Thread: Why the diffence in reviews of flight services?

Default Why the diffence in reviews of flight services?

I would really like to do a drop hunt for the Western Artic Herd, but I cannot find any flight services that are recommended. Yes, I have found many flight services/outfitters, but they all recieve poor reviews. Yet I have read favorable reviews from several outfitters that service the Mulchatna herd. Why is this? Are there no decent outfitters that fly in to the western artic herd?

Default yep

Although there are mixed reviews about the majority, try researching Eric Sieh with Hageland Aviation. Hard to get a hold of, but doubt you'll be disappointed.

Usually unrealistic expectations. Make sure there is a clear understanding of what the air service may do for the cost. They are also restricted by law for things they can and cannot do for you.

I understand about unrealistic expectations, but I've been searching a lot and have yet to find much consensus on a flight service out of Kotz. On the other hand, I've found many highly recommended outfitters that will drop you on the Mulchatna herd. Talon Air and Trail Ridge are two that come to mind.

Default air taxis vs. guides & outfitters who fly

Just to clear up any misconceptions regarding the safety issue of air taxis vs. guides & outfitters who fly, there is a definite distinction between them as far as the FAA and the insurance industry is concerned. Air taxis are covered in Part 135 of the FAA rules; and guides & outfitters are covered in Part 91. If you ask the FAA youíll find that the vast majority of small plane accidents in Alaska involve air taxis and not guides & outfitters. Thatís why the insurance premiums on air taxis are so high. In short, air taxis are statistically a much higher risk than guides & outfitters. Thought y'all would like to know this when considering a fly in hunt.

Bill Hefner

There you have it guys. Don't fly with the outfits that have required insp periods on their aircraft. Don't fly with the businesses that are required to actually train their pilots and go thru recurrent training every 6 months. Don't fly with the guys who carry the highest level of liability insurance(another requirement).

Do your flying with the part 91 guys who have almost no required maint., no required training, and carry a lower insurance level. Fly with the guys who have almost NO oversight from the FAA. Sure sounds safer to me!

Hey okie...........I've seen good reviews on both the transporters operating out of Bettles. Talk to them.............but they both are 135 I believe.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    There you have it guys. Don't fly with the outfits that have required insp periods on their aircraft. Don't fly with the businesses that are required to actually train their pilots and go thru recurrent training every 6 months. Don't fly with the guys who carry the highest level of liability insurance(another requirement).

Do your flying with the part 91 guys who have almost no required maint., no required training, and carry a lower insurance level. Fly with the guys who have almost NO oversight from the FAA. Sure sounds safer to me!
    Ill second that.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post

Hey okie...........I've seen good reviews on both the transporters operating out of Bettles. Talk to them.............but they both are 135 I believe.
    Thanks MartenTrapper. Can you tell me who they are? ALso, what what do you mean they both are 135? Thanks.

FAR part 135..............the federal regulations that small operators using aircraft for hire must operate under.
    In Bettles are Brooks Range Aviation, and Bettles Lodge. I think they both offer service into areas that may have decent bou hunting in unit 23 or 26. Bettles operators are an alternative to Kotz for hunting Western Arctic herd bou.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thumbs up Ram Aviation in Kotzebue

I've used Mike Spisak/Ram Aviation in Kotzebue many times and have no complaints. In and out on time and we do the hunting. I'm not sure that I've seen any bad reviews about them. He's usually booked up way in advance is the only problem. Maybe a little more expensive too but I've always brought animals home and I don't have any problems getting a hold of him. www.huntandfishalaska.net if you haven't seen his web site. I'm booked this year again with him. As far as safety goes for commercial operators, keep in mind that they fly 12 months out of the year and probably 10 times the flying hours that a guide puts in flying on the average year.

Thanks. I checked out the websites for both Bettles and Brooks, but they didn't have prices or much information on hunting. Do they have pachages for drop hunts, or do you need to know exactly where you are going then hire them to transport you there?

Just give them a call. Both outfits are nice folks and will give you the straight scoop first hand.

Has anyone used Northern Air Trophy? Would you recommend them?

Default Northern Air Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by okbowman View Post
    Has anyone used Northern Air Trophy? Would you recommend them?
    I had a great experience with Northern Air Trophy in September 2006. Their equipment was "top of the line" and I doubt anyone has better food sent out with their hunters. Matt and Julie Owen were very personable and they have a helpful Web site for pre-trip planning. I would give them a "10" out of 10. We saw about 100 bulls, several were nice trophies and I chose an old bull that had a nice rack and a beautiful solid white cape. Their team was very helpful with the preparation of meat prior to departure. Good luck!