Thread: KRSA Classic moved to August for silvers instead of kings . . ?

Default KRSA Classic moved to August for silvers instead of kings . . ?

Heard a rumor that there will be no KRSA Kenai Classic in July next year . . they're moving it to August for silvers?

Anyone else hear anything?

Why don't you call KRSA and ask them. Seems pretty simple to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Heard a rumor that there will be no KRSA Kenai Classic in July next year . . they're moving it to August for silvers?

So, that would be a good thing if the Kings are still stressed and a bad thing if the Silvers are stressed? Would everyone relax if it was a Pinks or Dog tournament?
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Tee Jay View Post
    So, that would be a good thing if the Kings are still stressed and a bad thing if the Silvers are stressed? Would everyone relax if it was a Pinks or Dog tournament?
    Terry
    Agreed... a good thing since kings ARE stressed. If the rumor is false and it remains a king tournament, then I woud urge the leadership to consider making it a strictly C&R affair to minimize impact on a depressed population.

If it becomes a coho tournament for the lower river, I would advocate for a kill'em all affair as release mortality in transition coho that haven't hardened off is obscenely high.

A pink tourney? Well that would be an interesting twist. It would be a totally action-filled "hoot" for most of the participants.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Rumor probably, but I think that the King season will be closed next year.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Rumor probably, but I think that the King season will be closed next year.....
    I hope they do but bet it won't happen until later so they can still be used for the economy. Just think how many people wouldn't even come up next year if they closed kings now.

I guess sifting through the fish of any species to get the biggest one is a CLASSICally stupid thing to do and a proven way to kill a stock. Glad the folks in Homer saw the light re: halibut.

I sent a message asking about their plans but no reply to date. Oh well.

Move it up river and have it a catch and kill Rainbow & Dolly Folly. Just think of how many salmon that woud save

Marcus,

Your rumor has been confirmed. In today's Peninsula Clarion it was announced that the Kenai Classic will be held August 19-21st.

Long live the Kings!

How can those that have perished continue to live?

Why don't they target Chum for the events other then silvers or kings for a while? They can get pretty good sized and can put up a decent fight. There are plenty of them to boot! You never hear of any one complaining "Man, the Chum and pink returns are so low this year" lol. Doesn't have to be for ever, but at least for a few years would help both Kings and Silvers I would think.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    Why don't they target Chum for the events other then silvers or kings for a while? They can get pretty good sized and can put up a decent fight. There are plenty of them to boot! You never hear of any one complaining "Man, the Chum and pink returns are so low this year" lol. Doesn't have to be for ever, but at least for a few years would help both Kings and Silvers I would think.

Just a thought.
    hmmmmmm.......there is no chum run in the Kenai

O theres not? Shows how much I fish down there lol. Never mind then lol.

Almost no Chum on the Kenai, and very few pinks on odd years... so the Chum or Pink tourney is not an option. Not to mention that you fish for silvers and pinks using the same methods, so there would still be lots of silvers caught. As mentioned above, C&R mortality on lower river silvers is very high, so might as well just fish for them and keep. I think the silver salmon tourney is a great idea - harvest the more abundant species and raise money for the KRSA, an organization that does a lot of great conservation work in the area.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.