Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you shoot and why?

Default What do you shoot and why?

I'm always interested in what gear others use.........plus I'm planning on a new scattergun so I just wanna talk/read about them

so what do you shoot and why? What do you like about it, not like about it, etc? Pics with or without ducks and geese are encouraged

870 cause I won it at du last year

That's not a bad choice or reason, I wouldn't mind winning something tomorrow night

I shot an 870 for YEARS, it was a darn good gun. I still use it from time to time. I also carry an 870 for work. I've owned about 6 or 7 over the years, still have 4 of them. I've hunted with 1100's, 1187's, and a Versamax. This year I bought a Winchester Sx3, and absolutely love it! You would have a hard time prying that thing out of my cold dead hands. My least favorite was the versamax. Search my posts to see pics of piles of dead birds, all fallen to an Sx3 this year..

SBE1 tried and true

Benelli Super Black Eagle II. Its extremely durable, never jams or fails to fire, its simple to disassemble and clean(allowing me to clean it every time after use), and it handles any shell I choose to put through it. It has been a performer for the four years I have owned it. For about two weeks last season I thought I had a problem with it as it was not going boom at certain times... Turned out that I had a shell with a bad primer that I failed to notice which was always finding its way back into my shell bag. It wasn't until I was wiping down the brass bases of my shotshells that I noticed one shell had a depression from the firing pin. It was an ah ha moment to be sure and I felt bad for blaming by favorite Benelli. Kinda like yelling at the dog for making a mess and finding out that it was the kiddos. It is pricey to be sure, but I place great value on durability, reliability, and functionality and I'll probably be giving it to my son when he's old enough to handle it.

My .02,

dodger
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

I have been shooting a Winchester super XII for about six years now, absolutely the best feeling duck gun I have shouldered, and it feeds ANYTHING you can stuff into it reliably.
    When I bought this gun I was fighting with my Rem 1100, here on Kodiak once it gets to the mid/late season it would freeze up on me every time out. A single shot semi auto gets old quick.
    I also hunted an old Churchill semi auto that was a POS, and a couple 870s over the years. If you like a pump you cant go wrong with an 870.

It all comes down to personal preference, once you shoulder a few new guns one will feel best.

Love that super x, it has been great and just feels right.

early in the season Spanish 20GA DB 3". After it gets later I will break out the Nova or Browning 12Ga.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Beretta XTREMA2 with kickoff and here's why:

http://youtu.be/NXbjdyjIaxk

ws expecting to see a triple with it on greenheads

Quote Originally Posted by agoyne View Post
    Beretta XTREMA2 with kickoff and here's why:

http://youtu.be/NXbjdyjIaxk
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

The only triple I've got so far is on teal. I just ordered the extended magazine tube and then it will hold 10. That is going to be fun!

The only triple I've got so far is on teal. I just ordered the extended magazine tube and then it will hold 10. That is going to be fun!
    I finally got a triple on mallards this season, two drakes and a hen. They were passing when i got them to. And I shoot an 870 with briley duck passing M and speed shok 1 1/4oz of #4 for 11.99 a box.

I use a Browning Citori. I hunt a lot and in other states. My gun has never failed, but the guys I hunt with (using pumps and autos) are always having problems. The third shot is a hope and a prayer. Shells are expensive. I say save the third shell until you can buy a quality over and under.
    Just my opinion.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Fully coated Benelli Super Nova, Rust proof! Never fails or jams, recoil control makes full house 3 1/2s feel like the 20's fired out of Duckhunter01's side by side. Over sized trigger guard that fits gloves. Can shoot the thing all day, wet, dry, muddy or what ever, and it keeps going.

Nice guys.........I need to handle a Berretta, but so far I've been leaning towards a Benelli M2 field. I don't have any desire for 3.5" Shells so not sure if it makes sense to spend more for a SBEII

The third shot is a hope and a prayer. Shells are expensive. I say save the third shell until you can buy a quality over and under.
    I really have always wanted a nice over under, just have not hunted one down yet. You are definitely right on the money with that third shot, and for some reason we usually can not resist letting that one fly. I definitely go through the shells with the autoloader.

ive shot alot of diferent guns over time im thinking of getiing my first auto shotgun for next year well first for waterfowl but as pumps go for the price rem 887 in waterfowl is what i use in love had some benelli owners wanna try it out one time so i sat and swapped guns on there decoys for bout 2 hours they couldnt beleive what they paid for there benellis plus it weighs nothing sportsmans had a 26 in barrel in black for 299 when i picked up my last gun so tempting but!!! reviews go either way on it but dont they all its kinda personal opinion. with not wanting a 3 1/2 capable gun ur missing out on what ive found first cut ur shells open for some reason the 3 1/2's always have way better quality bb's plus way more and way more powder talk about a wall of bb's when u get the right pattern and its a slightly dif powder burns way faster they pack more period thats what they were made for waterfowl

Mossberg 500, for what I paid for it, I never feel bad dropping it in the mud/grass/water/boat bottom... Its also nice pulling the long barrel off after duck season and putting the short one on for the rest of the winter (bedside gun) and summer (bear gun). That gun ends up going with me more places than any other gun I own!

I do miss the attention at the gun club the antique 20ga. it replaced used to get me!

im sure u dont intend on the 10 mag for waterfowl?

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    with not wanting a 3 1/2 capable gun ur missing out on what ive found first cut ur shells open for some reason the 3 1/2's always have way better quality bb's plus way more and way more powder talk about a wall of bb's when u get the right pattern and its a slightly dif powder burns way faster they pack more period thats what they were made for waterfowl
    I hear what you're saying, but I've never had a problem getting it done with 3". So for more recoil, more expensive guns and ammo, and still dead ducks I just don't see the need. But I'm definitely not saying there isn't a place for them, just doesn't really interest me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast