Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goat Hunting on Kodiak

Default Goat Hunting on Kodiak

here's a quick youtube video from our Kodiak Goat a couple weeks ago. Great weather, fantastic success. Hunted with Jeff Shannon and Matt Stone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm1qV...=UL7kgH3tSmmko

larry

Looks like you had another great year, Love the point blank Goat shot. How it look after the long roll?

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Great stuff Larry!! Looks like I just missed at Seahawk while I was down there!!! Was down there Oct 4th-Oct 16th....

Man, just when I was saddened there was only one eff-bomb in the kodiak video, I roll right into the PR 49. I am delightfully satisfied now.

cool, guys...yeah i figured if anyone would like the f-bombs it would ol' jimmy! LOL Happy not to disappoint!

Hey guys, i'm also happy to post some pics here on this forum, but i've put a lot of thought and pics with story on our forum at PV. Feel free to check it out and ask for questions or feedback here, too.

Jeff's goat got chewed up pretty bad on the face with the drop and roll treatment, but mine wasn't as bad because i wrapped the head in my Kryptek Koldo jacket for padding on the way down! Those goat have surprisingly thin skin on the face. The eyes take a beatin during most falls.

http://www.pristineventures.com/foru...toneandMe.html

larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post

Jeff's goat got chewed up pretty bad on the face with the drop and roll treatment, but mine wasn't as bad because i wrapped the head in my Kryptek Koldo jacket for padding on the way down! Those goat have surprisingly thin skin on the face. The eyes take a beatin during most falls.

http://www.pristineventures.com/foru...toneandMe.html

larry
    That sucks,, if he had taken one more step towards you, he would have rolled right into your lap.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    That sucks,, if he had taken one more step towards you, he would have rolled right into your lap.
    That's the same thing I was thinking. Such a great place to shoot one if you were able to anchor it. But, those are some tuff critters. A few weeks back I watched a goat through the spotting scope take at least a half hour to die....may have been even longer as I lost site of her after that. Hate to see them fall like that.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Checked PV, it rocks Larry! Nice job.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Both of our goats were right on the ridgetop when we shot them and they both decided to go down the nasty side, instead of the nice grassy side we were on. Mine rolled a couple hundred yards and then fell off several hundred feet of cliffs, but amazingly didn't break his horns. He did get some decent rock rash on his face though. Larry's billy went through some rough boulders, but got hung up before he fell too far. My billy was 8 1/2" and Larry's was over 9". Larry's billy was an old bugger with a long nose, huge scent glands, and leg hair that wouldn't quit. Great hunt, but we were sick of the jungle hiking when we left. I should have brought my bow. I ended up shooting my billy at 6 yards, and that was after we backed up so he wouldn't walk right over the top of us.

Jeff's Mtn Goat 2012.JPGLarry's Mtn Goat 2012.JPG

Some more pics...

58.JPG59.JPG

more...

73.JPG75.jpg

Larry lining up on his billy. You can faintly see it right on the horizon.

87.JPG96.JPG

LB can haul a serious pack.

97.jpg100.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Great stuff Larry!! Looks like I just missed at Seahawk while I was down there!!! Was down there Oct 4th-Oct 16th....
    We flew to Kodiak on the 5th and flew out with Sea Hawk on the 6th.

009.jpg24.JPG

Default Goat Hunting on Kodiak

I thought Larry was a light packer?? LOL
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I thought Larry was a light packer?? LOL

I think that he brought the kitchen sink by the looks of that pack. Love the video and thanks for sharing, congrats to you all !!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Nice job gentlemen! You were a great team it appears.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I think that he brought the kitchen sink by the looks of that pack. Love the video and thanks for sharing, congrats to you all !!
    That's the pack out, ladies. Go in light, come out heavy! He had two front quarters and the full body hide off of his goat. Had to have been over 100 pounds. I probably had 70ish pounds and my pack was nowhere near as heavy as Larry's.

91.JPG

Jeff and Larry...If you haven't tried them yet. 6 point instep crampons are a dream in the steep country. They are less than ideal for rocks but really grip that soil and soft surface stuff. You may have had some traction devices....Just saying because I care. I wore them in some wet snow this weekend and found they built up snowballs. I can imagine in really dry cold snow they would be more ideal.

What a sweet hunt you guys put together. Get-er-done!

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Jeff and Larry...If you haven't tried them yet. 6 point instep crampons are a dream in the steep country. They are less than ideal for rocks but really grip that soil and soft surface stuff. You may have had some traction devices....Just saying because I care. I wore them in some wet snow this weekend and found they built up snowballs. I can imagine in really dry cold snow they would be more ideal.

What a sweet hunt you guys put together. Get-er-done!
    Bighorse just had this conversation about crampons with another forum member who was hunting goats . I learned about them or should I say the lack of them the hard way years ago and now they are always in my pack...

Jeff and Larry what a awesome hunt for sure....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast