900 and 1300 bucks. On the other hand, you could probably do pretty well with the gall bladder market overseas. Anyone know the legality of "other parts" being sellable? I'd never shoot any bear for a gall bladder...on the other hand, I wouldn't leave good money to be picked on by ravens either...

Default What can you do with the Bladder

I was just wondering what the gall bladder is good for?

When gall bladders were legal to sell, the most I ever got was 150.00 for black bear.
    The 18,000.00 thing is anti-hunter propoganda.
    The koreans I sold to, would dry the gall bladder, then cut it open, and scrape out the bile ( consitancy of dried syrup).
    They would mix it with ginseng and some other plants, making a marble sized ball. This they would roll in a single sheet of gold leaf paper. Thus, finished product.
    They ate this for stomach problems.
    They were always leary of pig galls, since you can not tell them from bear galls.

Quote Originally Posted by hellanback View Post
    ? I'd never shoot any bear for a gall bladder...on the other hand, I wouldn't leave good money to be picked on by ravens either...
    Leave it for the ravens , Unless your real good at not dropping the soap in the shower at the State Pen.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Several years ago, around 1996, the furbearer bio for Alaska, Steve Petersen, wrote an articly in The Nat. Trappers Assoc. mag about use of bear gall. He researched it very well.
    Bear gall, as well as gall from a few other species, has several medicinal uses. Mr. Petersen saved and dried the galls from bears he harvested. He ground the dried gall fluid into a powder, and on days when he overworked his aging muscles, he took a shot of whiskey with a teaspoon of powdered gall. Woke up fresh and ready for another work out.
    There was alot more to the article, but I don't remember it all. Suffice to say, gall has genuine valid uses. I believe the sale of bear gall is legal in Canada, and in a couple states in the USA.
    It is a shame the state of alaska views it's citizens as pillagers of our resources. Apparently, should the good folks of alaska be allowed to profit to any extent from the sale of certain animal parts..............WE WOULD KILL EVERY LAST ANIMAL IN THIS STATE! Or so many believe.
    I seriously doubt much else beside the skin of bears in 16B is legally saleable.

No reason to leave the gall in the field. NO LAW forbids possesion of gall from a bear that was legally harvested.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Maine is one of the states that allows the bears gallbladder to be legally sold. You can sell your gall from your bear that you legally harvest but you have to get a hide dealers license (buy/sell)to do so. The license is about $70 bucks. Today you can get about $10/ounce for a black bear gall (average gall is about 4 oz. So it really isn't worth it. The $3000-5000/gall I seen on TV specials is bogus.
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

wow! it cures what ails ya!

i guess i wont be leaving the gall bladder in the field. hehe

Default they are mainly used for

E.D. They are a afrodesiac, not sure on spelling. Have heard of guys up here getting $1500 but it is not legal. After I shot my first blackie my mom went back to the 48 and our old doctor offered her $10,000 for mine after seeing a picture of the bear. So not sure. He was dead serious though. I was told it was illegal to sell no matter what. Sounds like a call to ADF&G is needed.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Maineguide View Post
    Maine is one of the states that allows the bears gallbladder to be legally sold. You can sell your gall from your bear that you legally harvest but you have to get a hide dealers license (buy/sell)to do so. The license is about $70 bucks. Today you can get about $10/ounce for a black bear gall (average gall is about 4 oz)......
    So, what do folks think a blackbear would be worth if they were classified like furbearers?

Hide (green), skull (boiled), claws, gall bladder?

$250 - $500?

You left out the last line:

memories of a good hunt- priceless...

Are the gall bladders still good to use after they have been frozen?

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    You left out the last line:

memories of a good hunt- priceless...
    Plus a summers worth of jerky, burger, summer sausage, and bear dogs mmmmmmmm
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Are the gall bladders still good to use after they have been frozen?
    This is how they prefer to buy them. They like drying them, themselves.