Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chugiak brown bear question

Default Chugiak brown bear question

I have a good buddy of mine who has been having a few different browns roaming his remote neighborhood in chugiak and was curious if it would be frowned upon by F&G to drop one with a bow on his land. I checked into the regs and his land is in the remainder area of unit 14C im just not sure what a greenie will say if I lay one down in my buddies driveway (where they have been crossing regularly to get to the heavy brush before heading up the mountain). He called me asking me if I would be willing to reduce the local brown bear population in his area due to the fact he has dogs and they seem to be causing some problems. He keeps the dog food and garbage in his garage so there is no food source at his house that they are sitting on but seems they come through daily 2-3 times a day. Figured I would see what the general public would think on this issue (I have a call into F&G waiting on a call back).

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I see nothing wrong with it. However, I do see a publicity nightmare if you follow through with it. I personally wouldnt unless they are quite a ways in the woods well away from other houses. If you stick one and it runs over and gobbles up the neighbor, bad things are bound to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyhuntinAK View Post
    I see nothing wrong with it. However, I do see a publicity nightmare if you follow through with it. I personally wouldnt unless they are quite a ways in the woods well away from other houses. If you stick one and it runs over and gobbles up the neighbor, bad things are bound to follow.
    On the other hand, I have no clue if its legal. If its not legal then it is definitely wrong and you shouldnt do it.

Living in Eagle River surrounded by the park, I can't shoot browns, but if it were legal, I wouldn't hesitate to much, but then again, I want a brown bear pretty bad.
    Tony

I wouldn't think it'd be a problem as long as it's in a legal location. If I remember correctly, there was either a member on here or there was a link to a story in the ADN on it a few years ago about a guy that did the same thing you're talking about.

Not sure if this applies, but is there a minimum distance you have to be from a residency?
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    If I remember correctly, there was either a member on here or there was a link to a story in the ADN on it a few years ago about a guy that did the same thing you're talking about.
    Yep, there was a guy who shot a huge brown bear right in his yard. I was under the impression that F&G wanted to close what they considered a loophole that allowed that to be a legal area, but I'm not sure if there has been a change.

Here's the story: http://www.adn.com/2008/10/19/560712...-even-for.html

It's suprising how much area is open and how ok most folks are as well. I worked for a guy in Girdwood who's property bounded the Remainder of 14C. I did a little legwork and emailed his neighbors to get their permission incase I crossed their land on my way up or down and they all emailed back and said it was fine with them, just dont shoot anything on their property. Bottom line, if he wants to do that on his property, you can go for it BUT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM HIM, JUST TO BE TECHNICALLY CORRECT. Nobody has authority to do anything. Also, you can call the nearest troopers office and ask about your specific area to be sure, and give them a heads up. The Girdwood ones I talked to were surpisingly helpful and supportive.

I'd be more than happy to help out too if more than one bear needs culled. PM me if you want a 416 for backup.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I'd like to see a picture of that bear Sorenson shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post
    I'd like to see a picture of that bear Sorenson shot.
    If I remember correctly there was a picture of Sorenson and his bear when the article was first written.

I see the problem with your idea being that you are going to use a bow. What the other guy did was put it down on the spot with a CNS shot from a big bore rifle. A bow almost guarantees it's going to run off his property while it's bleeding out, even if you give it a heart shot. A wounded bear, even if fatally hit, is a nightmare if he has neighbors. Now if we're talking he has 20 acres and his nearest neighbor is a 1/4 mile away, then I say sling them arrows away.

I guess this falls into the just because you can, doesn't mean you should category.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Not the biggest or best picture of the bear, but here ya go...

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    Not sure if this applies, but is there a minimum distance you have to be from a residency?
    That's only defined by local town/muni and the MOA does not have that as a defined unit. The only way our muni law defines it is 'It is illegal to brandish or discharge a firearm except for approved shooting ranges or areas for lawful hunting.' I got a hold of Dave Parker and they take their definition for that area by the State hunting regs. So in short, no. You can hunt on any publicly owned muni land or any privately owned land (with permission) if it's within the state defined areas for whatever animal you're pursuing. No minimum distance from roads, rails or houses.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Default Re: Chugiak brown bear question

What is the best way to determine if you are actually in the remainder of 14c? I have a monster black bear that swings by my house in Eagle River once in a while and from the regs it looks like I might be in the remainder of 14c. I just want to be sure before I even think about dropping it in my yard.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    What is the best way to determine if you are actually in the remainder of 14c? I have a monster black bear that swings by my house in Eagle River once in a while and from the regs it looks like I might be in the remainder of 14c. I just want to be sure before I even think about dropping it in my yard.

Contact ADF&G, then if they say it is okay, make sure to get the name of the person you spoke with in case it comes back to bite you later.

Go by the GPS coordinates.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post

Please read the regs carefully and see where you would fall into this. Take a look at the map for 14C provided by F&G on page 74 (I think) and read the state restrictions. Depending on whre you live, #2 or #6 probably apply. Then look at the areas on page 75 and see what it says about seasons under black bear. I'm not 100 percent but do the research before you go to the field/back yard

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I see the problem with your idea being that you are going to use a bow. What the other guy did was put it down on the spot with a CNS shot from a big bore rifle. A bow almost guarantees it's going to run off his property while it's bleeding out, even if you give it a heart shot. A wounded bear, even if fatally hit, is a nightmare if he has neighbors. Now if we're talking he has 20 acres and his nearest neighbor is a 1/4 mile away, then I say sling them arrows away.
    That's really good logic. Rep points inbound. One gunshot will startle your neighbors a whole lot less than a wounded grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post

I guess this falls into the just because you can, doesn't mean you should category.
    I would disagree. The animals I've shot with a bow, and the ones I've seen shot with a bow, have gone no further than those shot in the chest cavity with a rifle. Properly placed in the heart or lungs, an arrow is easily as deadly as a large caliber rifle. I say go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    I would disagree. The animals I've shot with a bow, and the ones I've seen shot with a bow, have gone no further than those shot in the chest cavity with a rifle. Properly placed in the heart or lungs, an arrow is easily as deadly as a large caliber rifle. I say go for it!
    A broad head has a larger surface area than a bullet and the animals seldom have any idea what just happened.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast