Thread: 416 Taylor, ER Shaw barrel range report.

Default 416 Taylor, ER Shaw barrel range report.

IMG_0048.jpg

Yee-haw. I love this caliber. I finally got out to the range with 40 rounds to dispatch into the berm. I marked those first 3 rounds which were shots I made while adjusting the scope. Then that's an 8 shot group in the nice cloverleaf. Those bottom two, I know I flinched and pulled them.

I was pretty pleasantly suprised with the performance of this barrel. This rifle is easily capable of MOA accuracy, I can just tell. It's also the first rifle thats had any of the following; a Leupold scope, a Timney trigger or glass bedded barrel/action. Holy cow, what a difference. I was very pleased with the accuracy, which of course could have been better, but I haven't shot rifle in a while and the safari magnums really do make you flinchy, very quick. While my experience with the company (ER Shaw) was not the greatest, I definitely received a good product, for the lowest price around.

I love the 416 Taylor. It really doesn't punish as bad as the other large bore's. It felt like a very hot 338 round. The Boyds laminate stock has good geometry and fit to manage the recoil well.

I didn't have time to get a chronograph, but based on the ballistic calculator at handloads.com, I estimate I had that 350 grain bullet going about 2450 fps. I'm hoping to get that to at least 2500. I'll start working loads a little higher once my shoulder feels better. Big thanks to WildAlaska and The Kid who gave me most of the 458 brass I used. - Andrew
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    I didn't have time to get a chronograph, but based on the ballistic calculator at handloads.com, I estimate I had that 350 grain bullet going about 2450 fps. I'm hoping to get that to at least 2500. I'll start working loads a little higher once my shoulder feels better. Big thanks to WildAlaska and The Kid who gave me most of the 458 brass I used. - Andrew
    I'm not one to curtail velocity, but I only load that bullet to about 2550 fps from my 416 RM. It'll go faster, but recoil goes up and besides a slightly flatter trajectory I'm skeptical that there's any advantage to the extra speed. I shot a brownie with that load this past fall and to say it was devastating is grossly understated. You'll be well served with the Taylor, keep up the reporting.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I'm not one to curtail velocity, but I only load that bullet to about 2550 fps from my 416 RM. It'll go faster, but recoil goes up and besides a slightly flatter trajectory I'm skeptical that there's any advantage to the extra speed. I shot a brownie with that load this past fall and to say it was devastating is grossly understated. You'll be well served with the Taylor, keep up the reporting.
    Yeah, the Taylor will allllmost do what the Remington can do, but it does it with a lot less recoil because the smaller case forces you to use less powder. I'm not so much hunting for crazy velocity, it's not what I expect using the itty bitty Taylor. I could just definitely tell that pressure was very nice and low, that I was definitely not using the case to its full potential.

I was using 76 grains of RL-15 with the Speer 350. If anyone handloads the 416 Ruger, it's a lot closer in capacity to the Taylor and I'd be curious to see your load data.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Glad to see that it's gonna be a shooter, thats some good shooting for a rifle of that size that has that 3/8" "Recoil" pad. You must be one tough cat.
    My 20" 458WM averages 2489fps with the 350 Speer and a book max load, it kills like a hammer and has a noticeably more useable trajectory than a 45/70, first animal I shot with it was a big buck on Kodiak at a bit over 200yds. It is also one of the most accurate rifles I own, big bores are generally pretty easy to get good accuracy from, looks like yours is no exception.
    If it were mine I'd put a Pachmyer on that baby and commence with the tag filling.

Rifle PHOTO.... ?????

I am putting an old Parker Hale Safari rifle stock on mine,,,,But I am having some problems with the grain near where I need to put in some cross bolts.

I might have to go with a Boyds Laminated.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default photo

IMG_0032.jpg
    Pretty happy with the Boyds stock.

I have used the 416 Taylor and always liked the efficiency and performance. It seems right at home with 350 grain bullets and the two I've used, the Speer mag-tip and Swift A frame, have similar profiles and load about the same. My favorite propellant is H4895 for this 350 grain in all my 416's. I do think your 76.0 of RL-15 is a near max load and 2500 fps is about the limit for sensible loads in the Taylor with the 350 grain bullet. My load was at 2450 fps and was more than enough gun for all my applications. It would make a very good close quarters grizzly cartridge. You're right the 416 Ruger is very similar in case capacity and it will deliver 2400 fps with the 350 grain from a 20" barrel. It's a fine thumper in a light rifle.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    IMG_0032.jpg
    Pretty happy with the Boyds stock.
    Are you certain that the recoil pad is not too big????
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Andrew:
    I am glad it shoots well for you and the stock looks very nice. Question for you though...where is the trigger guard?
    BEE

I don't have a 416 Taylor now. I've moved on all that I've had. I was at a gushow in Atlanta a while back and a guy had three SAKO Safari rifles. All reasonably priced and in 375 H&H, 416 Remington and 458 Win. mag. I was thinking how nice one of those light rifles would be in 416 Taylor but I have 416's and 375's. The rifle is barely 8 pounds in 416 Rem and I thought that might punch me around some so I negotiated for the 458 Winnie. It actually weighs less than the 416 at about 7 pounds, 9 ounces. I have it here with me now in Namibia, not really hunting just helping a friend get his camp ready for hunting season but we are on the look out for some good animals. A leopard has been in the local livestock so last night I took the 458, sighted in with 450 grainers and a 1.25-4x scope on it, out to watch over a bait. I didn't know until we got settled in the blind that my friend had brought his custom Mauser in 416 Taylor. Well, no leopard showed but we had several hours watching many other animals come and go around the blind including a pair of cheetahs. We finished the night with a pot of coffee back at the hut discussing the merits of the wonderful 416 Taylor and watch the morning sun warm up the nights chill. I managed to bring him a bunch of 458 Winnie brass that he requested and just last night found they will be used for his Taylor. Easy to neck down and fill the case with the right powder and cap it with a good bullet. All these years I've known him and never knew he was a Taylor guy. Yeah he has a 375 H&H and a 500 Jeffery also but says if he could have but one,it would be the 416 taylor.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Andrew:
    I am glad it shoots well for you and the stock looks very nice. Question for you though...where is the trigger guard?
    BEE
    It was on backorder and came in after I had taken this picture. The trigger guard from the Stevens 200 tupperware stock didn't match the laminate Savage 110 replacement stock. (Stevens 200 = Savage 110 minus accutrigger + piece of crap plastic stock.)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Are you certain that the recoil pad is not too big????
    Yeah, I'm definitely going to get that upgraded when funds are available.