Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: How common is .300 WSM

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    166

    Default How common is .300 WSM

    I have decided that life is too short to just dream; you need to make the important dreams a reality. My dream is to hunt Alaska,and I have decided to do so each yearr. I've been buying gear, and even opened a savings account earmarked for this with a direct deposit coming from each of my paychecks. As a result I will probably soon buy a new rifle. I'm interested in a .300 WSM, but wonder if the regulat .300 Win Mag would be better due to the available of ammo in ALaska. Remember, I will be flying there each year, and probably changing flights a few times in the process so lost ammo is a real possibility. I'm also intrigued by the .325 WSM.

  2. #2
    Member moses42ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Peters Creek
    Posts
    202

    Default

    There is 300 WSM ammo in most stores here, so availibility is not an issue. It's your choice between the WSM and the WM, do the research on velocity with the bullet weight you plan to shoot and the rifles they are chambered for. For the most part, you can't go wrong with either. As for the 325, I personally am not as high on it as some others may be. I don't see it as a viable replacement for the 338.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage,AK/ Omaha,NE
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Nothing wrong with either the WSm or the Win Mag. As was stated ammo is found at any of the stores for either.the big difference bewtween the two would be the rifles themselves. The WSM usually comes in a lighter rifle with a shorter barrel (if that matters too you). As long as you pick a good rifle that is stainless you cant go wrong.

    As for the 325 WSM,that is what I now own after owning a 300 WSM,300 Win Mag and a 300 Weatherby Mag. So far I am very pleased with it. Factory loaded ammo is a problem but I reload so it is not a big deal for me.

    Just make sure to handle many different models and pick the one you like best. My best advice would be not to skimp on the scope.You will face very hard conditions hunting up here and the $100 scopes wont cut it.

    Good luck in your choice and let us know what you decide on.

  4. #4

    Default

    I know a lot of you all like the 300WSM and if you do that is good for you but it does not do much for me. Have one in stainless A-bolt. My 300Win Stainless with same length barrel when I hand load out preforms it in velocity and accuracy. Now before any of you get to excited remember this is just an opinion. Of course you know I am bias toward the 30-06 so that explains it all. I really like the 300WBY more than the 300WSM and 300WM. Well I guess it is just my opinion.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  5. #5

    Default

    It all depends on the rifle and its intended purpose. Remember the 300WSM was not intended to outperform the 300WM, however the 300WSM with its short action is available in compact lightweight rifles and thats where the 300WSM shines. I have owned several 300WM's and still own a M70 in 300WM but I wouldn't trade that 150 fps for the extra weight in a mountain gun. My Kimber Montana 300WSM will shoot bugholes and just recently I got a 2 shot group at 300 yards that went into 1.25", I am quite impressed with mine and its so light and easy to carry. Ammo is readily available up here at any of the big sporting goods and in many variations. I shot a lot of different factory loads in mine before I realized she just flat out loves 180 Barnes TSX's loaded by Federal.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    It all depends on the rifle and its intended purpose. Remember the 300WSM was not intended to outperform the 300WM, however the 300WSM with its short action is available in compact lightweight rifles and thats where the 300WSM shines. I have owned several 300WM's and still own a M70 in 300WM but I wouldn't trade that 150 fps for the extra weight in a mountain gun. My Kimber Montana 300WSM will shoot bugholes and just recently I got a 2 shot group at 300 yards that went into 1.25", I am quite impressed with mine and its so light and easy to carry. Ammo is readily available up here at any of the big sporting goods and in many variations. I shot a lot of different factory loads in mine before I realized she just flat out loves 180 Barnes TSX's loaded by Federal.
    Yes, the Kimber is one real nice made rifle, I love mine in 30-06 and how light it is, it is a blessing in the Arizona mountains where I go a lot to hunt. I am sure it is the rifle and the group you have recorded indicates that fact, as well as your rifle being a keeper. Thank you for sharing your experince with the 300wsm I know you will drop game with your setup.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  7. #7

    Default

    Hey, AlaskaCub, I was just thinking, you said, "My Kimber Montana 300WSM will shoot bugholes". Well, why not get back the 150fps and get a Kimber 8400 Montana in 300Win Mag.? They are a light carry rifle and since it is a Kimber, it will shoot. Plus the 300Win will handle the heavier bullets much better. In making rifles light and also well made match grade hunting rifles like Kimber the old cartridges that never needed replacing have new and useful lives and really are better choices when all asspects are considered and that is not to say you don't have a good rifle or cartridge. I just don't think it is the best cartridge in it's class, I do think you have the best rifle in it's class (production match grade hunting rifles). Just a thought.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Something to think about though...is while you can find 300wsm ammo in stores in most cities, once you get out into the bush communities, you'll have a much harder time finding it. Before flying out of Kotzebue last fall, we stopped in the AC store to look around and they had plenty of 243win, 270win, 7mm rem mag, .308, 30-06, 300win, 338win ammo, but not much else. Your ammo can be packed with your rifle while you're flying (at least you could last fall on AK Air), so I don't see lost ammo as a big issue.

