Thread: New Bow for son, recommendations

Default New Bow for son, recommendations

My 11-year old son has been hunting grouse in our area for 2 years now, and he has decided he wants to buy a new compound bow, (he is currently shooting a 28-lb recurve). We went to town and looked at compound bows suitable for youth at 2 local stores. Both offered bows that had adjustable draw lengths and draw weights. 2 emerged as apparently viable options: the Barnett Vortex and the Diamond Cutting Edge. The DCE seemed to have more room to grow, and a better arrow rest (whisker biscuit). Also, it was on sale, and with a loan from Dad, affordable. The BV was affordable as well. My son wants to buy locally if possible. He has a 22" draw length, and was able to pull a DCE set at 35lbs smoothly. Dad only has experience with recurves. Son has heart set on compound. Any thoughts?
    --By the way, his first game animal ever was a Ruff he drilled neatly through the noggin.

Take a serious look at the Mission Craze by Matthews, bow is around $300 and will grow with your son. Adjustable from 15lbs to 70lbs and draw from 19 to 30 inches. I got it for my 10 yr old and he loves it! Great bow that will last! Good luck in your search its awesome getting them started at an early age and watching them grow!

All of the manufacturers carry youth style bows now. Started all 4 of my kids with micro midas 2's from Browning. The 2 top now IMOP are the Mathew's and Hoyt'S. Make sure when you decide that you have the dealer show you how to adjust. At that age the kids sprout and go up in draw length quick. I would buy the arrows at least 2 inches longer than needed so that they can grow into the arrows. You can work the spine by changing the head weight. Also at that size I did not notice much difference if they where over spined a little.

If you are looking for a lighter bow than the ones mentioned above look at the Bear Apprentice. I am a diehard Mathews shooter, but I would fully reccomend this bow. My son (11 years old) started shooting one of them 2 years ago (he liked it better than all of the others we looked at because it was compact and light) and loves it. He passed the IBEP bowhunter certification with it last year and is still going strong. It goes up to 60lbs and 27' draw length.
    Fin - N - Tonic

most all bow companies have finally seen the light when it comes to youth boys and realized parents do not want to shell out 300 bucks for a bow that will last a year or two. You dont have to look far to find a bow that will go from 22" draw all the way in some cases to 30" draw.. bottom line is you can but your son a bow that will actually grow with him and be a lasting investment capable of going from grouse to moose as time goes by.. I picked a mathews mission for my 12yo girl for the adjustment factor but quite simply cause they have lime green zebra camo and apparently that rocks with a little girl.. Not sure where you are but if you are in the Anchorage area go to full curl archery at huffman and old seward and see Dave or Joni and tell them Bear from the forum sent ya.. They are very good with kids stuff and adults too. If you are in the Wasilla area and want to check out a mision craze feel free to pm me I can usually ansnswer most archery questions..
    Dave

Thank you all for the prompt advice. The name Matthews keeps coming up, so I'll check into that. Fairbanks is the closest big city to us. I've got a little time as he is busy earning and saving his $, at least for a while. Getting a good bow that will grow with him to young adult is definately the idea here. He's down to 1 arrow, and he really surprised me when he said he wanted to save for a new bow rather than for a dozen new arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by 30/06 View Post
    Thank you all for the prompt advice. The name Matthews keeps coming up, so I'll check into that. Fairbanks is the closest big city to us. I've got a little time as he is busy earning and saving his $, at least for a while. Getting a good bow that will grow with him to young adult is definately the idea here. He's down to 1 arrow, and he really surprised me when he said he wanted to save for a new bow rather than for a dozen new arrows.
    Don't know the shops up that way but I believe Andrew Wilson opened one up that way. He knows archery pretty well so I am sure he can hook you up. And as I said feel free to always ask. Oh and btw what a great thing for your boy to get that ruff I am sure he will never forget that one. I still remember shooting my bunny with a little red bear recurve many years ago
    Dave

Go talk with Andrew at Precision archery in Fairbanks, he is an expert shooter and really knows his stuff. He will be able to match your boy up with the right setup. Stay away from the big box stores like Sportsmans if possible, many of their archery counter workers have less experience than you do.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

AKMUD, Maybe the stores in Wasilla have bad archery guys but the Fairbanks SW guys are as knowledgeable or better than any of the small time stores in Fairbanks. From what I have been hearing, certain small stores are robbing Peter to pay Paul and their customers are really getting irked.

Possibly, I have personally seen folks having trouble with their new bow from SW that was "tuned" and "set up" at the store by their experts and turned out the sight was put on backward (left handed sight on a right handed bow...). Personally I wouldn't trust them for anything important since next week their archery expert may have just been shuffled over from the fishing section. If you know what you want and simply need to go in and grab it off the shelf, then by all means, they have good prices occasionally. If you are new to or have been out of the sport for 20 years and are not familiar with the new technology, go to a pro shop IMO.

You will be hard pressed to find anyone more knowledgeable than Andrew in the state much less Fbks.

JUST MY $.02
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I would have to agree with AKMUD on the pro shops, box stores are just that box stores. I do agree there can and will occasionally be someone at the box store who is very knowledgable on bow set up but it is a rarity.. I ran multible shops in more then one state and a big part of buisness was repairing what was done wrong by box stores.. Nothing against them at all just that a pro shop is just that a Pro shop usually more capable and more knowledgable on subjests such as those posed by the OP.. If its a bad pro shop they generally dont last long.. The good ones last and are good at what they do and want to do it.. Sorry to hear about your issue with shops up that way woundedknee.

Andrew is pretty knowlegable..shot with him a time or two before I retired from shooting pro..Just seen his dad a few weeks back..good people for sure...

Okay guys, we're heading into town next week, will definately check out Precision Archery. Thanks everybody.

I would defend Forrest at Sportsman's here in Fairbanks, he's a good guy and knows some stuff. I would agree however to check out Andrew at Precision Archery. He's a great guy and he has access to Fuse bows made by Hoyt that are pretty cool and come with some good accessories.
    It's good to hear that you have a young guy getting into archery. My wife and I are expecting a little guy any day now and I already looking forward to slinging arrows with him.
    Good luck with the bow search!

Default New Bow for son, recommendations

Go to sportsmans, ask to see the 2013 Bowtech Diamond Infinite Edge.

5-70 lb. draw weight
    13"-30" draw length
    31" axle to axle
    3.1 lbs dry
    Infinite setting for bow fishing or quick shooting(this setting enables you to shoot the compound bow, but it feels like shooting a recurve, when you draw back there is no let off, it comes back till it stops and let go.)

I fell in love with it, bought it and now I will use it until my son is big enough to shoot it at a 13 inch draw with only a 5 pound pull. This is a bow that can be around years and years, he could still use this bow when he is 30 years old!

Seriously at least go take a look at it...

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

+1 for the Diamond!

Got my son a Diamond Edge almost two years ago now, he loves it. And my wife just ordered herself one this summer. They are great starter bows for the money, very dependable so far. My son shoots his regularly in the back yard, no problems. He took one of the two hogs he shot last March with his bow. (the other was with his 7mm-08)

The Diamond Edge looks like neat idea but I've found with my own kids and a couple hundred others I've trained over the years that kids change as they age and mature. A bow that worked for a 10 year old may or may not work for a 12 or 15 year old. The style and capabilities of a child will change with time and so will their likes and desires....not to mention the gleem in their eyes when they open a new box from Santa when they see that bow they have been dreaming about for the last year. I just wanted to point out the other side of the "one bow fits all" thought.

I've found there is value in allowing the child to direct some of the changes in his hobbies while being guided by a knowledgeable parent....YMMV.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.