Thread: Oil mix question...

Default Oil mix question...

I just picked up a 1975 Johnson 115hp with a jet. Looking it over, I don't think it is oil injected (30+ year old technology...). Anyway, since I didn't get the owners manual with it, does anyone know what the mix ratio should be? It has been many years since I have had to mix outboard gas.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I think an old '79 Johnson I had was 50:1. Just checked the 'net and it seems all OMC after 1964 were 50:1 TCW3

Thanks Roadkill...I wasn't have much luck finding info on the mix. I paid $300 for the entire package, so I figure if the engine isn't useable I should be able to get my money out of the jet unit and controls. Not sure if anything is wrong with it yet, the guy just said it was running rough.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I've used several smaller johnsons (80's vintage) that ran 100:1....so some after 64 did vary....there's gotta be a vintage mechanic somewhere you can contact that will know off the top of his head. A friend had one and always ran 50:1 despite the obvious sticker above the gas hookup and it just fouled a bit more and he had ran it that way for years....I guess more would be better than less if no real answer can be found.

My bet would be 50:1. We've got a 76 25hp and a 75 4hp Johnson on an old Valco skiff and both use a 50:1 ratio.

Default Earl Ratio

I have a 76 Evinrude 135 with a jet on my 20' Sprint...I bought it with no manuals. I found quite a few websies online with plenty of info. But the best one i found was www.seloconline.com. Check it out. The have info for any motor and you can sign up for a web subscription or you can get the manual. I run a 50:1 ratio. I found this information on the OMC website and the Seloc site as well.

FISH ON.......wooooohoooooo!