    The Kimber Montanas are dang nice rifles, but they're a little spendy. If you're looking for a tack driver that's a bit cheaper, check out the Tikka T3 Lite. I've got one in 300wsm and love it! Something people will mention though is it uses a standard length action, which is true, but it still only weighs slightly over 6lbs.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Aniak
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akfishinguy View Post
    Something to think about though...is while you can find 300wsm ammo in stores in most cities, once you get out into the bush communities, you'll have a much harder time finding it. Before flying out of Kotzebue last fall, we stopped in the AC store to look around and they had plenty of 243win, 270win, 7mm rem mag, .308, 30-06, 300win, 338win ammo, but not much else. Your ammo can be packed with your rifle while you're flying (at least you could last fall on AK Air), so I don't see lost ammo as a big issue.
    Yeah, it's finding the wsm ammo in the bush that's the trick. I've looked in the AC stores here in Aniak and in Bethel (two of the larger SW bush villages) and no go. They have the standard calibers, but not the newer stuff. I think I may have to start hand loading.

    From scouting the brass at the range, I think I'm the only one here with a short mag rifle. Lots of 270 win brass laying around, though.

  10. #10
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Hey, AlaskaCub, I was just thinking, you said, "My Kimber Montana 300WSM will shoot bugholes". Well, why not get back the 150fps and get a Kimber 8400 Montana in 300Win Mag.? They are a light carry rifle and since it is a Kimber, it will shoot. Plus the 300Win will handle the heavier bullets much better. In making rifles light and also well made match grade hunting rifles like Kimber the old cartridges that never needed replacing have new and useful lives and really are better choices when all asspects are considered and that is not to say you don't have a good rifle or cartridge. I just don't think it is the best cartridge in it's class, I do think you have the best rifle in it's class (production match grade hunting rifles). Just a thought.
    Or gain even more fps over both the 300 WSM and the 300 Winnie by going with the 300 Ultra. Entirely a whole 'nuther animal right there.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Or gain even more fps over both the 300 WSM and the 300 Winnie by going with the 300 Ultra. Entirely a whole 'nuther animal right there.
    Man you are right about the 300 Ultra. being another animal. Was thinking when it first came out of buying one but shot a friends and decided that my 300WBY was enough. Now I have seen him hit with it and it will put game down but so does my 300WBY Ruger #1 and it is all the recoil I really want in a 30 cal.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  12. #12
    Member alaska bush man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    905

    Thumbs up 300 Wsm

    I have a 300 WSM and 300 Win both do the same with bullets up to 180......then after that the 300 Win mag starts pulling ahead.

    As for ammo in AK, the 3 most popular rifles here the 30-06, 300 win Mag and 338 Win Mag.
    Alaska

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    166

    Default

    What would the recoil difference be in a Kimber Montana between the .300 WSm and the .300 Win Mag?

  14. #14

    Default

    Not much, but I will tell you that the 300WM in a Tikka T3 Lite kicks noticeably more than the 300WSM in a Montana. I have owned both and to me shooting the Tikka in a 300WM just wasn't much fun. I attribute the less noticed recoil in the Kimber to the better quality and design in the stock. As to the question about getting a Montana in 300 WM , I just dont see the need. If the WSM with 180's isn't enough (which it is for most anything in this state with the exception of the big bears down south) I am bringing my 338WM. Theres lots of good calibers out there finding one that tickles your fancy is the goal. I have owned lots of guns and they have all killed well no one is better than the next. Choosing calibers in hunting guns can be a real mind game.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Thanks AlaskaCub. I don't see much advantage in the .300 Win Montana over a .300 WSM Montana either. I was just considering the availability of ammo.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by okbowman View Post
    Thanks AlaskaCub. I don't see much advantage in the .300 Win Montana over a .300 WSM Montana either. I was just considering the availability of ammo.
    You are right about not much difference in these cartridges in a Montana except if I were facing a big animal up close the comfort of the heavier bullet that I could push out of the 300 Win Mag as apposed to the 300WSM would be no contest in my mind. Either way though they are both a lot of gun and very powerful and I hope that your hunting experience with either will be successful. just beartooth
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    The advantage of the 300 WSM is that you can build a lighter rifle easier. I removed the stocks from several Winchester 70's I had and weighed the barreled actions. Barrel contours were almost exactly the same as well. Same length and diameter at the muzzle.
    The 300 WM and 06 barreled actions weighed 5 ounces more than the 300 WSM. The 300 WSM probably shoots the same size bullet as the 300 WM on average about 50-100 fps slower. This cartridge permits the rifle to be built on a short action resulting in a lighter weight rifle.
    In my humble opinion this is where the 300 WSM shines.
    Tennessee

  18. #18

    Default 300

    I used to have a 300 wsm in a kimber montana. I hand load and was shooting 180 gr MRX's at 3,050 fps. I also worked up a good load for 200 gr accubonds at 2,820 fps. I don't see any faults with the 300 wsm unless perhaps someone really wanted to shoot 220 gr bullets but then again there isn't a hole lot of premium bullets available in 220 .308 cal to begin with any way. I have owned a lot of rifles in the past and I can honestly say that the WSM's really do have a place in the hunting world especially with the mountain hunting croud. Lighter and shorter is nice to have when the mountains get steep and the trees get thick. Now I say this but remember that one of my favorite hunting rifles is my 338 win mag witha 24 in bbl.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •