Thread: GM-10 Instrument

Question GM-10 Instrument

Does anyone have experience with the Garmin GM-10 marine instruments in their boats?
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

I do. What would you like to know?
    "Money may not buy you happiness, but it will buy you a big enough boat that you can get close enough for a look."

I am trying to reduce the cluster on my dash so I was thinking about adding it to my network & was curious about how user friendly it was & how it is for customizing screens. Awhile back, I heard that the first versions had some software issues and was wanting to find out how users felt about it. Do you have any comments good or bad about it?
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

My experience with them has been excellent. I have two of them installed in a NMEA 2000 network (all Garmin) that includes dual 7212 plotters, a GHP 10 auto pilot, and a VHF 200. As I was deciding whether to make the additional investment in the GM10s, I was puzzled by the lack of really comprehensive info about the units online. The Garmin web site just has a PDF quick-start guide, which IMO really under-serves the capabilities of this units.

Basically, with a NMEA 2000 network that is properly installed, you can display any functions tracked by the system, on any of the devices capable of displaying that data. For me, this includes two sounders/plotters plus two GMI-10 displays. The displays are fully customizable, changing them is quick and intuitive once you learn the basic scheme, and the printed Garmin guide (as opposed to their online stuff) is very good. I use one of my GMI-10s as a "fuel use center", and have it split into a quad display showing total fuel flow in GPH, fuel economy in MPH, total fuel on board, and remaining range. The other GMI-10 is formatted as an "engine monitor" (also in quad display) and shows RPM for engines 1 & 2, with fuel flow in GPH for each engine.

There is a sub-menu for each unit (which you can scroll to with the press of one button) that I have set up as a "gauge pack" for each engine. I think I have RPM, GPH, water temp and oil pressure in a quad display. The units even have a neat feature where you can format most of the gauges as digital, or analog. You can even mix and match within the display, with (for example) RPM and GPH in digital, and MPH and water temp in analog.

In short, I am a big fan of Garmin's GMI-10s! I admit that I was frustrated with the lack of really good information on their capabilities as I was researching them. It was only after speaking with an independent marine technician who is an authorized Garmin installer, and having him explain how all the Garmin components work together on the network, and how flexible the displays are, that I made the decision to "splurge" on dual plotters and dual GMI-10s.

Post #33 on Page 2 of this thread has a couple of photos of my displays, but keep in mind they are completely customizable. Anything that you have a sensor for (engine functions), or that the network is capable of detecting (everything else) can be displayed almost anywhere: On the sounder screen (in a bunch of different predetermined locations) or on the GMI-10 displays (choice of whole screen or split into 2, 3 or 4 sections). Plus you can do sub-screens on the GMI-10 that you can scroll through with one button, giving you even more display options.

I hope this info is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please post and I'll see what I can do.

~Steve
    "Money may not buy you happiness, but it will buy you a big enough boat that you can get close enough for a look."

Default GM-10 Instrument

I installed mine last year for the purpose of fuel management. I have found that it is very accurate (+- .5 gal) on fuel consumption. User friendly and customizable. I like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the replies guys. Steve is right, the online information available is sparse, to be kind.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856