Thread: what Kershaw pocket knife?

Default what Kershaw pocket knife?

I've been using Gerber pocket knives for the last 5 or 6 years and they served well when new, but they just don't hold an edge for very long anymore. I really like the look and feel of the Kershaw knives, but having a hard time deciding on which one.

I like the size of the "Leek" but I don't care for the slick handle or the straight blade. Anybody have any insight or experience with that straight blade that you care to comment on?

I like the look and feel of the "Scallion" but I would like something a little larger.

I haven't been able to find, but like the look of the "Vapor" and "Blur".

Next question is on what blade type you prefer. I have never owned a serated blade or a combo serrated/plain edge. What is your preferrence and experience. What knife would you recommend?

I've got a Scallion and a Whirlwind. If you want the flat profile - I'd get the Leek. The Chive is way too small (had one for a day) and the Scallion is still a bit small. The semi-serrated Leek would be a good one - plus it has a slider that helps keep the blade from opening in your pocket.

I have the straight edge Whirlwind - and would go back with a semi-serrated edge of that size or one of their other models (mine was a gift so the price was right).

I like the Ken Onion speed-safe assisted opening models. Most of the other major knife makers are making similar assisted opening models. For the money though - Kershaw does pretty good. The new Cyclones look cool - I like the ones with the chisel point - like the Tanto.

Hope this helps

Default Spyderco?

BuckNRut you might want to also look at some Spyderco pocket knives. I love mine and it seems to hold an edge well. Just my 2 cents.

Default kershaw knives

I have the Kershaw blackout knife...model # 1550...works great for me. It holds an edge real well also

Quote Originally Posted by blakdimnd View Post
    ...I like the Ken Onion speed-safe assisted opening models...The new Cyclones look cool - I like the ones with the chisel point - like the Tanto.
    Ken Onion speed-safe and their blades is why Kershaw appeals to me. I like the look of Cyclone. Not sure if I would like the Tanto??? I think I will go with the serrated/plain edge. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by buckmark View Post
    BuckNRut you might want to also look at some Spyderco pocket knives. I love mine and it seems to hold an edge well. Just my 2 cents.
    I have looked at them a little online. Do they have an assisted opening mechanism like the kershaw knives? They have some attractive models otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by TnRuss View Post
    I have the Kershaw blackout knife...model # 1550...works great for me. It holds an edge real well also
    Russ, what's the handle like on the Blackout? Slippery when wet? How durable?

Thanks for your input guys. I'll keep looking, but I am narrowing down my search.

For concealed protection I have carried a leek it is more dagger than utility knife. If you are right handed you can reverse the clip and carry it point down clipped inside your pocket. you can use your thumb to grip the knife and slide it out while triggering the back of the blade with your forfinger as soon as it clears the top of you pocket and you are ready to work. Alot of females carry those over here, you can imagine why... In fact mine is on loan to a girl at my hospital now. I have a blackout that has kept an edge very well and was my primary knife untill I got issued my BenchMade Auto-Stryker. For hunting (not as a skinner) and general use I would go with the blackout with the smooth blade. I would go serrated for an emergency knife for things like cutting seat belts etc. My blackout has held up well it has a great clip that does not get bent up and allow it to slip off a belt and I have never had problems with the handle getting slippery. I have not used it soaking wet that I can recall however when I am working outside dripping sweat It still grips fine. I handled alot of the kershaw knives before making my decision and I am happy with my Blackout for work and Leek for concealed defense, but I wouldn't trade my Auto Stryker for 4 of each!!!

one additional thing I don't care for the Blur Tanto blade. They are a pain to sharpen while keeping the drop point shape. I prefer a smooth rounded blade that is natural for sharpening and cutting. The blur is more of a tactical knife and not realy that suited for repeated sharpening.

Default Don't think so

I don't think Spyderco makes any assisted opening knives. I am going off of when I was looking at them 3 years ago, so they may now. The one I have has the hole through the blade and it makes it very easy to open with one hand though. I went with the plastic handled one, it seemed that it would not be as slippery as the stainless handle if it was wet.

The blackout has a good grip, not slippery, the blade opens really slick when you need it to, doesn't pop open accidentally like some knives can, and closes easily one-handed. It holds an edge pretty well and is not terrible to sharpen. It's a good, tough knife for everyday knife stuff. Would certainly work for most any hunting knife task, although it wouldn't be my first choice for that. It's a full-size knife, so you know you have it on you, but the clip makes it pretty easy to carry and very easy to access.

I don't care overly for any of the "onion" named knives (the blackout is a Ken Onion design, it just doesn't have an onion sounding name ). Nothing wrong with any of them, and they do have a really slim profile, just not my style I guess.

Default benchmade

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am happy with my Blackout for work and Leek for concealed defense, but I wouldn't trade my Auto Stryker for 4 of each!!!
    I agree with you LuJon. Benchmade is, in my opinion, the only way to go. I have an auto stryker, and it is the only pocket knife i will ever carry again. Its compact, super strong and in a pinch/crisis i can whip that thing out push a button and stick just about anything. Its also a great "all around" knife. But, Benchmade's are pricey... well worth the money, but pricey. Kershaw does make great knives, and these guys have all made great reccomendations.
    Women never look so well as when one comes in wet and dirty from hunting