Thread: Lil' Joe Joins the team

Default Lil' Joe Joins the team

Lil' Joe arrived last week. We got acquainted over a few chukar then went to the mountains for ptarmigan. He wasnt impressed with the chukar but did okay.

He hunted and handled very well. He made quartering casts, covered objectives and took advantage of the wind. He checked in just enough. I never had to say word one to him. It was late afternoon before we actually found birds and he was the one to find them. He bumped a pair of ptarmigan and that fired him up. He bumped and chased a couple single and then after we made a big loop we came back to the original pair. He bumped them again. Pie was able to pick up one of the singles with a sight point and Joe was nearby to "assist" with the retrieve. He had been pointing and retrieving Huns and pheasant in Montana. I am not disappointed even though he bumped and chased. He really didnt chase far before he came back to investigate the point of contact. He is only 15 months old and had only been in state for three days. He will pick it up if I can get him into wild birds. He will be a fun little project and I look forward to time with him.
    He is the one on the left....

PS his cleft pallette is almost completely closed and does not affect him in any significant way.
    Hope the picture posts correctly.

Burke,

Not sure if I recall how you came to have this little guy, but good for you and Joe! I'll bet he's going to love his new life here in Alaska. That's quite the hunting rig you have there!

Best of luck with Joe.

Jim

good looking threesome specially the one on the far right.

Jim
    He was kind of an accident. I was in montana hunting last october with tana of true grits brits and she had joe. He was born with cleft pallette. She nused him until they could diagnose the problem then he hAd multiple surgerys to correct it. They waited until he reached one year to do final surgery because he kept growing and stretching the gap. Tana did not want to breed or sell him to just anyone due to all the efforts. She asked if i would take him. For some reaso i said yes and now he is here and i know why i said yes.... Even though i was due another retriever

Savageak
    I take it you are owned by or are a fan of the griff... True?

Jim i did upgrade the machine this summer so i could fit the hounds...n example of What we will do and or spend for our dogs!
    :-)

Good for you to help out Joe. I'm sure he will repay you many times over for your kindness, and for taking him hunting.

Best of luck to both of you.

Jim

That's a good-looking herd of pups. Good luck this season!
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Good looking bunch of hunting buddies

am wanting to be owned by a griff,can't find one in alaska yet

Somehow deleted my own picture...reposting it

Hi Burke,

Any luck getting out lately? Its been brutal up north and I am loving the warm temps here for a few days. How is the new pup working out?
    Have a great Holiday!
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

Thanks for asking Alaskan Woodsman...we have had our issues with weather too. Deep cold, snow and a lot of high high winds.

I got out yesterday in marginal snow conditions, but I had to try....not enough snow to keep the dogs from running, but just enough to make it laborious for dogs, some crusted snow, some soft, some grainy, some ice. I couldn't decide whether to keep snowshoes on or take them off. I was a little worried about the dogs hurting joints and/or muscles. As it turns out it was me who needed recovery time...I took a spill and smacked my knee and elbow on the icy trail. At least it was near the end and on the way out.

I have not been finding many birds this year. Lil' Joe is turning the corner and becoming a fine adolescent male dog....hunting hard and testing the limits :-) He bumps and chases more birds than he points. It is frustrating but typical of his age. He is pointing, but isn't holding them like he did in Montana before coming to Alaska. He needs more bird contacts, and yard work.
    I am pleased with him and I am sure he will be a good dog. We need to work together to get over this adolescent stage.

I will add a couple pictures when I get them off the camera....

Hi Burke,

I just got back up to Fairbanks. I'm encouraged by your words and evaluation of Little Joe because I have had the same problem with my little French Brit, Gal. Not enough wild bird contacts. We had a great time hunting with a friend of mine up here and Gal got on a spruce grouse that she pointed stayed steady to flush and shot..moved and then re-whoed at the fall w/flapping. But that one instance and some flushing of sharptail grouse was all that really transpired this year.

Yesterday, Gal and I got in a good hike, finally, and she was able to sniff around for a good hour and a half. Fun stuff for me too, at weeks of below -20F, I needed the excercise...the right kind.
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!