Thread: 12 gauge 18 inch barrel for waterfowl hunting

Default 12 gauge 18 inch barrel for waterfowl hunting

Hi,

I am totally new to anything to do with hunting. I want to start small with waterfowl and small game hunting. I recently bought an 18inch barrel 4+1 shot 12 ga shotgun. Only after buying did I realize its barrel was shorter than what a lot of bird hunters use. I would like to hunt waterfowl and birds with it, but I am not sure if this would be feasible, or could be done with an extra full choke or something. I am also looking for people who are going waterfowl or bird hunting, to join and learn the ropes with them and help out. Thanks. I just moved to anchorage, so am looking for hunting opportunities reasonably near to anchorage area.

What kind of gun is it? Chances are they make extra barrels for it that you can buy. They usually run about $300 brand new but you can probably find a used one for a decent price. Make sure you get a plug for that magazine too, regulations only allow a 2+1 set up for waterfowl in AK.

as far as hunting goes, the season is pretty much done now. But if you do a search in this forum you are going to find a gold mine of info. There really are no secret areas around here. Everybody pretty much hunts the same spots. Start doing your research now, and you will be ready for next season.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

put a mod or ic choke in and it would be a field gun for close up ptarmigan or grouse. for ducks you should have a 26" or bigger. longer the barrel the smoother your swing.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

yep..pretty much what they said...check on getting another barrel for...

Other members..you see here...another possible member of the ADHA!..lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

It won't work for duck hunting. I had a barrel on an 870 cut down to 21" and screw in chokes installed ONE time. Bad mistake!! It would bust you and whoever was close to you ear drums and it didn't pattern worth a *****. Like others have said, get a 26"barrel, modified choke and 3"#2 Winchester steel. You'll be fine. Get you a duck call and practice, practice, practice. Nobody wants to go with somebody that blows a duck call that sounds like a kazoo.

That's funny about the Kazoo, I took a guy out this year that managed to make his duck call sound like a chimpanzee. I didn't even stop him, I was just amazed that he could make it sound like that. He flared every duck he called at, and eventually stopped, but it was funny.

whats even more funny is the noise one will make their first time blowing a goose call. when i was hunting last weekend we had some geese flyin around and got them to circle a few times and some other guy went blowin on his call and it sounds like a dieing rabbit mixed with a manbearpig
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Manbearpig...that is one heck of a noise...lol

That is why when I have new guys out.. If they have experience your BS filter can pick it up pretty quick...if not, I will wait for a few birds to start working and hand them the shaker...get em motivated on using it...either they take the hint or I will just be blunt and politely ask or tell them to put it back in their bag..or if I think they want to look cool with 10 calls around their neck..will ask that they just let them hang... I got it!

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    whats even more funny is the noise one will make their first time blowing a goose call. when i was hunting last weekend we had some geese flyin around and got them to circle a few times and some other guy went blowin on his call and it sounds like a dieing rabbit mixed with a manbearpig
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Personally, I would just go the firearms swap and sell forum and buy Teacherman's 835.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Thanks for the tips guys. What kind of small game hunting goes through the winter?

Wabbit hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Wabbit hunting!
    Hi could I use the 18 inch barrel for rabbit hunting? Is anyone planning to go rabbit hunting and would be willing to take me along? Thanks.

Your 18" shotgun could be used for waterfowling. Modern shotshells gain all the velocity they're going to gain in about that length, I know it's hard to believe but Grandpop's LongTom doesn't shoot any harder because of it long barrel. Short barreled shotguns can pattern just as good as long ones as well with a load they like and properly bored and choked. I think the main reason nobody hunts with one ,other than the old myths that won't die, is that the short barrel magnifies shooter shortcomings. Try shooting a round of skeet with a riot gun and then switch to a longer barreled gun and watch your scores improve as your swing gets smoother.
    I'd say if you can't get another gun don't let it keep you from hunting, but try to grab an older 870 or Mossberg 500 as the bankroll allows. I'd rather hunt with a slingshot than not at all.

A dead bird won't care how long the barrel was that delivered the shot to kill it. Find an access point, put your boots on, load your gun (steel shot and a plug if waterfowling) and see what you can see. Take a friend and learn together. Try to ask people individually if they would mind company. Certainly go for it responsibly an ethically and have a great time along the way.