Thread: Open water anywhere in Anchorage

Default Open water anywhere in Anchorage

Does anybody know if there is any open water anywhere around Anchorage, in the Valley or how Alder Pond looks like down by girdwood.

Westchester lagoon by the frisbee golf course is open. Chester Creek is open. I don't know of any lakes yet open in town. Maybe Taku Cambell lake by the inflows/outflows? That's all I got!

Man, that's a shame.

Were they able to get that vehicle out?

Default Pictures were sent to me from The Slope

Just as curious as to the details of this experience!

Thanks for the posts and keep them coming, I would like to know the story behind the dodge truck

We just had a safety meeting at work and talked about the thinning ice. When someone asked when it is too thin to go out on anymore someone said "right after the first truck of spring breaks through Big Lake". Happens every year!

Well i went out to campbell creek past Lake Otis today after my Physics Final, only had a spinning rod and I walked up the creek past folker street and fished back down the river towards lake Otis, didn't catch anything but i did more looking around than fishing. I was wondering where on Campbell creek people mean when they say to fish the upper Campbell creek for rainbows.

Default catchfish

i live near there and walk my dog a lot by the upper campbell. where you were if you walk on bike path over the large bridge past the play ground to the east. then another bridge a little ways past that. there is a look out platform and signs that so no fishing beyond this point. where those two forks come together there are huge trout in there. have not seen them this year yet but the creek is open. last year was able to keep three per day of any size, have not seen that sign yet this year. but there are some monster trout there later on.

Well I'll have to keep checking back there, I was around that area today, I think it would help if the water was up just a little. But sounds like you gave me your honey hole, when they do show up I'll be there

the limit is 2 per day below the forks, catch and release only above the forks
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Fish & Game doesn't stock anywhere near there. Stockers are put in far downstream. By the way, this year's stocked fish will be small. Very small. I've seen them and they aren't much to look at thanks to the lack of warm water that they lost last year. It'll take more than two to feed even one person.

Fish and game actually does put about half their bows and all the silver in at the big pool off tutor by taco bell. Of course right after they stock it a few guys come down and catch (and kill) about half of them in a few evenings
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Emergency order just made ALL of Campbell Creek and Chester Creek catch and release only for rainbows this year. No fish are being stocked in those waters.

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/88...-8749804c.html

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=12624

This morning, i saw some open watter on Lucille lake and Wasilla lake is starting. A good stiff wind will stack up what ice is left. It will only get better.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default A little off the subject

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    Well i went out to campbell creek past Lake Otis today after my Physics Final, only had a spinning rod and I walked up the creek past folker street and fished back down the river towards lake Otis, didn't catch anything but i did more looking around than fishing. I was wondering where on Campbell creek people mean when they say to fish the upper Campbell creek for rainbows.
    Catchfish, Who did you have for a professor. I had Martins. His exam was brutal but I passed, barely. I'm supposed to graduate on Sunday so I guess all of those 7 hour homework assignments were worth it.

Have fun fishing this summer

Has anyone checked Long Lake out in Palmer? Should POP soon.

jewel lake last night they were catching trout.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK