Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Brown Bear Experience.

Default A Brown Bear Experience.

I posted this as a response on a thread, and figured it might be of interest to those not interested in that thread, so this is a duplicate post.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

I was guiding a hunter in Wide Bay, it was the day before the bear season opened, so the hunter and I slept in. I had two 8'X8' "Bombshelter" tents set up facing each other about 6' apart. One was for sleeping and the other for cooking. I told the hunter to stay in his bag till I get the coffee made and the cook tent heated. So I crawl out of the sleep tent on hands and knees, and figure as it is only 6' till I have to get back on my hands and knees, I'll just crawl over to the cook tent.

Well I get about halfway and a nice 8' brown bear comes from behind the cook tent and walks right up to me, still on my hands and knees. I don't want to move more than necessary, so I go down slowly onto my elbows and knees and freeze with my hands over my neck fingers locked, waiting. The bear walks up to me and sniffs my head, then continues moving till it head is over my butt, and its front feet are next to my elbows. For a long time it just sniffs my butt, which after 60 days afield was very aromatic. Plus most likely there was dried blood on my pants from packing moose.

As nothing was happening (I was not getting nibbled) the bear was just sniffing my butt. I remembered I was responsable for the hunters safety and calmly told him not to move or bump the sleep tent. The bear just stayed there sniffing my butt, (the flap to the sleep tent was still open) so I calmly asked the hunter to slid a rifle out to me with out disturbing the tent. He said, "Which one do you want". Remember he still did not know there was a Brown Bear on top of me. I said, slide my rifle out slowly, very slowly, but he needs to stay in the tent. Well, now he wants to know what is going on......???? He says, "do you want the barrel first"....??? I said, yes and about that time as the rifle started out the flap of the sleep tent, the bear calmly raised up and swung to his right, and slowly walked off. I watched his large butt walk away. Then made coffee. I understand that that hunter moved to Alaska, and may even be an AOD forum member. He is a very good hunter, and hunts all over the world. I am so glad he remained calm

Great story! I had an internal chuckle when I was reading.

That's one hell of a story! You aren't BS'n us are you?

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    That's one hell of a story! You aren't BS'n us are you?
    100% True......The bear was over me for a long time, at least one and a half minutes, maybe two. Which was a long time to hold still, looking at two large feet with long white'ish claws

That had to seem like hours instead of minutes.

Great story.

Bet that bear caught a few new aromas coming from your shorts!!
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

I just 5 starred this thread, it's that bizarre.

Ancient Indian Poem:

When the pine cone fell in the forest

The eagle saw it

The deer heard it

The bear smelled it.

Damm lucky you were not in heat
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    so I go down slowly onto my elbows and knees and freeze with my hands over my neck fingers locked, waiting. ,........... I am so glad he remained calm
    This is such a Great Visual,...for the imagination,..

"Remains Calm himself,....hands covering his Neck,...Waiting,...and all ends Well,..."

Yes, Calm,... is Good
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

AGL4NOW...Can we parachute you over North Korea so you can take out Kim Jong Ils little fat son. Then report back to the Pentagon for your next mission. HOOAH!
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post

My thoughts exactly ~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

How many gray hairs did you gain? Maybe the right question is how many hairs did you lose? WOW!!!!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Might be that the true lesson to be learned in this thread is hygene....after days in the bush you stunk so bad even the bear couldn't stand to nibble on you....at least that's how I FEEL after days in the bush with minimal opportunities to bathe.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

Possible new movie...."The bear whisperer"

Jeez AGL why didn't you tell that story on Kodiak this past spring?!?! We heard a couple but nothing as entertaining as that one. Probably coulda got you to reenact it with a little tequila to help ya out!!
    Great story
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Unbelievable. The bear was like "Man, I can eat a deer carcass or a dead whale but that **** is nasty." That bear earned a free pass on that hunt!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I agree, even being in that submissive posture may have triggered some unwanted advances!
    "Grin and Bear It"

What a story! I would have added to the "aroma" in my pants in that situation. Definately a good campfire story.

AZinAK

Well Amigo he did say he was out there for 60 days so.....hmmm.

That is one truley amazing bear story. WOW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast