Thread: Taku River

Default Taku River

Anyone have any local knowledge about how to get up and around in the Taku? Looking to get a jet boat (anyone know of any deals in Juneau?) and would love to start doing some fishing up the river but I have very little knowledge about the place. Looking for do's and dont's in the river, places to camp, places to fish, etc. Would really like some ride along advice if and when I get a jet boat. If you have anything for me, I would really appreciate it.
    Also, looking for the same kinda info on the rivers up Berners Bay. I want to fish Antler Lake for grayling but have heard it's kinda sketchy getting up there even with a jet boat.

Thanks
    Erich

I'll split gas! I used to be a river guide so I'm ok at jet boating I guess
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

AKPM,

I'll let you know when I get a boat. Definitly would be a great help with any experience you have. I used to run up Petersburg Creek and the Stikine a little ways with a 14' SeaArk, but I hear the Taku is a little more complex.

If only I had the money for a boat I'd be trying to get into canada a bit more, I bet theres cool stuff up there
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

epw-

eMail me. I've got a lead on a boat for you.... don't know what your budget is, etc. but I was just talking to a friend today with a "spare" boat in great shape.

I'll forward your eMail.

-Case

PS: both you and AKPM drop me a note with your schedule for the next week or two. It's not river boating, but I still want to get the Can Can up past Jaw Pt. and look for some sturgeon.
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

IF you go up past Jaw Pt., don't rely on the charts! The glacier has dumped a heck-of-alot of silt since the maps were made (and advanced). Stick to the other side and watch your depth. I've only been up as far as Turner Creek, so I don't know how it is past there. However, the Canadians do send jetboat tenders down the river to sell downtown when the sockeye are running.

Speaking of boats...I have a 16' Lund w/ a 40 evinrude I need to sell. Center console, 12 gallon tank, nice trailer, fish finder, VHF, runs good. $1500 firm. PM me, or give a call 789-0084 if you wanna check it out.

Default cool

Hey I just moved here, and I brought with me my brand new never been used 18 ft tracker with a 90/65 horse jet. I would love to go explore the Taku. What do you fish for up there? I have no experience really driving this thing yet so some experience would be welcome.

Lungshot,

I am not very experienced with jet boats either (I have driven them a bit) but if you ever need a rider, I am available. I can pull a boat fairly well and have no issues walking through the muck for a while. Do you have a winch on that thing yet?
    About fishing up the Taku, I have heard from reliable sources that some of the best trout/salmon stream fishing in the area is up the Taku. Somewhere named Fish Creek? (not the same as the creek on Douglas and may even just be a local name) I have heard it's primarily a fly in spot (no helos due to a eagles nest in the area) but a jet boat can make it up there. ALSO, there is an access to Turner Lake via Turner Creek just past Jaw Point that I hear you NEED a jet boat to get to. The trail from the beach to the lake (trophy cutts and Kokanee) is a little less than a mile long and there is a forest service cabin at the end of it (West Turner Lake cabin). As far as other fishing spots, I dont know, but i am SURE there are plenty of them and it seems they do not get fished very often.
    In my mind, the Taku and Berners Bay Rivers sound like a lot of fun to explore and some good, rarely fished areas could be found fairly easliy. Just pick your days carefully, I have seen the Taku (and Berners Bay) kick up to 10'+ in a matter of hours and it can be one of the most serious waterways around here really quick.
    Erich