Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shot Placement

Default Shot Placement

After all the talk on the "One Shot Mentality' thread, I figured I'd open up a new can of worms, 'Shot Placement' - In my opinion, a behind the front shoulder - elbow, double lung, is the best shot (shots) for just about any situation, except for charging bears, then you really don't have much of a choice on placement. If I can't get that shot, I will wait until I can, or let the animal walk. If you ever draw a bison permit this is the shot that will take them down the best. And it has worked well on numerous moose for me also, I have 'never' had a moose walk or run off after a good double lung shot in all my years of hunting, and yes I've had to take a follow up shot at times, just like most everyone else. I prefer to damage as little meat as possible, and would not go for the double front shoulder shot because of that reason.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...eltabison.tips
    Shot Placement.jpg
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    After all the talk on the "One Shot Mentality' thread, I figured I'd open up a new can of worms, 'Shot Placement' - If you ever draw a bison permit this is the shot that will take them down the best. .
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...eltabison.tips
    Shot Placement.jpg

Well unless you hunter jams his gun after the first shot is less then perfect and the bull gets pissed and tries to run you over....then the best shot is just a smige next to his chin through the front quarter,body and out his hind quarter cause he drops in his tracks...

What I fail to understand is that hunters are obsessed about two things with their firearm.
    a.) that it weigh nearly nothing.
    b.) that is shoots sub 1.5" groups. (with many wanting 3/4" groups)

If the hunter can shoot this good, and wants a quick kill, plus save the meat............why not take the brain shot? Yes, I do know the answer to my question.

Side note: The original reason for the lung shot was flintlock/black power firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Well unless you hunter jams his gun after the first shot is less then perfect and the bull gets pissed and tries to run you over....then the best shot is just a smige next to his chin through the front quarter,body and out his hind quarter cause he drops in his tracks...
    Yeah, sounds like the charging bear scenario... those bison can be quite unpredictable also! Is that why your face looks like that?
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Yeah, sounds like the charging bear scenario... those bison can be quite unpredictable also! Is that why your face looks like that?

LOL yeah that the hunter in the pic...hate showin folks on the net without permission... Trust me I was shocked when that thing came at us. I was very complacent that day and didnt even have one in the pipe(chamber,dont want any confusion ) and my gun was laying next to me.. I was looking through binos while he was shooting and after the first shot and he came at us I was yelling to the hunter to shoot again then I looked over and his gun was jammed and bullets were laying on the ground... Learned a lot about bison that day...

Good thread here shot placement is always critical in hunting situations.. For me 99% of the time I shoot or have hunters shoot where you pointed out the only difference is with kids or inexperienced then I like a more central double lung, and there are also some situational shots like goats on cliffs or similar where I dont want them to take a step//

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    What I fail to understand is that hunters are obsessed about two things with their firearm.

If the hunter can shoot this good, and wants a quick kill, plus save the meat............why not take the brain shot? Yes, I do know the answer to my question.

Side note: The original reason for the lung shot was flintlock/black power firearms.

AGL in all your years of guiding how many hunters do you think were good as they claimed.. me the percentage has been very low.. many years ago and trips in the alder I stopped believing hunters in their shooting abilities... Some do still surprise me in how good they are though...

I will add, that in the case of a bison hunt they also recommend a back up shooter, I would assume one that is ready to shoot, in case of needed back up...nice to have one for bears also, never know when that ammo may get jammed.
    Nice bison BTW. Just kidding about the facial expression.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

seriously? Are you bored, and just looking to stir the pot?

the two or three pounds of meat loss coupled with the fact the double lung bleeds the animal out 10 times better than a head shot makes it a no brainier even at close range.

i say absolutely no to head shots. after seeing deer and elk with jaws hanging and heads mangled still alive i wouldn't hunt with someone who insisted on head shots just too small a margin for error. the smallest breeze or twig in the way just is too much to deal with. i'm all for the behind the shoulder shot way bigger target and way smaller chance for lost game. don't even really agree with neck shots, if you don't hit the spine just ends up blowing a hole in a lot of meat and having the animal run off. i just think the vitals are a safer bet. bench accuracy of 3/4" is not anything like shooting in the field. i'm sure my 80 yr old grandmother could shoot well with a lead sled and a bench. i've seen good bench shooter that can't hit crap out hunting. every hunter has the right to aim for what they want but i think some shots are best left untaken. i

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    i say absolutely no to head shots. after seeing deer and elk with jaws hanging and heads mangled still alive i wouldn't hunt with someone who insisted on head shots just too small a margin for error. the smallest breeze or twig in the way just is too much to deal with. i'm all for the behind the shoulder shot way bigger target and way smaller chance for lost game. don't even really agree with neck shots, if you don't hit the spine just ends up blowing a hole in a lot of meat and having the animal run off. i just think the vitals are a safer bet. bench accuracy of 3/4" is not anything like shooting in the field. i'm sure my 80 yr old grandmother could shoot well with a lead sled and a bench. i've seen good bench shooter that can't hit crap out hunting. every hunter has the right to aim for what they want but i think some shots are best left untaken. i
    yea head and neck shots do one of two things.. drop the animal like a rock.. or leave it bleeding and walking away after a brief fall to the ground.

Just makes no sense.. you can remove the bloodshot from a lung shot with a pen knife.. it bleeds out, and the animal dies....every time.

Sometimes I hate chiming in on these posts because I sound like a preacher. But:

It is the responsibility of each and every hunter to know the species that they are hunting and the anatomy of each animal so that they can make a clean and effective harvest on the animal. Each species is slightly different, hogs, bears, deer, moose. All slightly different. African game even more so. If you study the anatomy then you will lean where to most effectively aim in order to accomplish a clean harvest.

With that said: My shot placement is usually toward the center of, bottom third of the lungs. If I hit where I aim, dead animal. If I am high a little, dead animal. A little low, bottom of lung or heart. Too far forward, shoulders. Too far back, hopefully liver.

Beyond that we hope for the best. But you never know. Bumped scope, wrong range estimation, animal moves, wind is lowing out there. Too many variables. But if we plan we can be more effect at what we are trying to do. Next time out at the range, try aiming at one of these.

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/...t.htm#RamBlack BearCaribou

Scroll down a bit to see.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I have a friend (Little Eric) who he and his sons have droped 36+ bull moose with one head shot from a 5.56 NATO AR-15, they shoot them right at the base of the antler.

I admit I'm a bad shot.. I have a old Remington 742 in a 06... Yrs ago I found some 20rounds mags for it, I couldn't use them in the lower 48 due to mag restrictions while hunting. Come to ak no such thing, well I have two of these mags loaded with 180 gr bronze points, picked these up yrs ago for 5 bucks a box. Anyhow when I start shooting it sounds like BAR I have only needed to do a mag change 3-4 times, since I been in ak. I might need a new rifle the barrel is about shot out... I burned my hand accidently touching the barrel after dumping 35 rds I got the moose...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I admit I'm a bad shot.. I have a old Remington 742 in a 06... Yrs ago I found some 20rounds mags for it, I couldn't use them in the lower 48 due to mag restrictions while hunting. Come to ak no such thing, well I have two of these mags loaded with 180 gr bronze points, picked these up yrs ago for 5 bucks a box. Anyhow when I start shooting it sounds like BAR I have only needed to do a mag change 3-4 times, since I been in ak. I might need a new rifle the barrel is about shot out... I burned my hand accidently touching the barrel after dumping 35 rds I got the moose...
    You may be a bad shot, but at least you're tenacious.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I burned my hand accidently touching the barrel after dumping 35 rds I got the moose...
    You one oh them guys what goes fish'n wit dynamite too?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    i say absolutely no to head shots.
    If that's how you feel then that is what's good for you. Although I will not insist on one, and WILL usually shoot for the boiler room, but when I have a steady rest, the game isn't moving, and ALL THINGS ARE RIGHT, then sometimes I will try and put one behind the ear. So far it's worked out fine for me.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

gentlemen, if i've learned anything about hunting in my years...head shots don't add up to anything good. If you smoke 'em with one clean shot the animal drops where it stood...ending the life and PREVENTING tissue blood loss. This makes for bloody meat that's hard to drain out if you can;t hang it for days, and even then the meat doesn't taste as good as if a double lunger had been placed appropriately.

If you don't hit the brain or spinal cord on the first shot, you've got a wounded and suffering animal that can easily get up and walk away in grave pain and confusion.

The first head shot i made on a big game animal was sheep at 20 yards. Missed the brain and the animal was knocked cold, OUT. Just when i was taking a photo with it, that ram awoke and gave me a thrashing i'll never forget. had to fight to keep the animal off its feet while it gave me a thrashing to cry about. Ended with a 7 minute hand-to-hoof combat and my strangling it to death with my bare strength, whildst it kicked and thrashed and beat the living tar out of my arse like a drunk angry fighter. My back was so cut up by the thrashing on the scree shale that i still bear the scars today. True story, and one that taught me NEVER to wish that experience on my worst foe. It humbled and pained me greatly.

The second was a bedded caribou, that took a 300 round to the face instead of its neck (a mere 2" difference in shot placement) and required a second shot to the lungs seconds later to finish it respectfully. I felt terrible that even seconds of severe pain was placed on that animal by my poor judgement.

egos have no place behind the trigger, In my humble opinion. Lung shot provide better tasting meat and game that is easier and more effectively cared for in the field.

anyway, for what its worth. this photo was taken about 2 weeks after the beating. The gouges don't show as deeply as they actually were.

sheep beating.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    You one oh them guys what goes fish'n wit dynamite too?
    I thought everyone fished like that? Much faster than a fish wheel or gill net.

Larry you are the only person I have ever heard of that went hand to hoof with a ram, congrats on coming out on the winning end of that argument!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    gentlemen, if i've learned anything about hunting in my years...head shots don't add up to anything good. If you smoke 'em with one clean shot the animal drops where it stood...ending the life and PREVENTING tissue blood loss. This makes for bloody meat that's hard to drain out if you can;t hang it for days, and even then the meat doesn't taste as good as if a double lunger had been placed appropriately.

If you don't hit the brain or spinal cord on the first shot, you've got a wounded and suffering animal that can easily get up and walk away in grave pain and confusion.

The first head shot i made on a big game animal was sheep at 20 yards. Missed the brain and the animal was knocked cold, OUT. Just when i was taking a photo with it, that ram awoke and gave me a thrashing i'll never forget. had to fight to keep the animal off its feet while it gave me a thrashing to cry about. Ended with a 7 minute hand-to-hoof combat and my strangling it to death with my bare strength, whildst it kicked and thrashed and beat the living tar out of my arse like a drunk angry fighter. My back was so cut up by the thrashing on the scree shale that i still bear the scars today. True story, and one that taught me NEVER to wish that experience on my worst foe. It humbled and pained me greatly.

The second was a bedded caribou, that took a 300 round to the face instead of its neck (a mere 2" difference in shot placement) and required a second shot to the lungs seconds later to finish it respectfully. I felt terrible that even seconds of severe pain was placed on that animal by my poor judgement.

egos have no place behind the trigger, In my humble opinion. Lung shot provide better tasting meat and game that is easier and more effectively cared for in the field.

anyway, for what its worth. this photo was taken about 2 weeks after the beating. The gouges don't show as deeply as they actually were.

sheep beating.jpg
    Man oh man Larry that sounds like one hell of a brawl....any one video it for ya.... good for you to walk away..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast