Thread: Mini 14 Magazines

Default Mini 14 Magazines

Been awhile since I've owned or messed with a Mini 14. Was wondering are there any good aftermarket magazines for this rifle? It used to be that the only good ones were the Ruger factory mags. Is it still like that or did someone come up with a after market mag that will work?

Thanks in advance EKC

factory or they are junk

Wish the gun (and mags) were here rather than in a saddle scabbard at our place in the Southwest so I could tell you for sure. I have half a dozen mags, mixed source- 20, 25, and 30 round. None have ever caused an issue, and I shoot the heck out of that gun. The two 30's have worried heck out of a few coyotes, seldom cutting hair, but that's not the fault of the mags.

Tapco makes some cheap mags for range use, to drop in the dirt and mud, practice malfunction drills etc... but for serious work I would only rely on factory mags. High dollar, but high quality.

I would also have to say Ruger brand. I must have been luckey though as the older National brand magazines I have are 100% feed/function. I was just looking last night to see if the Tapco mags were a cheap alternative to Ruger factory brand. Google Tapco Mini 14 magazine reviews. The first review I came to evaluated the gen 1 mags, they were junk, period. Tapco apparently took the reviews to heart, redesigned the magazine by re-enforcing the top portion of mag with steel. The review on the gen 2 magazines was positive for fit, function, feeding when using brass cased ammo. They did still have feeding problems with the steel cased Wolf ammo. I think the guy evaluating them is a big Ruger Mini 14 fan and gave the new mags high praise for light weight, fit in weapon with minimal rocking back and forth, feeding, ect... I was impressed enough that I think I will order a few, found them on Brownells for about $14 apiece. That price would allow a guy to buy 3 Tapco 30 rounders for the price of 1 Ruger brand.

Found the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znJCdgFfhbk

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    I would also have to say Ruger brand. I must have been luckey though as the older National brand magazines I have are 100% feed/function. I was just looking last night to see if the Tapco mags were a cheap alternative to Ruger factory brand. Google Tapco Mini 14 magazine reviews. The first review I came to evaluated the gen 1 mags, they were junk, period. Tapco apparently took the reviews to heart, redesigned the magazine by re-enforcing the top portion of mag with steel. The review on the gen 2 magazines was positive for fit, function, feeding when using brass cased ammo. They did still have feeding problems with the steel cased Wolf ammo. I think the guy evaluating them is a big Ruger Mini 14 fan and gave the new mags high praise for light weight, fit in weapon with minimal rocking back and forth, feeding, ect... I was impressed enough that I think I will order a few, found them on Brownells for about $14 apiece. That price would allow a guy to buy 3 Tapco 30 rounders for the price of 1 Ruger brand.

Found the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znJCdgFfhbk
    That's quite the Mini-14 web cast. I live 15 minutes from Brownells so I think I'll grab a few of those next week. Thanks for the response!

I would only buy Ruger factory mags. They are by far the best for fit and function. Aftermarket mags are generally suspect. Why spend your hard earned bucks on something that may not work well, or at all, or needs "tweaking" to function? Just buy the factory mags and be done with it.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

thats exactly my thought,,,,, why buy junk. I think if money comes easy that would be good but I work too hard to buy junk

Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    thats exactly my thought,,,,, why buy junk. I think if money comes easy that would be good but I work too hard to buy junk
    I have read numerous reviews on the Tapco Gen.II that say they work as well as the factory mags. It is possible that someone has unraveled the mystery surrounding making aftermarket mags work in a Mini 14. Besides if they don't work they go back to Brownells and I get my money back no questions asked. That takes all the gamble out of it I have nothing to loose! If they don't work in my like new 10 year old gun you guys will be the first to know. I am setting this gun up for my what if gun....... so I will settle for 100% reliability only.

I will be the the guinea pig and let you know the outcome in a week or so!

I do have a half dozen factory mags of different sizes to use for comparison!

Sounds to me like a good plan. Please keep us posted on the results. I will be ordering a couple of them next time I order from Brownell's and will also post my results. I also think it is about time that someone manufactured a fully functional, reliable, and reasonably priced Mini 14 magazine. Sure hope the reviews are true.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    Sounds to me like a good plan. Please keep us posted on the results. I will be ordering a couple of them next time I order from Brownell's and will also post my results. I also think it is about time that someone manufactured a fully functional, reliable, and reasonably priced Mini 14 magazine. Sure hope the reviews are true.

Thanks
    I'd say the we are about to find out!

OLD news here. Just before the "Ban" I bought a bunch of mags for various guns I had. The Federal Ordinance mags for the Mini14 worked great; came in 20 & 30 rd. in either blue or stainless. Also bought a bunch of Ramline plastic 30 rd. combo mags; these didn't work so well. You couldn't buy the Ruger mags.

Now Ruger lists their 20 rd mags for $40 and the 30 rd mags for $50...while an AR mag sells for what? In the $12 range? Even at the peak of the "Ban" AR mags didn't cost what Ruger charges for their Mini14 mags.

What little I shoot the Mini14, I see no difference in function between the factory mags and the Fed. Ord. I wonder who bought the machinery to make the Fed. Ord. mags. and why they never went back into production after the "Ban".

I'll be looking for your report on the new ones.

I bought up a bunch of 20's when they were 20 each, made the last order on them a few years back last day of the year when they were to jump to 30 jan 1, after that I got on to a few other projects and the ranch rifles have been set aside for cheaper more dependable things to shoot

Myself I prefer the 20 rounders to the thirty rounders. If I happen upon 20 rounders for under 30 bucks I buy them and today I found a couple more(talking factory mags here).

I now probably have all the mini mags I will ever need but am still going to follow through on this TAPCO genII thing. I just want to know. However if some of you...Gunbugs or anyone else have already tried the gen.II mags with less than spectacular results then say so cuz your word is good enough for me and there will be no need to experiment.

Thanks EKC