Thread: bait pile question

Default bait pile question

What is the best way to trap a bait pile? Thanks to Rick i was able to get my hands on a moose. I want to use it for a bait pile in November I am going to store the moose in 55 gallon drums until the season starts. I have the option to put it in 2-3 barrels. My Idea was to use one barrel and wait a few days to see where the animals come in. Then I was going to set snares on the trails coming in. When the bait is all eaten up i was going to bring in the other barrel. Does this sound like a good plan or not? Also How far away and apart should my traps be from the pile?

P.s i have been looking for a trapping buddy.

Oh another question should i place bait pile in a field or in a wooded area?

Place in a heavily wooded area.. Willows is ideal. I set snares when I drop the bait, then add snares accordingly.

Never take snares out just add them. I've had piles with 50 snares.

and try and drop your bait pile in a spot that already has some obvious critter trails going to it. try and keep snares at least 15 yards from the pile itself. you want them to hit the snare when there moving. typicaly dog critters slow down there speed the closer they get to where there going so they can investigate and such...
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

are you looking for a water critter trapping buddy?
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Up and movin, 2:45 AM. Let's go drop a few big baits.

I am looking for any type of partner to catch some fur. But thanks guys for your responses on the bait pile. Now i guess it is the Location i have to focus on. Since location is key i am going to have my hands full. Oh i was able to get the moose into 2 barrels. Do you guys think it is a good idea to drop one until it is out then drop the other?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Re: bait pile question

Dont forget your permit from adfg to move it and use as bait..

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Dont forget your permit from adfg to move it and use as bait..

+1............your expected to post a sign at the bait that it is legal to use that meat.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Re: bait pile question

There is a diffrence between using winter killa and setting on the.. Vs. Moving that kill
    .or any other to a location to be used as bait

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I already have my permits. Thanks for the heads up though guys.