Thread: Tikka T3 .223 Remington

Default Tikka T3 .223 Remington

Question for y'all out there with this firearm. Any suggestions on loading 55 grain bullets using H335 powder? This rifle has a faster twist than most .223s. Thanks.
    Alaskatom08

What twist rate is your tikka? I thought I read somewhere Tikka's were 1/9" twist. I don't know what most are but many are 1/7" or 1/8". 55 grain will stabilize with 1/10" twist. If your Tikka is 1/9" you could shoot the m855 or 69 grain spitzers. You should be able to find data for H335 powder in many different manuals.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

On the Tikka website, the T3 in .223 is available with either 1:8 twist or 1:12.

http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/TikkaT3Datatable2012.pdf

I would therefore ass/u/me the OP has a 1:8 twist rifle. I have used some H335 in my 1:9 twist AR-15. With 63 grain bullets. Once I tested Varget in both hot and cold weather I stopped loading .223 with anything else except Varget and probably still have some H335 laying around.

Were I working up a load from in stock components I think the thing to be looking out for is overstabilized bullets, that is if you start seeing keyhole type bullet holes in the target back off the chagre weight a little bit.

If I had a 1:8 twist .223 I would be looking for heavier bullets next time around I think. The cheap Speer 62gr FMJ is rare as hen's teeth this year on the shelf, but the 63gr Sierra softpoint is readily available.

Just thinking out loud. Lots of folks around here know a whole lot more about .223 than I do.

Thanks, Murphy. You're correct, mine is a 1/9" twist.

Swmn, they may well be changing their barrels I don't know. I was thinking I'd seen 1/9". But I agree with you something of 60 grains and there are better powders for all weights. I s'pose he has H335 on hand and it will work.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTom08 View Post
    Thanks, Murphy. You're correct, mine is a 1/9" twist.
    I was thinking the T3 I had shouldered at Frontier Outfitters a couple years ago was a 1:9. The link above is for the 2012 production though. My AR is also 1:9 twist, 20" barrel. Mine will handle 40-75 grain bullets out to 100 yards just fine, but for group size at 300 yards mine really prefers bullets 60-65 grains.

OP has a different barrel than me, and H335 is a perfectly reasonable powder for .223 Remington. Have at it dude. If you are seeing keyholing in your targets I would try some heavier bullets before I gave up on H335.

I was at the range this morning, a bit chilly (16*) and tried some handloads. Using 25.1 grains of H335 and 55 grain Sierras, I got less than 1/2 group at 100 yards. I was wrong about the twist, stamped on the barrel is 8". Thanks for the input from everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTom08 View Post
    I was at the range this morning, a bit chilly (16*) and tried some handloads. Using 25.1 grains of H335 and 55 grain Sierras, I got less than 1/2 group at 100 yards. I was wrong about the twist, stamped on the barrel is 8". Thanks for the input from everyone!

Ok. Thanks for pointing out my error. Tikka Rifles are 1 in 8" twist. I'd say you could shoot the 77 grain Sierraa MK bullets (Mk 262 ammo)

Here are some general industry related tips about bullet weight and stability and twist rate.

The Greenhill formula:

Twist Rate = C x D2 / L Where:
    --Twist rate is the slowest acceptable twist in inches per turn.
    ( Remember, a 12 twist is SLOWER than a 10 twist. The larger the number, the slower the twist.)

-- C is a dimensionless constant (For muzzle velocities less than 1500 feet per second, we recommend 125 be used. For muzzle velocities between 1500 fps and 2800 fps, use 150. For muzzle velocities above 2800, use 180.)
    -- D is the projectile diameter in inches -- L is the projectile length in inches
    (NOTE: Twist Rate, D and L can be expressed in any unit of measure as long as the same units are used for all.)

Notice that the formula does not include projectile weight. Twist rate does not depend on projectile weight. It only depends on projectile length and diameter. Two projectiles with identical weight can require different twist rates. For example, a 150 grain pointed nose boattail projectile is longer than a 150 grain round nose flat base projectile. So, the pointed boattail projectile will require a faster twist than the round nose flat base projectile.

For any given projectile, the higher its muzzle velocity, the slower the twist that will stabilize it. Lower muzzle velocities require faster twists.

The general twist vs bullet weight requirements:

5.56MM / 223 REMINGTON BULLET WEIGHTS
    1 Turn in 7 ------------ 77 grains Max (This was at one time the heaviest weight available)
    1 Turn in 8 ------------ 69 grains Max (I've had good results with 77 grain HPBT Mk bullets)
    1 Turn in 9 ------------ 65 grains Max ( The long penetrator [M855] round is stabilized with this twist in 20" barrels.)

Armalite uses 1 9n 8" SS match barrels on my Varminter config, 20" barrel rifle and the 77 grain Sierra MK's will group about one inch at 300 yards. A little longer barrel (more velocity) can boost stability for the marginal twist guns with long bullets.

It is air resistance that attempts to destabilize the projectile. Cold, dense air will require higher twist rates than warm, less dense air.

Good stuff Murphy, what happens on the other end, will lighter and/or shorter bullets perform poorly in a 1 in 8?

I currently have several (and have had several other) fast-twisted .223's. I also have an 1-8" twist .22-250AI. They all shoot 75gr A-Max's just as well as they shoot 50gr V-Max's. For grins, I ran some 40gr V-Max's through my 1-9" twist Kimber Montana, and they shot just fine.

While 50-55 gr bullets can be launched out of 1-8" twist, they will launch slower than the same round fired out of 1-12" twist. So you might consider choosing a bullet that is towards the heavier end of your rifles twist capability.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !