Thread: Which Boat Seats To Buy?

Default Which Boat Seats To Buy?

I am looking to add three seats to my boat with stands. I am thinking of something basic that swivles with 13-18" risers, ro so. I don't need triple lubed 16 bering adjustable stands with super plush ultra absordant seats.

Here's what I am thinking. Green plastic molded folding seats with swivel stands. The molded seats have a butt pad, back pad, and are $30 ea. The stands are $12 and 13" tall I believe. A 13" tall stand with seat was almost too short for me but I wouldnt be sitting in them anyways. Has anyone ever used these types of seats, and how well did they hold up? Also any suggestions on stands?

Also how should I secure stands to the plywood in the boat? Lag screws? Bolts? Bolts will be a pain but if it holds better I might just put in the extra time.

WG,
    It might help to post a pic if your boat so we can see what you are looking at. Also, what is your primary purpose? Lake, river etc....

Mike

Ok you twisted my arm. Someone on this forum might find this boat oddly familiar. I will be using it mainly on rivers and creeks.

Where I would like to mount the seats. You can see where the prior stands were mounted.

The boat

I'd use a flush mount pedestal base with "plug-in" style pedestals, so you can take the seats out if you need the room for something else. Take the plywood out and reinforce it with 2x4s or more 3/4" (2 layers) plywood on the bottom side--make sure the reinforcement isn't too thick or in the wrong place to keep it from sitting level on the ribs, then just use lag bolts to secure the bases trhough the plywood and well into the reinforcements.

If it were me and I wasn't concerned with ever removing them I would bolt through the plywood using fender washers on the bottom side to help prevent the bolts from pulling through the wood.

WG,

Nice looking boat ya got there!

Don't mount the seats as far forward as they were originally, it is too much weight in the bow with adults up there. The original setup was the two seats side by side in the forward position. I then took them out and mounted only one in the middle which worked the best. With only one seat up front it gave more room for gear as well.

For hunting season I took out the front seat for the extra room and less weight. This led to using the folding camp chairs which worked the best because you can take the chairs onto the beach!

Mounting the seats I used stainless carriage bolts from underneath to hold the pedestals and it worked just fine.

Good luck and show us pics of the finished product. (then lets go try it out!)
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default there are two kinds

of bases. one you cut a hole in the plywood in your case, but need enough room under your deck, may not be enough room if flat bottom. then the other is flat mounted but bells up more, believe they are called bell bases. then you have the choice of 1 3/4", not sure, then 2" and 2 3/8". i bought the 2 3/8" ones from cabelas. pretty sturdy and really happy with them. I bought two with 13" pedistals and two shock ones. Plastic seats with removable cushions, can remove when not need to keep dry even when you stop to camp, I use mine as pillos. The larger the tubes the sturdier. good luck and spend the extra $ for nice stuff. I use mine in the saltwater and going on fourth season and have been in some ruff stuff and no failures. the warnings even say not to use over 5mph. so dissregard that.

as far as mounting if you can get some scrap aluminum and screw down first then bolt through everything you will be happy. I did this with my boat and i screwed to aluminum joists.

They make seat mounts that clamp onto the bench seat you have in there. Just a couple wing nuts for taking them in and out. Easy to remove when you don't have the extra bodies along.

It looks like I have a lot to think about. Good thing I didn't pick up any stands or seats today. I had high hopes of mounting two seats minimum too. Don't know which direction I will take now.

(then lets go try it out!)
    I don't know. This whole open seat program has me kind of leary. I might be accused of guiding or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I don't know. This whole open seat program has me kind of leary. I might be accused of guiding or something.
    I can take you without fear. After all, you have your own boat!!

What HP is your motor?

Mike

Just a little joke pulled over from the open seat thread in the fishing section. The outboard is a 40 hp Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I can take you without fear. After all, you have your own boat!!

What HP is your motor?

Mike

Has anyone ever used these to mount their seats?

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Has anyone ever used these to mount their seats?

My concern would be, what happens to the seat and the person if you hit something?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/